Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 03:09:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Cas City  |  Greetings!  |  Topic: Writing a novel, need expert help with shotguns 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Writing a novel, need expert help with shotguns  (Read 926 times)
Blom
Citizen

« on: September 28, 2015, 12:29:45 pm »

Hello All  Cheesy

I am a writer from Denmark. I am currently writing a novel set in the 1890's in Louisiana. I was wonderring if any of you could educate me on shotguns from that time. I was reading some of your discussions, and it sounds like you have some pretty amazing knowlegde in here!! So I am hoping you do not mind me asking!

The character whom I need the weapon for, is not a very skilled marksman. So therefore he is given a shotgun, a Spencer-Bannerman and a short winchester 22 both with pump action. But then I started to do a bit more research and now I'm pretty sure those weapons are not what I need  Huh

What I would like to have, is something that makes a huge hole with minimun of aim, but with shells, not with the front loading blackpowder and bullit. Something that you can load pretty quickly.

Does that, or should I say, DID that even exist?

If any of you could come up with some ideas, maybe with pictures, I would be so gratefull you cant even emagine!!! Its a jungle out there  Undecided

Best regards
Josefine
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 04:57:40 pm »

Parker Bros. , Greener even a Colt  SXS in 10 gauge or 88 Hammerless in 12 Guage  , Remington Whitmore M 1878 or the 1882 all fall just before your time frame.
There were others, but those will be the best known names.
If it were my description, I'd avoid , cut down so called Coach guns... though popular in CAS.
They were not unknown in the period, but cutting them was not all that common....   

Some other Idea's might be 73 Springfield forager ( smooth bore ) , Spencer made a short lived pump in 1878
and Winchester had a lever action Shotgun
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 10:35:40 pm »

Here is a summary that I prepared a few years back;

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,53423.0.html

There was always a lag between introduction of a new model and widespread adoption. Cost was a large factor, and farmers & cowboys were not wealthy. An Eastern Ranch owner might have the latest shotgun, but the ordinary folk usually not. A Lawman was paid about three times more than a cowboy and had a much greater need for the most effective firearms he could afford. Outlaws also had a need for firearms, and as now, usually found them by unconventional means.

Farmers, settlers, sodbusters, or whatever they were called, were usually cash-poor and had to make do with a single shot gun. Early in our period a war surplus musket had to suffice.  Later on, Remington (1867 - 1892) supplied economical single shot cartridge guns. With 100,000 made up until 1892 it is highly likely that a rolling block shotgun could be found in the hands of a budget minded hunter.

I didn't have catalogues or shipping documents to consult to gather information on what items actually made the trip out West. I do know that in the 1880's and '90's percussion guns were still being sold at VERY low prices, but were not really considered practical.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Blom
Citizen

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:44:50 am »

Thanks guys, you are awesome!!!
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:40:38 am »

Blom; You are welcome Cool

This forum contains information on many aspects of life in the period 1866 to 1899. Fell free to come back if you need accurate information. Do browse around to see what is on offer. Smiley

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Cas City  |  Greetings!  |  Topic: Writing a novel, need expert help with shotguns « previous next »
Jump to: