Author Topic: Bullet moulds  (Read 4631 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bullet moulds
« on: September 18, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
Do any of you loan out your bullet moulds? I used to, but not now.

A while back, when a pal acquired a Hi-Wall in 45-110, I annealed a batch of brass for him and loaned him a Lyman 457125 mould I'd owned for decades. It was well broken in and cast beautiful bullets.

It came back to me trashed! Lead spattered inside (?) and out. I was able to clean it up and salvage it. Then I presented it to him saying that he just purchased a bullet mould. He anted up the money and I replaced it.

Lesson learned. I take care of my moulds, cleaning and lubing them after each casting session. I'll never understand people who don't.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Bullet moulds
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
PJ,

No I don't!
I may let someone try out a firearm of mine... but only with my ammo, while I'm present and under my direct supervision.
Books don't go out of the house either.
All for the same reasons you posted.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Ditto that on books! I've had to fight to get some books back from borrowers and then been shocked at their condition upon their return.
Now you want to research something, ask me and I'll look it up for you.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:57 PM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 04:19:02 PM »
PJ,

After retiring from gunsmithing, One of my joys is to share my knowledge with people on forums like this.
Problem is I generally can't post images I have collected, or that are from my collection, that may help people with their quest.
Its all rather frustrating sometimes. I don't even try anymore, and usually just ignore those threads where photos would help.
My best.
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 05:05:59 PM »
If someone wants to "borrow" a mould, they can come to my place and use it under my supervision.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »
PJ,

After retiring from gunsmithing, One of my joys is to share my knowledge with people on forums like this.
Problem is I generally can't post images I have collected, or that are from my collection, that may help people with their quest.
Its all rather frustrating sometimes. I don't even try anymore, and usually just ignore those threads where photos would help.
My best.
 Blair

Blair...sometimes images can be hard to post, but once you figure it out it is very simple... In this case.. here is your avitar pic I just posted...all I did was right click your picture,....then, clicked copy image URL and then as I post here I clicked the little image icon from the table of options and then typed "Ctrl & "V" at the same time...that is how I got the image icon to show in this post as well.

Some of the biggest troulble you will have is the "//http" part of an image address will double expose it's self sometimes and then your image will not show...you just need to back space that extra //http out of the address so there is only one showing in the image address..for example like this...with only one http:// showing between the img brackets.. [img]  http://www.cascity.com/forumhall...
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
Now the image/picture has to exist someplace on the internet for it to have an address... the picture has to be loaded onto an internet album someplace...or use a company like photobucket or imageshak.....so to post pictures from you computer to "this" site your will have to use this method...some sites will allow a direct upload from your computer.

I use one of my albums here to post some of my pictures.. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/album.php?albumid=995 This is my album but I made it public so folks can see my pics.. Here is one of my sharps from that album

www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
Freedom,

Thanks.
With your instructions I was able to post an image in "Frontier Iron".
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 08:29:26 AM »
I've learned not to loan anything.
My wife loaned her sister one of my books once. I got it back a year later, minus the dust cover, after she had loaned it to a friend.
I loaned some tools to a cop in a small town I use to live in and didn't get them all back.
I loaned a new 16oz framing hammer to my oldest son and got a 14oz hammer back that had black electricians tape holding the handle together. I hung it on the wall so I could always be reminded about loaning stuff.
And my middle son: he asked to borrow my truck for a couple of days and two years later he still had it. In fact I never got it back. My oldest daughter bought me a newer truck and paid me for the truck my son had. She takes care of her Daddy.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »
"Neither a lender or a borrower be." Still makes a lot of sense. The "honour system" works, but only amongst honourable people.

Whenever I've been extended the courtesy of borrowing something, I've treated it like my own and returned it in as it was loaned to me - or better.

It all boils down to an individual's sense of responsibility, or the lack of it.

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 09:42:23 AM »
I've learned not to loan anything.
My wife loaned her sister one of my books once. I got it back a year later, minus the dust cover, after she had loaned it to a friend.
I loaned some tools to a cop in a small town I use to live in and didn't get them all back.
I loaned a new 16oz framing hammer to my oldest son and got a 14oz hammer back that had black electricians tape holding the handle together. I hung it on the wall so I could always be reminded about loaning stuff.
And my middle son: he asked to borrow my truck for a couple of days and two years later he still had it. In fact I never got it back. My oldest daughter bought me a newer truck and paid me for the truck my son had. She takes care of her Daddy.

X2....

Doesn't matter whether it was tools, or books or what-have-you, seems like folks I have loaned things to
never took care of the items. Further, I have had a lot that were not returned at all including some
cherished book titles that I couldn't replace. After a while it was "no more Mr. Nice Guy".

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com