Author Topic: Boer War Canadian-Issue Colt New Service revolver  (Read 8675 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Boer War Canadian-Issue Colt New Service revolver
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:52:33 PM »
A few months ago I acquired a well-worn but complete and fully functional First Model Colt New Service revolver, chambered in .455 Eley, with a Canadian Department of Militia & Defence property mark stamped on the bottom of the grip frame -

Yesterday, I received my Colt Factory Letter for this revolver -

The First Canadian Contingent to South Africa were armed with the Colt Model 1878 Double Action revolvers which had been acquired for the 1885 North West Rebellion (chambered in .45 Colt) but the Dept. of Militia & Defence had to purchase several batches of additional revolvers, opting for the New Service.  The first shipment were apparently also chambered in .45 Colt, but subsequent shipments were chambered in .455 Eley at the request of the British War Department, which was in fact supplying all of the troops in South Africa, and understandably preferred service revolvers to be chambered for their own cartridge.  All other troops from the rest of the Empire had .455 revolvers, so it must have been a logistical headache to have to supply .45 Colt cartridges also!

Anyway, the first batch of revolvers chambered in .455 was this shipment of April 3, 1900 ....  Lewis Brothers and Company were Colt Distributors in Canada, and Captain Benoit was the Militia & Defence Purchasing Agent ....   A Lewis Brothers advertisement of that period -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Boer War Canadian-Issue Colt New Service revolver
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:53:47 AM »
VERY cool, Jack!  So how's it shoot?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:33:05 AM »

Once again, you have managed to unearth another historic Canadian Military revolver-with original finish too-what an exciting find!!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:20:48 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:00:41 AM »
Great find Jack; 8) 8)  

Have you found any revolvers meant for Strathcona's Horse?

http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions/boer/strathconahorse_e.shtml

(BTW; I finally fired my Canadian Militia issue 1878 with Schofield BP rounds under an RCBS Keith type bullet. Only 5 shots but VERY accurate 8))
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
EXCELLENT!

Will it make an appearance at next year's Grand Muster?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
That is just super cool! Congratulations on the great new revolver!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
I functions just fine, and is quite accurate (nice bore) but I must confess that I find the ergonomics of the New Service revolver relatively poor, when compared with most of my other handguns., particularly the various Webleys. That said, it could well make an appearance at Muster. 

I actually acquired another one of these in .455 of roughly the same vintage (SN 4087 versus 3633 for the M&D-marked revolver) a couple of years ago which I had hopes of making my "shooter", since it had been heavily buffed (partially or fully obliterating most of the markings) before being re-blued .... so its collector value has been severely reduced, although it does "look good" from a few feet away -

I got a good price on this revolver because of its refinish and the fact that it does not lock up properly.  The chap I had try to fix the lockup problem said he was unable to do so because the necessary part differs on these First Model revolvers from the same part on the later "Improved Model" which is much more common and for which all the available parts seem to be made ....   ::)

I suppose I will have to disassemble both of them (along with the 1918-vintage "Improved Model" I also own) over the winter and see what can be done.  (I gather the damaged part cannot be made by modifying the equivalent part from an "Improved Model" because they differ too much, but I suppose I'll need to see for myself.)

Anyone know of a source for parts specifically for the First Model New Service revolver?
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »
Forgive me here, but what exactly is the .455 Eley? I'm guessing it's a variation of the .455 Webley cartridge?
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
Yes, it is a commercial designation for essentially the same cartridge ..... as is ".455 Colt" in North America.  Although there may be some very slight variations in case length and/or bullet configuration, they are interchangeable.

In fact, all three British military service revolver cartridges of the 19th Century (.450 Adams, .455/.476 Enfield and .455 Webley are really all .455 caliber, and all could be fired in the .476 Enfield and .455 Webley service revolvers.  British service revolver bullets and chamber throats were generally under bore size, but were hollow-base designs, which expanded to groove diameter - generally in the .476" range.  One minor exception to the ".455 rule" - the Mark III Enfield cartridge used a heeled bullet of which the major diameter was actually .476".

The earliest British metallic-cartridge service revolver, the .450 Adams, used the shortest cartridges, so unfortunately a .450 Adams revolver won't chamber the later cartridges, but each successive type of revolver would chamber and fire the earlier service ammunition in addition to the cartridge specifically developed for them. 

The case of the .455 Webley Mark II cartridge (smokeless) was shorter than the Mark I case (the original black powder loading) since it was found that the cordite propellant functioned more efficiently in a shorter case.  However, all of the variations of the Webley service revolver introduced after the switchover to smokeless ammunition (up to and including the Mark VI revolver adopted in 1916) intentionally had chambers which would accept the earlier Mark I round (or the earlier Enfield and Adams cartridges, for that matter.) 

As a matter of fact, the Enfield and Webley service revolver designs were both adopted and put into production before finalization of a cartridge designed specifically for them, so the War Department's "List of Changes" in each case specified that they were to be used at first with the earlier service ammunition.

As an example of the interchangeability of these cartridges, one often sees commercial-production British revolvers marked as ".450/.455", ".455.476" and so on ....

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »
Yes, it is a commercial designation for essentially the same cartridge ..... as is ".455 Colt" in North America.  Although there may be some very slight variations in case length and/or bullet configuration, they are interchangeable.

In fact, all three British military service revolver cartridges of the 19th Century (.450 Adams, .455/.476 Enfield and .455 Webley are really all .455 caliber, and all could be fired in the .476 Enfield and .455 Webley service revolvers.  British service revolver bullets and chamber throats were generally under bore size, but were hollow-base designs, which expanded to groove diameter - generally in the .476" range.  One minor exception to the ".455 rule" - the Mark III Enfield cartridge used a heeled bullet of which the major diameter was actually .476".

The earliest British metallic-cartridge service revolver, the .450 Adams, used the shortest cartridges, so unfortunately a .450 Adams revolver won't chamber the later cartridges, but each successive type of revolver would chamber and fire the earlier service ammunition in addition to the cartridge specifically developed for them. 

The case of the .455 Webley Mark II cartridge (smokeless) was shorter than the Mark I case (the original black powder loading) since it was found that the cordite propellant functioned more efficiently in a shorter case.  However, all of the variations of the Webley service revolver introduced after the switchover to smokeless ammunition (up to and including the Mark VI revolver adopted in 1916) intentionally had chambers which would accept the earlier Mark I round (or the earlier Enfield and Adams cartridges, for that matter.) 

As a matter of fact, the Enfield and Webley service revolver designs were both adopted and put into production before finalization of a cartridge designed specifically for them, so the War Department's "List of Changes" in each case specified that they were to be used at first with the earlier service ammunition.

As an example of the interchangeability of these cartridges, one often sees commercial-production British revolvers marked as ".450/.455", ".455.476" and so on ....

Ah okay, gotcha. Thank you for the information, it's much appreciated.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »

Thanks for the info on the service revolver cartridges Jack.

I finally fired my Canadian Militia issue 1878........................

You have one of these-Outstanding Sir Charles!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
Rattlesnake Jack has been able to many Canadian military firearms over the years.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
... many Canadian military firearms ....

Yes, my collection now includes good, shootable original examples of most of the primary-issue rifles and all of the primary-issue handguns used by the Canadian military since Confederation created the Dominion of Canada in 1867 through to the 1950's (with a few original - or reproduction - pre-Confederation military firearms.

Since this is my thread, I guess I will allow myself to shamelessly hijack it to showcase the gems of my collection .....   ;)  (As many of you will know, I shoot most of these firearms (and other vintage firearms in my collection which aren't Canadian military issue ...)

First Installment - Long Guns in Canadian Military Service -
(If there is interest, I can do a second installment, showing my Canadian-issue military handguns ....)

Short Land Pattern musket (.75 cal. - "Brown Bess" - reproduction)

Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle Musket (.577 cal. - Parker-Hale reproduction)

Canadian-contract Peabody rifle (.50-60 rimfire, with center-fire conversion block, Canada Militia markings)

Model 1865 Spencer rifle (.56-50 center-fire, reproduction; originals were rimfire; of an estimated total of only about 3,000 original Model 1865 rifles manufactured, fully 2,000 came to Canada to arm the Militia, along with 2,300 Model 1865 Spencer carbines)

Snider-Enfield Rifle (.577 single shot breechloading conversion of muzzle-loading Enfield rifle.) The Snider conversion was a "stop-gap" adopted in 1866 to get the British Army armed with breechloaders, during development of the Martini-Henry rifle which was formally adopted in 1874.  Canada's Militia was fully re-armed with Sniders by the end of 1867, but the design then remained Canada's primary-issue military rifle until 1896/97, when issues of Magazine Lee-Enfield rifles finally began!

Snider-Enfield Short Rifle, issued to Sergeants of Line Infantry, all Other Ranks (enlisted men) in units designated as "Rifles" and, when it was finally established in 1885, the Mounted Infantry School Corps of Canada's very small full-time "Permanent Militia".  Background image is a studio portrait of members of the newly-formed Mounted Infantry unit in winter kit ....

Snider-Enfield cavalry carbine, issued to Militia cavalry units and, when if was formed in 1873, the North West Mounted Police.  Background image shows a troop of Militia cavalry exercising in the winter.

Although the Snider remained Canada's primary-issue military longarm for about 30 years, the Department of Militia & Defence did acquire some Martini-Henry rifles (.577/.450 single-shot), including 2,100 2nd Pattern Mark I rifles, which predated the final "Approved Pattern" finally adopted in mid-1874.  Ordered in December of 1873, they were received in early 1874, but then were promptly squirreled away in Stores, until a few were finally issued on a very limited basis - e.g. to the Royal Military College and, even later, to the Infantry School Corps of the Permanent Militia.  Otherwise, their issue was confined almost entirely to "loan" to military and civilian target-shooting teams .... who had to compete with Martini-Henry rifles in the Service Rifle Competitions so popular in the Empire.  Although a British War Department directive required that all early-pattern Mark I rifles on issue with British forces be returned for conversion to the final "Approved Pattern", the 2,100 rifles in Canada remained unaltered, and it is estimated that most 2nd Pattern Mk I Martini-Henry rifles still surviving in an unaltered state - in effect, they are "trials rifles" - were part of the Canadian batch.  This is one of them .... in keeping with the extensive use of these rifles mainly for shooting competitions, the background shows Canadian Militia riflemen competing at such a match -

When the 1885 North West Rebellion broke out, Canadian authorities in a great panic ordered 10,000 new Martini-Henry rifles, with ammunition .... the rifles (of the Mark III pattern then in production) were shipped very promptly but, since the Rebellion lasted only a few months, the rifles arrived too late to be issued .... so almost all of the Canadian infantry deployed during the Rebellion were armed with Sniders. Canada was permitted to return 5,000 of the rifles and half the ammunition, with the balance going into Stores and seeing quite limited use .... again, primarily for Service Rifle shooting competitions.  This is one of the 1885 Mark III rifles; the background image is a rifle team of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada -

Within a few years of the founding of the North West Mounted Police, the Force replaced their Snider cavalry carbines with a special "musket stocked" Winchester Model 1876 carbine chambered in .45-75, and a quantity of the same model was also acquired by the Department of Militia & Defence, which issued them to the sole Permanent Militia cavalry troop engaged in the 1885 Rebellion, as well as to the various un-uniformed Provisional mounted units raised in the North West.  I have one of the modern reproductions of that model of Winchester carbine -

The British Army's first general-issue repeating rifle was the .303 cal. "Rifle, Magazine, Lee-Metford", adopted in 1888.  (Canada acquired a relative few of these rifles carbines, and I do have a Lee-Metford rifle, albeit not illustrated here.)  The .303 cartridge was always intended to be a smokeless round, but development of cordite (Britain's long-time military smokeless propellant) was not yet complete, so the first .303 cartridges were actually loaded with a highly compressed charge of black powder.  When the smokeless version of the cartridge was introduced, it was soon found that the shallow, non-angular Metford-design rifling (which was excellent for minimizing the effects of black powder fouling) eroded very rapidly with the much higher-temperature gases generated by cordite.  Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield was tasked with coming up with a new rifling design; when, starting in 1896, the new rifling system was substituted in rifles which were otherwise almost identical externally to the then-current Lee-Metford rifle, it was called the "Rifle, Magazine, Lee- Enfield".  Canada acquired 40,000 of these rifles in 1896, and began re-arming its Militia with them, to replace the sadly obsolete Snider-Enfield rifles. Many of the earlier Lee-Metford rifles were still on issue in the British Army and with other Empire forces during the Boer War of 1899-1902, and only Canada's troop contingents were armed exclusively with the "state-of-the-art" Magazine Lee-Enfield rifle .... an amazing contrast with the state of their armament just a few years earlier!  Here is my Magazine Lee-Enfield rifle, surmounting a period photo of Canadian Mounted Rifles in South Africa during the Boer War, and followed by a shot of me shooting it at a GAF Grand Muster -

As part of the hard-learned lessons of the Boer War (during which British forces came up against well-armed "European" opponents for the first time in over half a century) it was decided that having separate "long" infantry rifles and shorter carbines for other applications (cavalry, artillery, etc.) a single model of shorter rifle should be adopted for universal use.  This gave rise to the famous "Rifle, Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield" (S.M.L.E.) adopted in 1903.  Having experienced great difficulty in acquiring additional "Long" Lee-Enfield rifles during the Boer War (almost all production being allocated by the War Department to the British Army) and forcing the Canadian authorities to strip units remaining in Canada of their Lee-Enfield rifles, the Canadian Government resolved that it would henceforth insist that its military be armed with a rifle manufactured in Canada.  You may have heard that Britain "refused" to allow establishment of a facility in Canada to produce the new S.M.L.E. rifle.  That is not entirely correct - in fact, such facilities were established in Australia and pre-partition India/Pakistan.  As I read things, the niggardly Canadian government wanted Britain to pay for such a factory (and its necessary equipment ), which Britain (understandably) declined! Enter Sir Charles Ross offering his unique straight-pull bolt-action rifle design, manufacture of sporting models of which had begun in 1897, with production in Canada beginning in 1903.  He convinced the authorities that this design could be readily adapted to a military rifle, chambered in .303 British, and the "rest is history", as they say.  The first military configuration (Mark I) of 1903 was really just a limited-production prototype, and many alterations to correct numerous defects resulted in the Mark II Ross (1905).  Various deficiencies resulted in a totally re-designed rifle, the Mark III (1910) which became Canada's standard-issue rifle that year.  Canadian troops went off to War in 1914 armed with the Ross but, despite its exceptional strength and accuracy, the overly fine mechanical tolerances of the design caused it to fail miserably as a battle rifle in the horrible conditions of trench warfare. (Another design defect allowed a disassembled bolt to be re-assembled incorrectly, so that it would not lock into battery when a cartridge was chambered, although the rifle would still fire, causing a catastrophic blow-back of the bolt, but this has been hugely over-blown, and a "fix" was soon developed and applied to most rifles in service.) At any rate, the Ross was withdrawn from front-line Canadian service in 1916, and replaced by the S.M.L.E.  Here is my Mark III Ross rifle -

My collection does continue into the mid-20th Century, and includes this .303 S.M.L.E. rifle (also known, generally, as the No. 1 Mark III), this WWII-production Canadian (Long Branch Arsenal in Ontario) No. 4 Mk I* Lee-Enfield, and an example of the short-lived No. 5 Lee-Enfield (often erroneously called the "Jungle Carbine") -

So .... did I bore you to sleep, or is there any interest in a handgun installment?

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 02:19:37 AM »
Show us the handguns! Always up for some great firearms to ogle  ;D

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 05:56:03 AM »
VERY, VERY cool, Grant!  Bring on the short guns!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline LT Col Long

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 54278
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 07:35:46 AM »
More history, Jack!!  Very enjoyable reading!!

Especially enjoyed the parts pertaining to the SMLE rifles!  Gave one to my daughter and am thinking of buying another.

Read all of the pistol parts too!!

LtCol Long

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »

Yes, of course, more history lessons and guns is a good thing!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »

+1
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 07:53:50 PM »

Yes, Yes, Yes   What Charles said
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com