Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 12:48:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  WESTERN 3 GUN (Moderators: Sam Houston, Black Jack Traven)  |  Topic: W3G near Jacksonville FL? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: W3G near Jacksonville FL?  (Read 22546 times)
tommy4toes
Top Active Citizen

« on: August 25, 2015, 04:57:17 am »

I'm really excited to try this........anything in the NE Florida area?

tommy4toes
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:55 am »

I'd be surprised, hasn't been promoted much in several years... no matches at CFR&P in at least 3-4 years .
Kinda weathered away , literally at the last match I attend had to be 2011 , just 7 shooters , and they over heated and pulled the plug @ 5 stages... none since then.

This very thread is the only activity on the BB in sometime.  
I haven't seem anything posted since May of 2015 . Where they still hold matches on the left coast , near North LA
beyond that,  there was a post a year ago.

tommy4toes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:50:15 am »

OK thanks for the info........I'll keep looking around. I did hear of a match still going at Malabar FL - not sure where that is though.

tommy4toes
Blair
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:11:45 am »

tommy,

Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club. They have a web site.
It is off I-95 South of Melbourne, FL. West on Malabar Road, then turn south on Hurly Road to the end.
I believe the Cowboy shoot is still the 4th Sat. of every month.
My best,
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21
Crossdrawnj
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:52:19 am »

Ancient City Shooting Range in St. Augustine, Fl. has cowboy matches. They have a web site.
TUCO-the-ratt
Active citizen

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:26:48 pm »

Why the lack of interest in Western 3 Gun? From what I can tell it looks like fun.
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 05:54:37 am »

if you visit their Websites ... that's Port Malabar or Ancient City and view their calendar , Yes,  you will find western/cowboy action shooting.
Not Western 3 Gun, as I stated has dried up about 4 years ago... I haven't seen it offered in years....

It is still offered, where is started,  on the left coast (that's USA , California that is , swimm'n' pools , movie stars as the song goes ) in North LA.  

As to why Tuco ?  ... I suspect old men in Tenni-lamas VS   95 degree heat & 95% humidity = Grim Reaper

I was kind & perhaps vague when is stated ...Kinda weathered away , literally

That's the skinny,  please refrain beating the messenger, it was not directed to contradict any living being  Sad  

* W3gun.jpg (151.57 KB, 738x507 - viewed 236 times.)
Tornado
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 08:15:32 am »

Why the lack of interest in Western 3 Gun? From what I can tell it looks like fun.

I agree, it does looks more fun than SASS.  I'm no expert but I think the main reason is W3G is less popular is because it is much more difficult to set up.  There are barriers/props to prevent you from seeing all the targets at once.  I think the targets have bonus 'trap doors', so they are slightly more expensive too.   Remember stages are all set up by volunteers. 
I wonder if anyone has used cardboard at a W3G style match?
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 05:54:41 pm »

W3G "was" lots of fun.  Fun for everybody 'but" the set up crew.  Also very difficult to insure safety.

CAS/WAS has some movement.  W3G is ALL movement.  From the the beep of the timer until the last shot, the shooter is on the move.
Shooting on the move, loading on the move, staging/retrieving guns on the move.  The spotters and timer folk are also on the move with the shooter.  We played it hard here at my home range.  Way too much work for too little return.  On a hot day, with humidity most
were unable to finish 6 stages.

I don't really know what use cardboard would be.  Props are required to mask targets, define shooters route, stage firearms, it gets real intense.  You kind of have to imagine an IPSC match in cowboy clothes, with cowboy guns.  There is a point when it stops being fun and becomes a grind.  To use temporary cardboard to do even a third of it, you'd have to raid every source of cardboard in town for three days prior.

Coffinmaker
tommy4toes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 08:13:34 pm »

To me, it sounds like a blast.....but then I am younger than the average CAS shooters. I can see where constant motion would be an issue for some.

Makes me think of Playas, NM - old Phelps-Dodge company town that was bought by the government. It's now used as a "shoot" town for urban warfare training.

tommy4toes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  WESTERN 3 GUN (Moderators: Sam Houston, Black Jack Traven)  |  Topic: W3G near Jacksonville FL? « previous next »
Jump to: