Author Topic: Hello the forum..long time  (Read 3543 times)

Offline marine-mp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello the forum..long time
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »
Hello pards... long time since I've been on Cas-City.  I used to visit quite often on the leatherworking thread.  I'm looking to perhaps get into some BP revolver-type shooting. ...something along the lines of a Army or Navy weapon.  Was hoping you gents could point me into something that would peak my interest or what you might have started with.  I would like to keep my costs at a minimal,  as this is a new venture and Mama says I already have enough shooters in the safe.  Thanks for any intel.  Semper-fi  Mike

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Hello the forum..long time
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
Go to Cabela's, cheapest for new guns, and make a choice that turns you on.

May as well pick the ones that you will buy next. Save you a little time that way.  They're like potato chips, can't have just one.

My preference would steer you toward the Colt style guns.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
C'mon, Noz, Colt's revolvers aren't the only ones. I've got an equal number of Remingtons. If he tries the 6" barreled Remington he might just think it's the cat's meow. The Remmies hold a smidge more powder too. I'll admit though, the Colt's are purdier to look at (especially the 1860 Army).
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:55:41 AM »

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
1861's would be my choice. All the refinements of the 1860, with Navy grips and 36 caliber.

If you have big hands and large long thumbs go with the Remmy's. I have had both over the years. Now, my nod goes to Colt. I have 1851's, 1860's & 1861's, of all, my favorite is the 1861's.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 05:23:54 PM »
Here's the good news.  We have choices depending on what fits and what we enjoy.  Get the ones that blow yer skirt up and don't take no flack on your choice.  This game is about fun.  Probably you'll never win the big belt buckle, but you'll buckle on a lot of great friends.

Best,

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »

Yea.  What Dastardly said.  Besides ....... Remington "Bark" the heck outta my middle finger.  Don't like em.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 06:19:36 PM »
I ain't gittin in too the Colt/Remington debate other than to comment that if you got big paws, you will probably like the Colt style better. The trigger guard on the Remmies can be problematic for those with big mits.  I'm a proud Remington shooter and firmly believe that it's a much better designed gun, but I gots little hands.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline marine-mp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, Pards.  I've been researching all the suggestions and will take into consideration all the fun factors!!!!!  ;D   Semper-fi.       Mike

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 09:31:52 PM »
If you're not hung up on historical authenticity, don't forget Ruger Old Army's.  They combine the best qualities of Colt and Remington. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, as I'm normally an authenticity nut.  But nothing equals the reliability of a Ruger Old Army.  It's the only time I deviate from historically authentic.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline marine-mp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
Well Pards....me thinks I've found me one of those BP shooters!!  It's an early Armi San Paolo..1858.....44.......never shot and in great shape, so the manager says.  Yep...says "she only drove it on Sunday's"!!!  $115.00 plus $25 for shipping.  Now I been watching Mike Bellevieu (?) on Youtube and he speaks of a "Armi  San Marco.  Can someone "splain if these two companies are one-in-the-same???   If not, is the Armi San Paolo a good piece??  Gettin' kinda anxious....if yah know what I mean!!  :~) Thanks for the help, All.  Semper-fi.       Mike

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »
Marine-MP,
The Armi San Paolo (ASP) is not the same as Armi San Marco (ASM). I happen to like the ASPs better because I do not have beefy hands and the ASPs are the lightes, smallest framed New Model Armys (NMA) out there. I find they point and wield better than the much beefier Piettas. I believe they are a similar copy of the Beals version of the NMA as they show very few barrel threads compared to the actual NMA. The ASPs can be a pig in a poke. I've had one that spit lead so badly that it would lock up in two shots (I've also had SS Piettas that did that too). I was able to pop in an Uberti cylinder and was good to go. If you have construction worker hands the grip will be too small for you. I have 5 ASPs and 3 Ubertis. No Piettas.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »
This is, I hope, is going to be a kind of short and sweet review of what I know about the early history of Italian reproduction BP firearms.
In and about 1956, a group of American investors and businessmen took a trip to Europe to tour and look over the arms making industry. One of the ideas was to see about getting American Civil War arms reproduced for the up coming Centennial of the ACW.
Beretta was one of the last places they visited, and Beretta was not interested in the project either.
Beretta had assigned Louie Amadi, a production manager at Beretta as a translator for the American visitors.
When Beretta turned the project down, Louie Amadi contacted Bill Edwards, who had brought and original 1851 Colt Navy with him to use as a prototype. Louie thought he knew of a manufacture that would be willing to undertake this project.
This manufacture turned out to be Gregorelli. This is the beginning!

Sometime later, perhaps in the mid 1960's Louie Amadi bought out Gregoelli and renamed his manufacturing plant Armi San Palao, but kept the Gregoerlli Makers code of GDG on their producs. This would become Euroarms in the early 1970's and Euroarms of America (EoA) by 1875.
I hope this info helps.
 My best,
 Blair

PS; this message would serve well on the thread requesting info on Gregorlli / Uberti. Perhaps, the Moderator could copy and paste this reply on that thread too? (I am unable to do this with my current setting)
 Blair   
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline marine-mp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »
Well...a great history lesson on some excellent  weapons. Thank you kindly.  We shall wait and see if it's all I'm hoping it will be.  Semper-fi.  Mike

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »
C'mon, Noz, Colt's revolvers aren't the only ones. I've got an equal number of Remingtons. If he tries the 6" barreled Remington he might just think it's the cat's meow. The Remmies hold a smidge more powder too. I'll admit though, the Colt's are purdier to look at (especially the 1860 Army).

I beg to differ. Colt's revolvers are the only ones.

Honestly I have tried NMAs and found that the ergonomics do not fit me. I shot 1860s for years until I found a pair of 61s to use as way back backups. They are now my main match guns.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com