Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2017, 06:30:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: We got meese! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: We got meese!  (Read 1051 times)
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: July 04, 2015, 10:13:11 am »

Yesterday afternoon I received a phone call from a neighbour whose home has a commanding view of the lake like ours. She told me to get my binoculars on a point 235 m away by laser range finder. Our resident cow moose was there with her twin meese!

The twins were invisible  in the tall grass by the time I got my binos,  but Momma Moose was busy chowing down on the water weeds, at times fully submerged! I've seen a large bull with his head and antlers fully underwater, but never a before a fully submerged moose. It was surprising how long she was under water between breaths.

At times she was walking on the bottom, her hump above the water, looking much like a beaver. In fact, had I seen just that, I would have presumed it to be a beaver. Eventually she waded towards shore and started to feed on those 'pull-apart' reeds we all liked to play wiith as kids. Amazing that moose eat them, but they also devour willow branches up to 1/2" in diameter.

Last year she and her calf wiped out the local Saskatoon crops by nipping off all the blossoms before they could turn into berries. We are hoping that all the abundant food this year will prevent that.

We are used to seeing up to 24 white pelicans, swans, geese, ducks, greibes, beavers, etc. as part of the local fauna. Last month I woke up to see a doe looking into the bathroom window from a bench 20 m behind the house, A couple of days later, it was a black bear in the driveway, treed by the dogs.

People ask us why we live 65 kms from town on a gravel road 1 km from blacktop. Scenes like this are the reason.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Silent Joe
The Netherlands
Top Active Citizen

Lady Lis and Me

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:42 pm »

Nice story, Pard.  Smiley You don't see this in a big city like Amsterdam.  Sad

The Secret of Life is One Thing..........Just One Thing! (Curly in City Slickers)
Citizen of CAS City #203 * SASS L # 10461 * SBSS # 2064 DWSA # 120 * GAF Intern. #694* IPSAC #43 * Prayer Posse * WartHog * B.o.t.A. >>>------>*

PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:59:14 pm »

You would be surprised to know how Canadians have never seen a 'wild' animal outside of a zoo. The bulk of our population lives in half a dozen major cities within 250 miles of the US border. Us rural red necks are very much in the minority, hence our dislike of our restrictive gun laws.
Most of us would like to carry a .44 or .45 calibre sidearm like many American states allow. I can only dream - or break the law.

It's almost impossible to go for a walk anywhere in rural Canada without encountering some four footed critter of one sort or another. After being charged by a black bear three times on the same occasion, (the last charge ending just 12 m away from me) I have always carried my Sharps 50-70 carbine.

On the occasion I mentioned, I had it with me, cocked and ready to fire if it had made one more step towards me and my wife. I'm pretty sure it would have stopped the bear, but if not, I had a good club! Sometimes the bear gets to win .... ;>)

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: We got meese! « previous next »
Jump to: