Author Topic: Pietta GW2 vs. Uberti Smoke Wagon Delux?  (Read 8326 times)

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Pietta GW2 vs. Uberti Smoke Wagon Delux?
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:21:05 PM »
Got a hankering for a new 45, and leaning towards a Smoke Wagon Delux.  A couple pards of mine have GW2's from EMF and love them and I have to admit they look sharp.

End of the day I want a good action and accuracy, looks are 3rd place, but if the first two are there, and it looks good, all the better.  I shoot a lot of black powder, but since getting a Lee LM press, it's very quick and easy to load smokeless so that's getting shot a lot too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Pietta GW2 vs. Uberti Smoke Wagon Delux?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »
I bought a Smoke Wagon from Longhunters a couple years ago and that thing is amazing.
The action is like butter and the trigger pull is noticeably nicer.
Accuracy is excellent.
I can't say if any ole Smoke Wagon would be the same as that, but if I ever wanted another 73 I will get it from them.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:18 PM »
After working on em for 16+ years, my opinion is the Pietta GWII is better value for dollar.  I found there was less that needed done to the Pietta than Uberti.  Even when purchasing the higher grade Uberti guns, there is still some work that need done. 
Accuracy wise, you can get a lemon from anyone.  In the last 10 or so years the quality of Uberti and Pietta has improved hugely. 
I retired about 4 years ago, so I can't really offer up an opine on the most recent manufacture guns, but those I have handled of other CAS shooters bear out the better quality from everybody.  Regardless of claims and individual champions of brands, I do believe you can flip a coin and not lose.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:21:27 PM »

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:22:28 PM »
Thanks, kinda what I was thinking, though from what I've seen most of the piettas now have better case coloring.  I've got a couple of Uberti's, one needs a little action work, the other had to have some when new but is an excellent shooter now.  May have to go with Pietta just to have something different.

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 01:14:05 AM »
Well I tried to order a GW2, but found out EMF is completely out of saa's and won't have anything until maybe Sept.  So now am leaning towards the smoke wagon.

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 11:29:42 PM »
Well I tried to order a GW2, but found out EMF is completely out of saa's and won't have anything until maybe Sept.  So now am leaning towards the smoke wagon.
There is a LNIB Alchimista on gunbroker for $595.00 you might be interested in.
I have a Uberti with the 1860 grips which I really love given my oversize mitts.  :)

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 12:04:28 AM »
Thanks, but I'm not a big fan of the 60 grips unless there on a 60.  I've got large hands and like the smaller navy grip as long as I'm not shooting .454 level loads.

We'll see what happens, I may just need to get off my butt and send my colt off for a new cylinder.  Accuracy issues.

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
Well, I got a Smokewagon ordered, unfortunately I ordered it through Gander Mt.  They seemed to think I need two of them so the ordered two for me.  I spent three days trying to contact the morons that I only wanted one.  Long story short I finally got ahold of them and was told I could return one for a refund.  We'll see how it goes when I get back stateside.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 04:22:44 PM »
Well, I got a Smokewagon ordered, unfortunately I ordered it through Gander Mt.  They seemed to think I need two of them so the ordered two for me.  I spent three days trying to contact the morons that I only wanted one.  Long story short I finally got ahold of them and was told I could return one for a refund.  We'll see how it goes when I get back stateside.

I don't understand.  You DO need two of them.  What the heck could a person do with only one gun?

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 06:25:45 AM »
You haven't seen my safe!  In any event I got it sorted and got to run a couple hundred rounds of smokeless and black powder through it.  Got to say I'm impressed.  When I took it down for cleaning I was impressed with the condition of the internals as well.  Accuracy wise it'll shoot better than I can.  Now if they'd just offer real bone case hardening it'd be darn near perfect.

45 Dragoon

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 08:01:42 PM »
The nice thing about any of them (higher end Piettas or Ubertis), after a really good tune up, they are just amazing. I have an El Patron Competition I got right after they came out. I took it home, "fixed" it and it is a joy to shoot!!  I've added a .45 acp cylinder to it as well and it shoots acp as well (if not better!) than the .45 Colt!!
 Congratulations on a fine revolver will52100!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com