Author Topic: Photographers  (Read 7287 times)

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Photographers
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
Any photographers on here?  That's what I do for a living and am curious if there is and who they are.

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Photographers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
I would never characterize myself as a "photographer" though I did all of my own
camera work when writing my books and for the YOU YUBE videos. Speaking very honestly,
I never successfully transitioned to the digital camera technology. Part of that was my
choice of camera. I bought a brand new KODAK Easy Share P880 with 8gig of memory
and its been nothing but a nose-bleed since I've had it. Can't go back to my 35mm, now
because that technology has slipped into the sunset. I still try to compensate with my
cellphone and at least get better outcomes than with the KODAK. I've read the reviews
on line and people rave about it. Myself, I don't get it.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Donkee

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »
Bruce,

Not sure what you mean that you can't use your 35mm again.

I have a stable full and can find film and darkroom supplies at the local camera store and on the web.

That said, I like medium and large formats better.

Used to be a professional but lost everything in the split and custody battle. Now I am stuck behind a computer for the last 20 years. Had more fun as a photographer.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:58:09 AM »

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »
have a stable full and can find film and darkroom supplies at the local camera store and on the web
Ditto...I've found bargains on used equipment.  I got a steal on a dark room set-up which included two large format enlargers, a couple of years ago.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:26:54 AM »
There are quite a few out there that are still shooting film.  I made the transition to digital back around 2000 when I traded in my Nikon F100 for a Canon EOS DSLR and really haven't found a good reason to go back to film.

I spent 25 years as a machinist and was suffering major burn out.  I had messed around with cameras since I was a kid and even used to develop my own B&W film but didn't get serious about it until 1998 when I began photographing people and realized I had a gift for it.  In 2002 I went full time and, although I made more money as a machinist, I was a whole lot happier.  I don't shoot as much as I used to but still enjoy it.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 08:06:09 AM »
The main reason I like film is for B&W photos.  The inkjet printers leave something to be desired for B&W prints.  Even my high-end printer with chromium inks. 

If I could afford to pay off current debt, and to support my habits, I would be a photographer (with no other profession).  Maybe I'll quit my current professional job and do it until I run out of money!
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 09:13:12 AM »
Fantastic!  It is so good to connect with other people who still see the worth of 35mm.

I have tried to locate sources for color and B&W film and the last I found was FUJI.
Then there was the developing which I portioned out to commercial places like WOLFE Camera
(Yes...I really go back that far!). There used to be an on-line place I could send exposed
rolls to but their turn-around just kept getting longer and longer. The local drugstore drop has
a checkered record of performance so I may see what I can do about setting-up a lab on
my own. My brother was a professional photographer whose eyes went bad and he sold off all
of his equipment. At least I could use him as a resource for what I need if it comes to my
doing my own processing? I went looking for a support group or forum since this thread started.
Anyone have any recommendations. All that I have found so far are "focused" ( ;D) on Digitals.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Donkee

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
I lucked out about 2 years ago at a thrift store. picked up a Beseler 45MXT for #30. Had a bunch of negative carriers up to 4x5.

In Italy FILM Ferrania is getting ready to start making film again. Hopefully we'll see some E-6 with home processing kits. That would be the best.

for now though I usually keep it B&W but if I do shoot a roll of color I send it to Burrell Imaging in Indiana. They used to do all my wedding photos when I did that sort of thing. They have been a good lab to work with.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »
Bruce,

I've had these guys develop film for me...

http://www.azphoto.com/aki-about.php

They are local, so I can just drop off.

Also,  I've purchased supplies at Houston Camera Co-Op.  They don't have a web-site that I can find, but you can search for their contact information on the web, and call them if you like.  They have a good deal of film inventoried...or at least use to!

Best to you..
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
Almost sounds like I'll have to build a "supply network".
Is it still possible to find Colored ASA 800 anywhere?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 08:51:59 AM »
Bruce,

B&H Photo is a good supplier from what I've heard.  They stock a lot of film. 
Here's some 800 ISO color with daylight balance...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197195-USA/Kodak_Portra_800_120_Professional_Color.html

I can't speak for this ISO Kodak Portra.  I've used the slower speeds, and it is okay.  When it comes to color, I use(d) Fuji slide film, but they quit making it, so I'm working only off my inventory...no problem, as I've mainly been taking digital, and 99% of the time I use film it is black & white.

BTW, in what part of the world are you located?
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »
Bruce,

B&H Photo is a good supplier from what I've heard.  They stock a lot of film. 
Here's some 800 ISO color with daylight balance...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197195-USA/Kodak_Portra_800_120_Professional_Color.html

I can't speak for this ISO Kodak Portra.  I've used the slower speeds, and it is okay.  When it comes to color, I use(d) Fuji slide film, but they quit making it, so I'm working only off my inventory...no problem, as I've mainly been taking digital, and 99% of the time I use film it is black & white.

BTW, in what part of the world are you located?

I'm in the Chicago area. You'd think I'd be sittin' pretty, right? Well the downside of an
urban area is the competition to have the "next greatest thing" so trying to hold on to
any specific piece of technology (of any kind) is a bit like trying to grab the hand-rail on
a passing commuter train.  :o

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 07:20:40 AM »
B&H Photo Video has been my go-to source for just about everything photography related for the past 14 or so years.  For those looking for film processing there's a custom color lab in Kansas City that I've used over the years that does excellent work.  Their link is below.

CUSTOM COLOR
http://www.customcolor.com

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 08:51:17 AM »
Picked-up a copy of SHUTTERBUG at the local grocers. Ever look through a copy?
Any providers that caught your eye? Just wondering, now..... I'm not into the
artsy-fartsy side of camera use, just good quality color and focus.

BTW: I stumbled across some reviews of my EasyShare P880 that roasted KODAK
for the twitchy auto-focus system. Thank Gawd I wasn't the only one. IMHE the
battery and battery-charge had a huge effect on how stable, consistent and dependable
the auto-focus performed.  I'm thinking of shifting to the programming side of the
camera as it would let me store pre-sets for situations that I use more than others
such as detailed close-up-s. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 07:49:01 AM »
It's probably been 15 years since I looked at an issue of Shutterbug but I know it's a good publication.  Bruce...  I don't know what your capabilities are as a photographer but if you can shoot in manual mode, you'll always have control over the shot.  A camera's computer (program modes) can only take so many situations into consideration.

Here are a few of my shots.  If these aren't appropriate, please feel free to have the powers that be remove them. 

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 09:19:33 AM »
These are totally inappropriate!  A modern AR on this forum!!
 ;D
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »
These are totally inappropriate!  A modern AR on this forum!!
 ;D

Oh...yesh...right... she IS holding an AR. Didn't notice at first.... ;D
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »
And that's about all the crap I plan on taking from this KODAK P O S!!

Went to my grand-daughter's Graduation Party, all set to take pics and
did not get one decent shot the whole afternoon. I was so pissed I coulda spit nails!
I'm going back to my 35mm. At least when something is off with that oldy-but-goody
I know what I need to do to get back in the game. My KODAK "gift-to-the-world"
is solid state so if something goes south all I can do is sit down and suck on it.

Anybody need a weight for their seine net?  >:(

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com