Author Topic: Reloading .45LC with BP  (Read 17978 times)

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading .45LC with BP
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »
I watched a video on reloading .45LC with black powder instead of smokeless powder.  What is the reasoning behind this?

Offline Thumb Buster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Reloading .45LC with BP
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:26:07 PM »
The .45 Colt cartridge was originally loaded with black powder.  To experience what our predecessors used versus the smokeless stuff (see I was nice) is most Holy Soot shooters reasoning.  As for me, I like the smoke and flame and the thunderous boom.  Granted the cleaning up after wards is a bit of a pain but its worth it...to me.
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »
I think I'd like the smoke, the fire and the boom too, Thumb Buster.  

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:19:06 AM »

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 04:52:08 AM »
I must respectfully disagree with Thumb Buster.  I find clean up after shooting BP to be much easier than smokeless. 

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:36:04 AM »
I did read something about that, rdstrain49, but don't know the reason behind it.  I'm going to be brand new to reloading so I'm just starting to learn.  It's the only way I can support my habit.

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »
Caution: reloading is NOT cheaper, you just shoot more and in my case spend a lot more than I would shooting factory ammo.   ;)

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
I find it to be a "blast" to shoot BP.  And clean-up is easy enough to me...just messy.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Juneau Gold Miners' Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »

By loading black powder you get to experience the smoke, smell, and BOOM the way our grandcestors did.  Clean up is a little more tedious but I just make a ritual out of after each shoot. 

To help clean up your brass try taking an old milk jug of soapy ammonia water to the range and drop your spend brass in right away.  This helps dissolve the black powder residue before it sets up.   
-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
Half Hitch,   Considering your other thread on this board I would suggest you NOT start reloading Black powder first, but start with smokeless and then after you feel comfortable with that, move on to Black powder.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »
After doing a little more research, I think you might just be right, Deadeye Don.  Sounds like a lot of clean up and possibility of corrosion problems.  It has it's pros and cons. 

You must be talking about the post where I asked about equipment I'd need to get started and the only answers I get are to read books.  I'll do my research.  That's just good common sense.  There's a wealth of information here but a shame that some are so reluctant to share. 

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 07:13:39 PM »
Half-hitch, you don't understand what we are telling you. Yes, there's a heck of a lot of knowledge here and on other sites, but, that doesn't preclude you from doing your part. Trying to take the quick route is not a good thing when talking about ballistics. It is dangerous, and you can kill yourself or someone who is near you. You have the responsibility to protect yourself and all the other shooters around you.

You are from what I call the "now" generation. You have access to the world in your back pocket. However, that doesn't diminish the responsibility you have to others when it comes to handling explosives.

You have been given sound advice, I urge you to heed it.

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
I'm not trying to do anything but find out what I need to get started.  Read all that I can.  Doesn't that go without saying?  I honestly don't know what to think about a group of adults so reluctant to share information without my reading a darn book first or promising that I will.  I appreciate your concerns guys, but come on now.  If I sound condescending, it's not my intention.  I really don't get it. 

Thanks!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:44 AM »
I really don't get it. 

Thanks!

Yep, the most sensible thing you've said all along, now it's time to either follow the advice given (which would have answered the questions you asked)  or ignore it and make things more difficult.   You asked, you got honest answers from people with experience and now you ain't happy.   I call that ungrateful, and typical of people who think they can learn everything by asking questions on the net.

Yes I'm a blunt SOB, but you often have to be to tell the truth, worked with a lot of people not on-line to teach them reloading, if they don't want to read a couple good books so we can have an intelligent conversation when they get ready, I don't fool with them.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:23:59 PM »
What books did the pioneers of reloading read? 

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
I imagine that the pioneers of reloading read the instructions that came with the equipment ....expect for Longshot Lefty and One-eyed Ezra...
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »
I imagine that the pioneers of reloading read the instructions that came with the equipment ....expect for Longshot Lefty and One-eyed Ezra...

lol... :P

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
Half-hitch; Reading the book first is the best way to learn the basics properly. If you rely on us, you will have to put up with short answers that might miss something or mutual misunderstandings about descriptions and terminology.

You don't have to buy a book unless you want to, as there are many reloading resources online. Here is one that just might have pretty well most of it;

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2k_reloading.htm

Here is the RCBS online reloading guide, only 23 pages

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/step_by_step_reloading.aspx#

By the way, you ARE getting our BEST advice. We always start by advising folk to read a book about it!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
Half-hitch; Reading the book first is the best way to learn the basics properly. If you rely on us, you will have to put up with short answers that might miss something or mutual misunderstandings about descriptions and terminology.

You don't have to buy a book unless you want to, as there are many reloading resources online. Here is one that just might have pretty well most of it;

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2k_reloading.htm

Here is the RCBS online reloading guide, only 23 pages

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/step_by_step_reloading.aspx#

By the way, you ARE getting our BEST advice. We always start by advising folk to read a book about it!

Thanks Sir Charles.  I know there are some talented people and a lot of good information on this forum and that's why I'm here but the format here is a discussion forum so I want to discuss.  How else can I get to know everyone and learn all of the tricks and little secrets if we don't discuss.    8)

PS...  thanks for the links.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »
Well we have told you many times, those of us with real experience learned by reading and having some one show us hands on before the net, but it doesn't seem to want to sink in.  Go do as we said, then gain a little knowledge so you can discuss, not disgust.   

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 08:22:43 AM »
Delmonico.....   why are you so crotchety?  I can't think of a time in my life I've used that word to define a man but it sure seems fit in this case.

You made the comment, "if you want to impress people" in another post that I posted.  Who are you trying to impress?  Just be thankful and count your blessings.  Life is too short to carry all of that baggage.   ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com