Author Topic: Forcing cone leading  (Read 2790 times)

Offline dutch harbor john

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Forcing cone leading
« on: May 03, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
Hello to the forum,
I have a USFA .45 Colt. My load is 8.0 grs Unique and a Lyman 454190 with a 20/1 alloy. It is leading at the forcing cone and one chamber had only a slight hint of lead on one side. The cone doesn't seem to have a burr or is rough. Would it be beneficial to polish the cone. I am thinking JB paste on a cloth patch with a Lewis Lead Remover tool and done by hand, no drill power added. Might bump up to 8.5 grs Unique and try that. I size the bullet at .452 and SPG lube. I appreciate any advice given. Thanks

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Forcing cone leading
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »
Everything about your load sounds right for little or no leading.  Two questions to think about:  Does your USFA maybe have a .454 barrel in which case an undersize bullet is a likely culprit; Is your 20/1 alloy too soft?

Offline dutch harbor john

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »
Thankyou Sagebrush for the reply. My barrel is .449 to .450 For accuracy it shoots better than I can hold. I will try another dozen rounds with 8.5 grs. Unique. Like you mentioned maybe go with a harder alloy if it leads up. I really had problems with it leading the chambers in the past so I think I am getting closer to no leading. Thanks again.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:34:35 AM »

Offline Litl Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
Do your bullets fit the cylinder throats?  Loose fit?

First thing the bullets must fit are the cylinder throats.  If they don't....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com