Author Topic: Extended range report 20: 45/75  (Read 4836 times)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Extended range report 20: 45/75
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:13:45 AM »
In the last couple of weeks I have fired 1500 rounds of 300 gr lead from Oregon Trail.  All in Jamison brass using Federal magnum primers and pretty much a full case IMR 4320 doing approx. 1400fps.

No news to some I am sure.  But the '76 is a great rifle to shoot single shot.  I could imagine a buffalo hunter using his '76 as a single shot on a big stand.  Sadly they just aren't as easy to piss down to cool them off with the holy Black.

And it is no question the '76 would be a solid man/horse killer as required.  Throwing 350 grs of lead as fast as you could slide them into that big mag tube.  Compared to the later 1886 Winchester the '76 is a breeze/much easier to load and lever.

And for me much more fun to shoot....much smoother than a '86 and a shorter lever stroke I think...but I'd have to check on that one to be sure.  Bolt/cartridges are shorter anyway with the '76.

10" plates are easy pick'ins at 100yards.  Back it up to 250  and up the target size some (12x 17") and my 300gr bullets are dropping 54".   One click up on my buckhorn elevator and I was hitting the bigger gong consistently off the bench.

Down side?  Shoot enough and the elevator gets kicked back (and down one click) with recoil.  I started missing and hitting the base of the target stand much to my chagrin and my spotter's laughter :)

Snap up the elevator again and back on target for the first 25 or 30 rounds.  I typically shoot 50 or so rounds every trip with the '76.  If I am having a good day 50 rounds go quickly.  But the '76 (at least my 20"  '76)  has a hard time when she gets hot.  Around 30 rounds past 200' my eyes get tired.  With a front sight that covers the steel at 250yds it doesn't make hitting any easier with the fading evening light.   I need more practice to know for sure but I think the rifle pulls them some left when she gets hot.  Maybe I am pulling the forearm over.  Gotta shoot off the receiver next time and see.   

Any way with fresh eyes and good light the '76 is hell on wheels at 250yds and then some.  Shoot a hot 300gr and it shoots flat enough to be manageable on man size targets @ those distances.    Killing shots on horses or a buffalo would be easy at that range.  Bump it up to a full case of black and a 350gr bullet and one would have "big medicine" back in the day or now.

Anyway, wonderful old rifle design (mine's a Uberti) that I am finding great pleasure in.   Certainly has bumped the '86 from my big bore pedestal.   Even with a choice of 45/70 or 45/90 in the '86 I am liking the 45-75 more than either.   I'm at the point now that I am thinking a longer barrel version would be REALLT FUN!.  And no doubt now, what cartridge I would chamber it for. (45-75).

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Extended range report 20: 45/75
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 04:59:58 AM »
Yahoody  reading that report while having my first cup in the morning starts my day off great ! Thanks for the report on my favorite levergun and cartridge also. ,,,,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
Great report! Wish I could get out more than I do.
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:49:13 AM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 02:13:39 AM »
I had a chance to get out again and burn up  some more ammo.

I know the '76 heats up now even with smokeless.  Can't imagine what a 100 rounds of Black would do.  But I bet you would have the forearm smoking before you were done.  Suspect it was disappointing for the few fellows that took a '76 out on the last of the buffalo herds.  No lever gun is going to hold up under extended firing like a heavy barrel Sharps would.  Or be as easy to cool down.

Between '76 and '86 was a pretty tramatic time for the Nation.  Buffalo almost gone but pleanty of disagreements between men.  Horses required to pay for a lot of that in blood.

I am more interested in the '76 as a fighting rifle than a hunting rifle.  And for a modern meat/sport hunter the intermediate range capabilities of the '76 are without question.   Out to 250 or 300 yards if you dare the rifle will hit what it is aimed at.  But 150 yards or better yet well under that for iron sights seems much more sporting for the hunt.  And less loss game.

I haven't hunted in decades now.  Had enough of the killing.  But I do admire the skill and practice it takes to adroitly handle and hit with any weapon.  Big boomers like the 45-75 shooting full loads no exception.  And for me anyway not an easy gun to master.

As they use to say, "fear the man with one gun."

So to replicate moving targets on the cheap and multiple targets I play the "card game".  It is easy if you can spare the ammo.  My 20" rifle holds 8 and 1 in the chamber for a total of 9 rounds.  I start port arms, hammer on the half cock.  Targets are at 25 yards.  Targets are playing cards.  Only rule is shoot as fast as you can hit the playing cards.  Anything that is an edger doesn't count.  Full diameter of the bullet has to be on the card.  Admittedly I am no very good at it yet :)   This one is not a "faster target shot" but 9 rounds of lever work and a flash sight picture.  I can do it in 15 seconds but 20 to 25 gives me much better hits snap shooting and with the lever work.   I have been using a PACT timer for a par of 20 seconds.  Started at 30.  And have shot some at 15.  But have yet to make 9 hits @ 25 seconds.   Slower than 25seconds and I am not getting pushed like I want to be for time.

75 rounds today.  Gun hot enough it would burn you if I wasn't careful.  8" round plates were easy enough @ 100yds given a hasty field position sitting.  Feeling better there now.  And getting better at trigger control and aligning the buckhorns. ( I know but I WANT to be difficult and shoot buckhorns with the black on black sights of a "working man")    While the gun was cold 250 yards off a bench rest the 12x12 size gong lives a dangerous life.  Hits are common...there not assured. 

Not all of that 75 rounds was shot in 9 round bursts.  But enough  ;D

I am down to 4 loaded cartridges.  Old brass is clean now and ready to go.  Plus another 80 new cases to load this time around.  Back to the bench in the morning!

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »
Got back to the bench this afternoon and loaded 94 Jamison cases with 300gr lead and another 61 cases with 350s.  All of it over a the same healthy amount of IMR4320.  Extremely clean burning and accurate ammo fwiw.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 08:18:49 AM »
whew- offhand that is a bit of a challenge- tried it and now I need to reload.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
whew- offhand that is a bit of a challenge- tried it and now I need to reload.

Yes sir, pretty fun, very expensive  :o    Next time I am moving the targets in and adding some time!

Thinking 9 in the gun and 8 cards.  Gives you one, second chance to make a good hit.

Beautiful sunny day yesterday.  No wind.   I shot my '76 and my '86 @ 250 and couldn't hit my ass or the steel with both hands.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com