Author Topic: Differences Between Thunderer, Thunderball, and Thunderstorm  (Read 8594 times)

Offline Kenebec Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Differences Between Thunderer, Thunderball, and Thunderstorm
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »
Hello the camp,

I'm looking to find out what the differences are between the Cimarron Thunderer, Thunderball, and Thunderstorm.  I know the Thunderstorm was meant for mounted shooting and has wider sights, but that's about it.  I couldn't find a good description on Cimarron's website so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks for your time.

Kenebec Bill
Kenebec Bill
SASS #2524

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
Re: Differences Between Thunderer, Thunderball, and Thunderstorm
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:26 AM »
Yeah, it's confusing.   The Thunderer is the Uberti-made gun with the Thunderer-style grip (a lot of people call it a birdshead grip, but technically a birdshead grip is just rounded in back without the Thunderer "hump").  The Thunderball is the Pietta-made version.  The grips on the Thunderball are just slightly thinner. 

Then there is the Thunderstorm.  That is the name used for any gun (single action grip or Thunderer grip) with the low wide hammer and an action job.   I wish they hadn't decided to use the name "Thunderstorm" for those guns because it does add confusion.  You can have a Model P Thunderstorm, or a Thunderer Thunderstorm, or a Thunderball Thunderstorm, etc.  And yes, the Thunderstorm was originally for mounted shooting because the low wide hammer was not legal for SASS, but now it is.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
Oh sure.  Keeping it simple.  Just confuse me, just 'cause it's soooo EASY!!

Coffinmaker

Advertising

Offline Kenebec Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »
Thanks for the information!

Do the Thunderer and the Thunderball have the same sights?  Ubertis I have seen have the tapered front sight.  Do the Piettas have the parallel-sided front sight?

Thanks again!
Kenebec Bill
SASS #2524

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 05:31:06 PM »
Thanks for the information!

Do the Thunderer and the Thunderball have the same sights?  Ubertis I have seen have the tapered front sight.  Do the Piettas have the parallel-sided front sight?

Thanks again!

Well, I'm not positive, but I think the Thunderball is probably straight-sided and I know the Thunderer is tapered (unless the Thunderer is a Thunderstorm Thunderer  ;) ).  The Thunderer uses an "Old-Model" (BP) frame and those all have tapered sights, versus the later pre-war frames that have straight-sided.  Uh, unless the Thunderer is stainless, because those are all pre-war frames.

Offline half-hitch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 09:10:25 AM »
It looks like the Thunderer and Thunderstorm are Cimmaron's version of the Uberti El Patron, El Patron CMS and El Patron Competition except with a birds head grip.

This is what Uberti says about the El Patron line:  "The gunsmiths at Uberti have fitted each El Patrón with high-grade, U.S.-manufactured Wolff® springs. And each revolver has been carefully tested and certified for fit and function. They are reliable, light, and fast, with a smooth-tuned action."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com