Author Topic: OT .43 Mauser Loads  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Seamus

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OT .43 Mauser Loads
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
OT .43 Mauser Loading

Howdy,

I just acquired a fine example of an 1871 Mauser carbine and am seeking information on black powder loads.  Brass, dies & .446 bullets are all available from Buffalo Arms.  I am considering a reduced load of 60g 2F Goex under a Walters Wad, COW or Dacron filler, another wad & bullet.  I’d be interested in hearing any recommendations any of you may have, thanks.

Seamus

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: OT .43 Mauser Loads
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
Do not use the wad and or cards with a Dacron filler. You will ring the chamber. If you feel you need a reduced load use all cards or only a filler like corn meal. The powder or powder with filler must be in contact with the slug with out a compressible filler.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:26:21 AM »
Here is a bit of information on the M71 and the 43 Mauser.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=750&magid=56

Kevin
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:23:36 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:57:48 AM »
The only caveat I would add is to "slug" the barrel to determine the actual groove diameter of the rifling. I once had a M71/84 (the repeater) and the groove diameter turned out to be .451"!  But when the Canadian manufactured CIL Dominion brass I was using was loaded with a .451" bullet, it wouldn't chamber. I had a chamber reamer made that opened up the bottleneck so the larger bulleted case would chamber. As the .43 Mauser cartridge is bottlenecked, I wouldn't use a Dacron filler.  I never shot mine with black powder, as the action is amply strong for lighter smokeless loads.  My data book shows that I used 40 gr. of IMR4198 loose in the case behind a Lyman #457483 Gas Check bullet sized to .451" for a MV =1732 ft/sec. Recoil was mild and accuracy fair. I would expect there are a number of loads for .45-90 that could be used, as powder capacity is similar. [Usual disclaimer: I cannot be responsible for accidents or incidents arising from the use of the above data in guns other than my own. And maybe not then!] The M71 single shot may NOT be as strong as its repeating successor.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:46:53 PM »
A 43 Mauser (11x60R, or 11.15x60R) ... 77gr of FFFg powder with a 386gr bullet = 1430 fps
Skip the wad & COW - shoot the powder straight

Seamus, sent you a PM
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Seamus

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:03:20 PM »
Thanks to all for the useful replies.

The carbine is marked "11" on the left side of the receiver. That may bode well for .446 bullets.

I will try some loads with full cases of 2F & .446 bullets & see how they do. Ideally a hollow based bullet may help with needed expansion into those deep grooves.

One resourse I checked on an 1871 someone used a .451 bullet but it would not chamber until he FL resized the entire cartridge!

John Boy, thanks for the note on the PM. I sent you a PM with my new email address & changed my email on my forum profile.

I'll post some pix if I can & a range report once I do some shooting with it. Further comments & recommendations are welcome.

Seamus

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 10:29:31 AM »
These two books have cartridge information for the 71 Mauser and the 71/84 Mauser.

“German Military Rifles and Machine Pistols 1871 – 1945”,
By Hans Dieter Gotz. Translated by Dr. Edward Force, CCSU. Includes information on assault rifles and Sten copies.

And “The German Rifle, A comprehensive illustrated history of the standard bolt-action designs,
1871-1945”. By John Walter. Includes information on the use of captured French Chassepots
He quotes from Gotz.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com