Author Topic: EMF Hartford model 45 Colt  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Broomhandle

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
EMF Hartford model 45 Colt
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
I received this revolver from EMF around 30 years ago. On the left side of the barrel is "45 COLT". On top of the barrel is "HARTFORD MODEL". The bottom of the barrel is marked "EMF". The front of the bottom frame is marked with the model number. I replaced the 2 groove cylinder pin with a Colt pin. The frame is a black powder type with a screw retaining the cylinder pin. The barrel is 4 3/4 with one piece walnut grips.
I always thought that EMF products were made by Armi San Marco and were below average in quality. I was wrong. The timing is perfect and trigger pull is crisp. It compares very favoritely with my Colt SAA , shooting to point of aim. The case hardening is better than the Colt (1957 vintage). There are no tool marks on the frame or in the bore.
Any comments would be appreciated.
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway"

Semper Fi

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: EMF Hartford model 45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 01:12:58 AM »
I owned a store 20 some years ago and sold a LOT of the EMF Armi San Marco, Hartford guns....and shot every one prior to sell.  Owned a few myself and shot them in SASS.  Great guns.  Wish I had kept the best of them.  But sold off my last pair of 7 1/2" guns in tough times.

They were wonderful shooters.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »
My pair of Hartfords worked and looked great. They are consecutive serial numbered in 45 Colt. Sold them to a buddy and he's still shooting them with no issues. I'd like to get them back but I figger I'd have to shoot him first.  :-\
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:13:19 PM »

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
Most exact copy of a Colt SAA ever made. original Colt parts will interchange with the ASM's.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 01:19:35 PM »
There was a time when Armi San Marco built really nice guns.  Then, in the last three years of their existence, their quality control went to nonexistent.  Some really horrible guns came out of their plant toward the end.

The EMf hartford was a really nice gun.  As mentioned by Lefty Dude, they were the closest copy to the original SAA anyone has built.  Also correct, with a little fitting, Colt parts will work just fine (vis versa too).  If you get in a real bind, quite a few Pietta parts can be fit.  Really nice to play with too.  Take it out and have fun with it. 

I would suggest you replace the Main Spring with a reduced power Main Spring to improve the user friendly factor and reduce wear on the action.

Coffinmaker

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »
I bought one about 13 years ago in 45 with a 4" barrel. At 25 yards it shot about a 6" group 12" to the right. After several years of putting it off, I took it to Bob Munden one morning and he had it ready that same afternoon.
The gun now shoots to POA and puts 6 shots into one hole at 15 yards. Let me clarify that statement:  Bob Munden could put 6 shots into one hole at 15 yards, I can't. I can get 6 into about 2", but boy, that action is so smo-o-o-o-th.
It's a nice gun. I need to put a nice pair of grips on it.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 12:26:44 AM »
There was a time when Armi San Marco built really nice guns...

Yep. When they were on they were really on. And when they were off...................  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com