Author Topic: Ok, Another Off Topic Post - Portable Camp Bed  (Read 5198 times)

Offline PvtGreg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ok, Another Off Topic Post - Portable Camp Bed
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
I have been working on a take down camp bed for reenactments.  I wanted it to be portable, to basically fit into a duffle size package.  It had to at least look period, it had to support my rather heroic frame and it had to be really comfortable.

I started to research rope beds on the internet and came across this series of blog posts by David Friedman http://daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/rope_bed/rope_bed.htm.  He made the plans from a picture of a 13th century Byzantine rope bed.

I really liked the design, but it wasn't exactly portable given since the sides would be at least 6' long.  A package that long isn't going to fit into a sedan  I decided that if I slotted the side rails into an aluminium sleeves then the side rails would each be under 42" in length and so I would have a bed that would pack into a duffle.  Here's the result.

It is 36" wide and 78" long.  Its made of of 4 36" and two 42" long, 2" diameter dowels.  I'm a large man (300lbs) so I figured I would have to use hardwood dowels to support my weight over a 78" long span.  I found oak dowels from Baird Brothers Fine Hardwoods.  Six oak dowels cost $200 dollars.  If I had it to do over again I would either use 2" tulip poplar, or 1-3/8" oak.  Poplar would cost maybe $50 and would support my weight easily I believe.

I found two 12" long by 2" in diameter aluminium sleeves from MetalsDepot and it cost me about $30 dollars.  This isn't exactly period, but when covered up no one will know the difference.  Here's a picture of the bed unmade.  Note the dowels slotted into the sleeves.

For the legs I bought 2 4-1/2' by 4" by 4" fence posts from Home Depot.  I cut both down into four bed legs as pictured below and 16" long.  The rounded bottom piece against the floor was made from a couple of decorative post tops I picked them up at Lowes - each top had a 2-1/2" by 1/4" screw that I epoxied and screwed into the end of the fence post.  

Once I had the legs together and true, I drilled a two 2-16" wide holes 2.5" deep into the square part of the leg, one 1" from the top and the other at right angles 3" from the top.  The beds dowels slot into these holes.  I then painted the legs with white Rustoleum.  

I painted the sleeves that color too. initially initially strung the bed with sisel rope.  This worked just fine but I discovered someone on Etsy that made a canvas bottom that replaces the strung rope.   Let me plug the makers, Kingofzoar1817. The canvas bottom is a perfect replacement for the rope, is easy to set up (stringing the rope can take 30 min or more) and is very comfortable.  So much so I don't need any sort of mattress for the bed.

One draw back with rope beds is that the rope (even with my canvas bottom) will stretch a bit. Tightening the rope can be a real pain.  To make this easer to do at the bottom of this bed the canvas piece loops around a 1" dowel that is then secured by a tensioning rope to the 2" bottom dowel by a rope as above.  By tightening the tensioning rope you tighten the entire bed.

The best part of this design is that it disassembles into a small package - duffle size.  To dissemble all you have to do is unstring the tensioning rope and then push the canvas bottom toward the top of the bed.

You can then remove the bottom section of the bed (the legs and cross dowel) from the side dowels and disassemble the bottom section.

Once you push the canvas bottom (or strung rope) up toward the top of the bed you can disassemble the rest of the bed by un-slotting the side dowels from their sleeves and then un-slot and remove the side dowels from the top legs.  You can then bundle up the top and bottom dowels and the canvas bottom (leaving it strung to the top 2" dowel and the 1" tensioning dowel.   Bundled up it looks like this.

You can then wrap it up in a shelter half or into a duffel.  The entire package weighs about 30lbs.  If I had used tulip popular dowels it would weigh half that.

It sleeps well.  I expect a lot of good and comfortable use for many years.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Ok, Another Off Topic Post - Portable Camp Bed
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:17:51 AM »
Wow, a lot of dedicated planning went into that bed design.  What do you use to cover it up so it looks more "period" correct . . . or is there a "period" cover that you use?

Time frame?  Civil War?  What did Union soldiers actually use for bedding?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline PvtGreg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 07:33:43 AM »
I of course can't find the links now but I've seen pics from museums where solid frame beds use the same canvas type mattress.  I'm taking a bit of a license on this - I think it looks authentic - I cover the frame with a blanket to hide the aluminium.  I think the rest looks pretty good.   

Greg

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:51:31 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »
A search was show photo & illustrations of Barrack beds & bunks .

course the CW rank'n' file  used a gum blanket, and an issue wool blanket if he had them and a patch on dusty, muddy ground.
Officers , with enough rank to have a wagon or ambulance for their baggage.

here is RE Lee's field cot at the Museum of the Confederacy....

I made one of lodge pole pine ( didn't break down like your cool design )
The canvas was nailed to the rails , stretcher style  (no ropes)  it works similar to yours with drilled holes.
Slept quite well ....
Course on treks, I used the gum blanket , horse blanket & my saddle as my head rest.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
PvtGreg,

Very nicely thought out and executed.
These sorts of thing are also very much based on available materials and individual taste.
Not something one would expect to see for a common trooper while in the field or on campaign, even into the SAW period.

I have also seen a cot that was used by George Washington, at Yorktown during the Rev. War.
Very much like the one pictured by Major 2
It was owned (I believe) by the APVA and was on display at the Yorktown Visitors Center, along with his Marque tent.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
Blair,  lee's is in Richmond, Confederate Museum , that's his tent & saddle etc.  in the display

Offline PvtGreg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:40:56 PM »
Blair,  I agree - not something I should use in my PvtGreg persona, HOWEVER PvtGreg is getting a bit long in the tooth and sleeping comfortable means a BUNCH to me.  Besides that's why tents with doors were invented!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
30 + years as a Reenactor ( Blair can relate  :) )

Sleeping on the ground for many years , gave way to grabbing some picket line hay and the wall tent , next came a cot ...
then a tack room on the horse trailer , then a new trailer will Living quarters ... I've used the bunks at several Garrison events ... Ft. Clinch , Ft Durant, & Jefferson Barracks.
I passed "long in tooth" 12 years ago .... now it's a Motel if I were to go...  :-\

yep !  comfortable means a BUNCH to me too  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com