Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 01:49:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: Care and feeding of the Krag 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Care and feeding of the Krag  (Read 24496 times)
Lord Eoin MacKenzie
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2015, 04:02:45 pm »

A shooting Question....In the Movie "The Rough Riders"  They showed a fellow using a sling and shooting sticks?
  What type of leather sling should be installed on a Krag, or rolling block?also on a Mauser?
Mills belt for Krag, Bandoleer for Mauser and Rolling block?
CPL Jayhawker Jake
Very Active Citizen

Over the Hills and Far Away...

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2015, 05:08:30 pm »

A shooting Question....In the Movie "The Rough Riders"  They showed a fellow using a sling and shooting sticks?
  What type of leather sling should be installed on a Krag, or rolling block?also on a Mauser?
Mills belt for Krag, Bandoleer for Mauser and Rolling block?

The experts will undoubtedly know more, but from what I've read, the M1887 leather sling was the standard sling on the Rifle version of the Krag. 

GAF #827
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:54 pm »

Not sure what sling they used on a Krag carbine, but the rifle one was like the Trapdoor. A 1903 sling will fit, but it's not the same, the Krag sling is one long strip of leather, not in 2 parts like the '03. The sling I have is from S&S firearms, it's OK but not great. it's made from 2 pieces of leather, spliced together, and it's color is a little "orangeish". I think the ultimate one comes from Turner Saddlery, but they may not always have them in stock, takes a good size hide to make one strap that long.

The Spanish used a rectangular black cartridge box (or a pair of them) for both the Roller and Mauser. But for Mexican revolutionary, anything goes, and 2 crossed bandoleers and a big sombrero would work fine.
Drydock
MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:15 pm »

There are two appropriate slings for a Krag: the M1887, which is indeed a long piece of leather.  I was lucky to get one from Turner, its on my M1884 trapdoor now.  The other is the 1899 Mills sling, my favorite, I have one of these on my Krag Rifle and my 1895 Musket.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/3267-US-Mills-Web-Sling-for-Krag-and-Springfield-Rifles/

These are great slings.  A 1898 and earlier Krag carbine would use the same sling as the earlier Trapdoor carbine, the classic over shoulder cavalry sling and clip.  The 1899 and later carbines had no provision for slings, and were carried in a leather scabbard attached to the troopers saddle.  The rare Engineers carbine (approx 400 made) were M1899 carbines with a rifle sling loop in the butt, with a rifle sling barrel band, and used the standard rifle sling.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .
Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2015, 09:07:03 pm »

http://www.turnersling.com/special-order-items.php

The best, order one, then use the Mills sling until it shows up!

Lord Eoin MacKenzie
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2015, 10:59:28 am »

Thanks for the Info....It looks like I can use my SMLE sling for a while.
I'll look for pictures of the Pouches and see if I can sew some up.   Along with Boer wars equipment, Bitish?
Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 12:06:52 pm »

If I were looking for info on British stuff, I'd be getting in touch with Rattlesnake Jack

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA RSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Endowment Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life
Niederlander
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 06:02:59 am »

I can heartily second that!  He's helped me tremendously on my Australian impressions.

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
cpt dan blodgett
Top Active Citizen

SASS Conv 2013

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 10:32:26 pm »

Turners actually taking orders for the Krag Sling 1887?  A couple of years ago I tried to order one and they would not even attempt to make one as they could not get the "proper" brass fittings.  I may have to order one for my krag and replace the substandard but overall fairly close replica on it currently

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII
Lord Eoin MacKenzie
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 05:21:01 pm »

Rattle Snake Jack,   Are the bandoleers worn by the Boers, British Issue they "found",  The ones that have 5rd clips in them?
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 10:53:36 pm »

Bandoliers were manufactured for the Boers, also.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Lord Eoin MacKenzie
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2015, 03:57:13 pm »

Is there a current supplier for the Bandoleers?
I can order a Mills belt for the Krag,   But I need something for the Mausers and my Rolling block.
My unmarked civil war cartridge box and a Musset bag could be used for loose cartridges,  but a Bando would look better.
Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 04:46:46 pm »

If you look in places like Sportsmans Guide, or search ammo pouch on ebay, you can find lots of east European mauser pouchs.  4 brown ones lined up on a wide leather belt is a decent approximation of the Spanish colonial rig of the 1890s.

Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2015, 04:49:11 pm »

These, in fact:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/4-used-serbian-military-surplus-leather-mag-pouches?a=1744064

Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 04:53:21 pm »

As seen here:  http://www.agmohio.com/LR1896equipment.htm

River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »

As luck would have it, I am bringing a 1903 Pattern Martin leather bandoleer as a door prize. Manufactured for IMA, it is no longer offered on their website.

International Military Antiques:
http://www.ima-usa.com/salesperson/result/?q=bandoleer&Trigger=ac

And Liberty Tree is a wonderful source for items:
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/ltc-default.asp

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
Niederlander
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2015, 05:35:59 pm »

The British P1903 Bandolier is carried by What Price Glory.

River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2015, 05:39:33 pm »

http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/4281-UK-1903-Pattern-Leather-Cavalry-9-Pocket-Bandolier/

$98.00, but these people are a joy to work with, and their quality is top drawer.

RCJ

NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
Niederlander
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2015, 05:45:27 pm »

I'm amazed by how reasonable their prices are.  Ninety-eight dollars may sound like a lot at first, but my local leatherworker said he probably couldn't even buy the leather and hardware for that, let alone build it.  John's right, their stuff is nice.  I'd have to say they're just about the go-to company for our time period.

Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »

Just an FYI:  I've been loading Lees 312-155 Gas check bullet in my sons 1893 Spanish Mauser Carbine .308 conversion, as it will not feed RNs at all!  This is a 155 grain Spitzer designed originally for the 7.62x39.  It is a rather long nosed bullet, I took a caliper to it and the nose above the crimp groove is .020 shorter than my Lee 200 RN.  HMMMM.

So I loaded a few in my Krag cases.  Threw them into both my Krags, and they feed just fine.  Might even be a tad slicker than my 200 RNs.  Out at the farm they shot under 3" at 100 yards, sights still set at 4.  2 grooves, I still get a greasy muzzle on the infantry rifle. All sized to .311 with aluminum gas checks.

This would save me some lead money, and make loading for my son and I easier with only one bullet to cast.  Donnie wants to shoot his Isapore SMLE in the EEM, and the Spanish Carbine in the main match.  Reason being these are HIS guns, not mine!

But here's a circa 150 grain Spitzer that feeds and shoots just fine in a Krag.

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2015, 09:56:19 pm »

Drydock, is that the "soup can" bullet, or regular lube grooves? I have the tumble lube one, bought it hoping to use it in my various .31 cal guns, loaded up a batch in .303, no luck-bullets tumbled in all three .303s I have, No1, No4 and P-14. Haven't yet tried them in anything else I have.
Drydock
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2015, 10:01:40 pm »

Its the regular lube groove one, C312-155-2R.

cpt dan blodgett
Top Active Citizen

SASS Conv 2013

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2015, 10:24:06 pm »

Sure wish I would have read this thread long ago about 4350 and the krag, but have managed to get varget loads to work just fine.

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII
Tascosa Joe
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2015, 08:29:02 pm »

Missouri bullet company has a .309 @ 238 gr.  It is a really long round nose bullet.  Do any of y'all with more experience think this would work for the Krag?  The bullet is manufactured for the 300 AAC or Blackout.

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life,
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2015, 09:28:35 pm »

It may work if your bore is tight enough, mine prefers .310.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: Care and feeding of the Krag « previous next »
Jump to: