Author Topic: Plainsman!  (Read 6703 times)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Plainsman!
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:56:43 PM »
Anyone shoot Plainsman?  I'm thinkn' of doin' it.  I'd use my roller, brace of ROAs and 10ga 87.  The Rem. roller is 45-70 and I'd load 210 grain DD/PUK/ROA RNFP  boolits over about 40 grains of Holy Black and filler.

THE PLAINSMAN The event requires two .36 caliber or larger Traditional style percussion revolvers, shot Duelist style. • Must use a SASS legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or pistol caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle. • Must use a side by side, with or without exposed hammers, or lever action shotgun. • Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, pistol, and shotgun).

It looks legal.  Any observations or comments?

Thanks,

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Plainsman!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
DD...I've been interested in trying this since I heard about it.  I've a carbine trapdoor replica, and a brace of Pietta NMA copies, and a SxS 12 ga.  I've got a ways to go before I'm proficient with reloading the C&B's.  I've not had them but a month ( a self-gifted Christmas present).

It's shown as a side match category along with derringers and long range, so I'm not sure how some clubs would handle it.  The clubs I go to here in Tejas have a Cody-Dixon category which has longer range (75 ot 150 yd) rifle targets and require a rifle caliber in a lever or a single-shot.  I'm comfortable the clubs I go to will allow it...if not...I'll just be a Cody-Dixon shooter with C&B's!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
Very interesting
With targets set at max allowed distance of 50 yards the .45-70 would not beat up the targets too bad especially using  the load DD mentioned and iI could use my 1860 Henry that is not allowed in Cody/Dixon.

My club, The Darby Rough Regulators, will have to look into this.  We shoot C/D now on our new range and something different would be nice. More shooters, more smoke and we love BP shooters. Especially since I am one.

Hold Center

Keep spotters and "lungers" upwind.

Bunk

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:00:41 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:38:43 PM »
I've shot Plainsman around here (Pac. NW) whenever I can. Mostly it is fairly short range in the same pits that the larger annual shoot is held. There are some clubs out in the hinterlands that may set up targets out in the sagebrush but I haven't been to there shoots in years. I use a TD carbine, 12ga SXS and whatever C&Bs amuse me that day. I shoot the Lyman 385gr RN with 55grs FFg in the 45/70 with magnum primers and an enlarged flash hole as per Mr. Wolf. 1.5" groups @ 50yds from the bench.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »
My error... I cannot use the 1860 Henry.
I guess It will take some time to dig to the back of the safe and come up with the original 1873 Springfield rifle.
I have Wolf's book but I like the load DD uses better.
That 405 grain number should work on the feral hogs now coming to the feedder out in the back pasture, but several of them is too hard on my shoulder. So now  i need to get another DD mold.

Hold center
Bunk

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »
I've used a Trapdoor with 45-55-405 loads at my club, regular CAS targets at anywhere from 15-40 yards, no target damage from it(although it occasionally knocks one down). They're standard targets, not ar-500 or anything like that.

Offline GunMonkey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:27:12 PM »
would an externally primed single shot rifle such as a first model Maynard be considered legal?

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »
Anyone shoot Plainsman?  I'm thinkn' of doin' it.  I'd use my roller, brace of ROAs and 10ga 87.  The Rem. roller is 45-70 and I'd load 210 grain DD/PUK/ROA RNFP  boolits over about 40 grains of Holy Black and filler.

It looks legal.  Any observations or comments?

Thanks,

DD-MDA

Some of the bigger SASS matches have plainsman side matches.  I've shot plainsman at the Texas State Championship; SW regional; and at Winter Range.  I generally use an Officers Model Trapdoor in 45-70; TTN 12 ga hammered double, and a pair of Uberti 1861 Navies.

I've also shot it at the local club monthly matches.

Your outfit would be just the thing DD
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:19:13 AM »
Little Deb and I designed a two stage Plainsman side match for HOW in Cheyenne a few years ago.  It was a blast. Deb used a pair of Uberti 1862s and her 12ga Stoeger.  My pistols were my old faithful Uberti 1860s.  The shotgun was another 12ga Stoeger.  We both used Deb's H&R .38-55 Target Classic rifle.  I don't remember how far out the rifle targets were but I think they were about 35yds.  We had a lot of shooters.  
"We should come home from afar,  from adventures and perils and discoveries every day, with new experiences and character." - Henry David Thoreau

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 06:20:54 AM »
I hope you folks don't hurt yourselves with those big rifle loads. ::)
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »
Our club (Thunder River Renegades) is hosting the SASS SW Territory BP Shootout in April this year.  The SASS guidelines have Plainsman as a main match category for this match, which I like. 

And to answer Good Troy's question (he shoots with us), you can always shoot Plainsman at our location, as it utilizes the same targets as Cody Dixon for the rifles.  As a matter of fact, I shoot it myself on occasion as I shoot ROA's and my Sharps 45-70 regularly - so I'm by definition a Plainsman!  I love the 45-55-405 load for lots of smoke and thunder.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
Our club (Thunder River Renegades) is hosting the SASS SW Territory BP Shootout in April this year.  The SASS guidelines have Plainsman as a main match category for this match, which I like. 

Guess that I'll have to get proficient at reloading those Remmies!
As for the TD load, I've worked up a 300 gr RNFP with 4.0 cc of 2F a card and lube patch that is pleasent to shoot.
The 405 gr with  30 grains (by wt) of that modern passing trend powder, IMR-4198, just plain hurt out of the carbine.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 01:08:04 PM »
DD,
Did you mike the barrel on your 45/70 roller? The bullets you are considering might not be quite wide enough. They might drop out of the mold at .454 instead of .457 unless you are going to use a hard alloy which won't shrink as much as pure lead. I think the mold is sized for soft lead, is it not?
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 03:17:45 PM »
Howdy Hellgate,

The DD/PUK/ROA flat bullets drop at .457".  I'm pan lubing them.  They fit the bore nice and snug.  I'll be shooting some at 100 yards to see how they fly.

My last pieces of 45-70 brass are now loaded up for Plainsman.  I've got a LOT of 45-70 500 grain semi spitzer long range ammo loaded up but I don't want to shoot that stuff for Plainsman.  My poor shoulder ache and I'd be able to clap with my shoulder blades. . .

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com