Author Topic: Uberti 1862 Pocket Barrels  (Read 34679 times)

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 1862 Pocket Barrels
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
Uberti 1862 Police models are offered with 4.5, 5.5 and 6.5 inch barrels.  The Navy models come in 5.5 and 6.5 inch lengths.  Are these all interchangeable?  
"We should come home from afar,  from adventures and perils and discoveries every day, with new experiences and character." - Henry David Thoreau

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Uberti 1862 Pocket Barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:14:35 PM »
Uberti to Uberti - Yes  ( however you might see cylinder to barrel spacing issue )
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
What Major said +1
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:01:48 PM »

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 08:42:56 PM »
Uberti to Uberti - Yes  ( however you might see cylinder to barrel spacing issue )

That's why God made little #4 brass washers.  Thanks guys.  I might just get a 6.5" Navy barrel and loading lever for my little 4.5" police from the good folks at VTI. 
"We should come home from afar,  from adventures and perils and discoveries every day, with new experiences and character." - Henry David Thoreau

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 09:09:28 PM »

The best barrel length is the 5 1/2" in my opinion. It looks in proportion to the frame, etc. I have experience with both. The 6 1/2" loading lever is very frail and will bend easy when seating a tight ball.
The Mid-length barrel has a better balance and feel.

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
The best barrel length is the 5 1/2" in my opinion. It looks in proportion to the frame, etc. I have experience with both. The 6 1/2" loading lever is very frail and will bend easy when seating a tight ball.
The Mid-length barrel has a better balance and feel.

I couldn't agree with you more with regard to the 5.5 looking so right.  Interesting about the 6.5 loading lever.  Maybe I'll get the 5.5 police barrel instead.  It will be a nice companion for my 5.5 Navy '62. 

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 08:37:44 PM »
Just bought one of the 62 Pocket Navies in 5.5" and really love how they look. Had one many years ago and stupidly sold it off--a long story but we all make gun mistakes. Looking forward to shooting this one when Tresso nipples come in and the darn winter weather breaks. Didn't we just do this cold weather thing?
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »

You will want Slix-shot nipples. for a custom fit, a drill press & file will dress the skirt/sides down for a proper fit. The hammer safety groove must be de-burred so the spent cap will not stick to the hammer face. I use my rotary tool and a small tapered stone to remove the sharp sides of the notch.
With out doing the above, you will be very disappointed in the performance of the piece. Cap jams will occur and lock up the Cylinder.

Treso nipples are not the way to go.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »
Thanks, Lefty for the info. The only reason for using the Treso nipples was I remember reading(I think here) that the Slick-Shots wouldn't quite fit in the Uberti Pocket pistols. Will try your suggestion as there are more Uberti cap guns here at the hacienda that I can use the Tressos' on.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
You will want Slix-shot nipples. for a custom fit, a drill press & file will dress the skirt/sides down for a proper fit. The hammer safety groove must be de-burred so the spent cap will not stick to the hammer face. I use my rotary tool and a small tapered stone to remove the sharp sides of the notch.
With out doing the above, you will be very disappointed in the performance of the piece. Cap jams will occur and lock up the Cylinder.

Treso nipples are not the way to go.

That's all I use in my C&B guns (treso). Something peculiar when it comes to the pocket models?
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 07:06:26 PM »
Sometime in the next few weeks I am going to do a series of test firings with my two brand new Uberti 1862s.  I have on hand at least five brand new nipples of the following after market types:

Treso standard 12-28 .501" nipples
Treso shorter .485" nipples as advertised to be suitable for .31 cal revolvers
Slix-Shot nipples
Track of the Wolf 12-28 stainless steel nipples .501"
Track of the Wolf stainless steel 5.5x.9mm .485" as advertised to be suitable for .31/.36 cal revolvers (will be here by Wednesday)

I will also conservatively soften the hard edges of the hammer notches.  The actions have already been cleaned up and lightly stoned with an extremely fine stone.  Loads will be 15grs of Goex fffg.  I have on hand Remington #10, CCI #11 and RWS 1075 percussion caps.  

I also recently purchased the Uberti 1849 pocket, 1851 navy and 1861 navy.  All of these and the 1862s came with ..501" nipples.  Base or skirt diameters were a consistent .295".   I will give a full report of my findings on this board.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
Thanks for doing this, Ike. I'm sure many of us will be keenly interested in the outcome.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 11:48:16 PM »

We found that a .7CC or 1.0CC of APP under the ball will be most sufficient for the 62 Police/Pocket Navy. The 15 gr's of what you speak will blow the caps off the nipples.
You will be way over power for the 62. Unless of course, if you do not want to run the little piece fast, or for competition.
We spent a Morning at the range using various load, nipple and Hammer spring combinations.
Our findings were; the .7CC Lee dipper of APP, slix-shot nipples, stock Hammer spring would maintain performance, shooting the five chambers as fast as we could. Four out of five caps would still be on the nipples when the run was complete.

Just passing along some experience for what its worth. Yours may vary from the above, however we are quite pleased with the results we obtained. ;)

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 08:03:05 AM »
I have had a pocket navy with a 5 1/2" barrel for years and never shot it, always wanted to but never got around to it. I'll certainly give it a go when it warms up.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
We found that a .7CC or 1.0CC of APP under the ball will be most sufficient for the 62 Police/Pocket Navy. The 15 gr's of what you speak will blow the caps off the nipples.
You will be way over power for the 62. Unless of course, if you do not want to run the little piece fast, or for competition.
We spent a Morning at the range using various load, nipple and Hammer spring combinations.
Our findings were; the .7CC Lee dipper of APP, slix-shot nipples, stock Hammer spring would maintain performance, shooting the five chambers as fast as we could. Four out of five caps would still be on the nipples when the run was complete.

Just passing along some experience for what its worth. Yours may vary from the above, however we are quite pleased with the results we obtained. ;)

Thanks Lefty.  I have tons of APP and will start with that load and go up until untoward things begin to happen.

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti 1862 Pocket Barrels and a Nipples Report
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
A quick report:

1. The short Track of the Wolf SS 5.5x.9mm nipples for .31/36 cal Colt and Remington pocket guns did not fit.  I put one in and the threads were so tight I broke my nipple wrench trying to remove it. Thank goodness I had a spare that could be modified to fit the smaller opening.

2. The large Treso nipples did not help the cap jams.  I have some of the shorter ones in my '49 but will leave well enough alone for now.

3. The base of the TOTW SS larger size nipples were too large.  When I filed them in a drill press only the narrow rim lost metal.  The base ended up as an oval with the widest part still too big for the slots in the cylinder.  

Folks, my arthritic thumbs have had enough of this foolishness.  I give up.  The two new 1862s are now packed away in the bottom of my safe.  While working on these in the shop my language was as foul as a two-hole outhouse.  Eventually they will become part of a static display in the show case I will build for all of my cap guns both working and duds.  If anyone is interested in purchasing the '62s I'm open to offers.

Uberti should place the following label on their boxes: "Warning: Percussion Revolvers May Be Hazardous to Your Sanity."

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti 1862 Pocket Barrels and a Nipples Report
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 04:53:18 PM »
A quick report:

1. The short Track of the Wolf SS 5.5x.9mm nipples for .31/36 cal Colt and Remington pocket guns did not fit.  I put one in and the threads were so tight, I broke my nipple wrench trying to remove it. Thank goodness I had a spare that could be modified to fit the smaller opening.

2. The large Treso nipples did not help the cap jams.  I have some of the shorter ones in my '49 but will leave well enough alone for now.

3. The base of the TOW SS larger size nipples were too large.  When I filed them in a drill press only the narrow rim lost metal.  The base ended up as an oval with the widest part still too big for the slots in the cylinder.  

Folks, my arthritic thumbs have had enough of this foolishness.  I give up.  The two new 1862s are now packed away in the bottom of my safe.  While working on these in the shop, my language was as foul as a two-hole outhouse.  Eventually they will become part of a static display in the show case I will build for all of my cap guns both working and duds.  If anyone is interested in purchasing the '62s I'm open to offers.

Uberti should place the following label on their boxes: "Warning: Percussion Revolvers May Be Hazardous to Your Sanity."

Take out a nipple and send it to TOTW and ask them to match it.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 12:11:36 AM »

I guess you missed my suggestion of using only Slix-Shot nipples.  :(

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
Lefty:

I was and am cognizant of your instruction regarding the use of Slix-Shot nipples in the '62s for which I'm sure I will be very grateful. I just really, really need a break from them for a while.  When I get around to shooting them in that configuration I will post something about it. Thanks much pard.

I don't know how the folks at Uberti feel about the fit and function of their guns out of the box but I sure wouldn't have long stayed in business for myself had my designs and work had been so irresponsible. Besides the nipple problem, their revolvers invariably have arbors that are too short, the chamber diameters are too narrow and would it kill them to install taller front sights for heaven's sake?  I know that the Italian people are capable of extremely fine craftsmanship.  My Beretta AL391 Urika shotgun is a magnificent mechanical work of art .  The 1972 Alfa Romeo GTV and 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Spider in my garage still perform wonderfully after more than forty years.

There is absolutely no excuse for placing the burden of function on the customer.  Yes, it would increase the price but doesn't the cost of making the guns operate as expected add to one's overall expenditure?  In fact it's rather shameful.  I think I will write the company a polite letter reflecting my views and concerns.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 12:48:02 PM »

As Mr. Pettifogger as stated on occasion, All the Cap & Ball revolvers are "Deluxe Kits". They must be finished by the Buyer.

If you follow Mr. Pettifogger's instructions you will have a very reliable, functioning, and competitive Revolver.

I now own four pair of C & B's, I followed the instructions. All preform very well and are reliable.

Because of the reasonable cost I am able to purchase more than a pair.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com