Author Topic: HEGE-Uberti 1858  (Read 8650 times)

Offline Joaquin Murrieta

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HEGE-Uberti 1858
« on: October 26, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »
Hi guys,

I am based in nothern Europe and just received my first black powder revolver. As its quite difficult and expensive to get a gun license here I chose to buy the "best" one I can afford (no sense in paying $165 for various permits to buy and import a $250 gun). So, after researching the subject I bought the HEGE-Uberti Remington 1858 New Army Lothar Walther Match Special. The Lothar Walther -part means that it has a L. Walther made match barrel. I also chose the factory trigger job and special hardening on certain parts in the action and 2 extra cylinders fitted to the revolver. I dealt directly with HEGE. It took them 3 weeks to get an export licence while the gun etc. spent 3.5 weeks at their gun smith. Their courier brought it to my door 4 weeks to the day from my order.

So, I just received it late on friday and my first chance to try it out is a week away so I have basically been cleaning the factory oils off and applying my own and getting used to the feel of it.

Fit and finish is very nice. No complaints at all. Cylinder stop is much more precise than my Rugers. When it engages there is absolutely zero movement in any direction. Trigger is very crisp, haven't measured it but feels pretty much like what I ordered (1.2kgs). Grip is smallish but I guess that is something I get used to.

My only complaint is that they are not very quick to answer any emails. At start I didn't get any response from them so I had to call Germany. They did indeed have my order on their table but I guess they were  too busy to answer. And it seems to take more than one try before they react - even after they have received your money. But, after all I am happy with the result. 

Keeping my fingers crossed that its as accurate as marketed too. ;)

My gear:

Barrell markings on top:

And on the under side the barrell makers mark:

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: HEGE-Uberti 1858
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »
Joaquin,

It is my understanding that these are very highly thought of and very accurate revolvers. However, they are modified Uberti made Remington revolvers.
Just a thought on my part, but, you may want to check out the Pedersoli made counter part to these.
They are not cheap, but they are made from the ground floor up as target grade revolver all by Davide Pedersoli. No middle man involved.
I don't know if this will make a difference in the finished cost to you or not, but it might be worth checking out?
I can send you DP's contact info if you wish. They are very good about getting back in touch with folks that e-mail them.
Let me know.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Joaquin Murrieta

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:34:07 PM »
Blair, thanks. I know of Pedersoli and they are available here. But, like i wrote I did buy this gun, had it modded for me and also received it already. Its been a considerable investment for me. So, I won't be buying an another one any time soon. Instead I hope to learn the BP thing and have fun while doing it.  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:33:01 AM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:04:56 AM »
Joaquin Murrietta: knowing the HEGE Folks quite well there is probably only one person in the team who is able to communicate in English - Dr. G. - and he is traveling a lot.
This might be an explanation for the retarded response.
Enjoy your new shooter and share your experience with this remmy, please.
Where are you stationed in Northern Europe?
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Joaquin Murrieta

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »
Hi, thanks for your reply. I will report back when I get some experience. I today received my new nipples from Track and will be going to range next weekend.

About communication: I did send my inquiries also auf Deutsch until I called and found out my contact spoke english. My technical inquiry last night was replied today so I am happy with that.

Z

llanerosolitario

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »

this page offers interesting information from a top european World champion in several MLAIC disciplines.

http://www.avancarga.com/8_articulos/25/1_revolver/temas/18_replica/18_replica.htm

he is using now a Pedersoli, but he complains about softer steel on the frame, like evident marks on the frame where the cilinder rests, from continous shooting,  softer steel (typical italian.... ;D) in the trigger and mechanism, softer steel on barrels, and oversized grips that had to be filed for competition in the 2011 Finland european championship and weak hammer springs.

he says that it might well be  a Uberti revolver with a better Pedersoli barrel, at twice the price,  but shows no proof of it beyond finding   just the same shooting marks  on the frame  in another Uberti revolver (see photos in link) from continous shooting. (lets nor forget that these World champions normally shoot their guns a lot, to the point of needing a new  revolver every few years)

it seems that the HEGE 1858 revolver is highly appreciated for competition by top shooters thanks to the Lothar Walther barrels and the heat treatment in parts and frame.

I think I might be buying one also, as I need a new Remington.

Portuguese  shooter Paulo Jorge, WORLD CHAMPION in Mariette ( MLAIC  25 meters bullseye black powder revolver,) discipline, in 2006, in Burdeax, France, uses  a Hege army Match revolver and it seems that many top shooters do it too.

his pet load:

a mild 16 grains of SWISS N2, with a 32  long case full of semoline (these World champions never use wads, which prevents them  from getting top accuracy results) and a 454 H & N  german ball, with a minimum amount of Wonder lube 1000 grease over the ball (according to him, too much grease is no good for accuracy).

all the best

Offline treadhead1952

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »
Hi Joaquin,

That is quite the pedigree for your new Remington Army, I am sure you will be quite happy with the results at the range.  I look forward to your Range Report once you get out to blaze away with it.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com