Author Topic: USFA Restoration  (Read 18258 times)

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: USFA Restoration
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
"effectively double the chamber strength in .45 Colt. "

My point continues to be: "Pretty optimistic.  Stronger sure.  But all the Ubertis and the vast majority of the USFA guns use the same larger cylinder and window dimensions."

Early  1st gen Colts were malleable iron cylinders and a RC of 22-24.  Intermediate Colt guns with later formulation carbon steels went from RC24-30 over the next century.  Current Colt and some of the better imports, including Uberti using modern US chrome moly steel or similar European steel, RC test at a RC 30-35 and have as early as 2000 and before. 

So while the bolt cut and cylinder on a .45 added .010" on a USFA, and are indeed stronger than the originals Colt's....the USFA or Uberti cylinder's (which are one and the same for this conversation for steel quality and pressure) is no where near capable of handling "double the chamber pressures" of even the original .45 Colt loads.

I've read, and re-read the above posts and have yet to find anyone, self included, advocating the use of loads generating "double the chamber pressures" to which you refer, where the 45 Colt is concerned. The nearest thing I can find is Mr. Pearce's quoted reference of the USFA .45 Colt chambers being effectively doubled in strength due to the additional metal in the area of the bolt notches. Far from a recommendation of feeding said revolver 28,000 psi loads, I'd say. Surely most handgunners with even a modicum of knowledge understand that most revolvers can "handle" far more pressure than generated by factory loads; the issue however is accelerated wear on the revolver. Were it not so, then most revolvers would come from together when the required proof load was fired in them.
  Another interesting little tidbit I discovered is the fact that my USFA's cylinder dimensions at the bolt notch are all but identical to those of my Ruger NM Vaquero in the same caliber, which is generally accepted as being able to handle loads in the 22-24,000 psi range.
   If you disagree with the information I've submitted, you're spinning your wheels telling me. Your best bet would be to contact the original source of the purported information, Wolfe Publishing.

SAMMI spec on the original .45 Colt is 14,000 psi.   44 Special has even more steel in the cylinder obviously and why Elmer used the 44 Special instead of a 45 Colt.  Even Mr. Pearce limits the useful pressure in a USFA .44 as 22,00psi there.

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian%20Pearce%20on%20the%2044%20Special.pdf

Don't get me wrong, the USFA SAAs are nice guns.  I have owned a number of them for m the US gun's inception.  Love them.  But the original SAA design, even with an added .01" is still by comparison, to almost any modern revolver,  a weak and obsolete design.

I would think one would be hard pressed to find a traditional SAA from USFA chambered in .44 magnum.  Or any USFA 44 mag. besides the heavier framed Shooting Master.  Please correct me if that is my error.

It's difficult to discuss this subject when you haven't read the information to which I refer, and honestly it's pain to quote the source only to have someone argue with you. The information regarding the .44 Magnum is in the aforementioned magazine.
   Honestly, I doubt either of us know more than the other on the subject, but I tend to trust information from those who are paid to gather the information, rather than someone on an internet forum.
   Really, do yourself a favor and order a back issue of the magazine. I found the article to be fascinating and informative and think you would too.

Cholla

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
   Beautiful revolver! I had no idea they made them in .30 Carbine.

Also off the subject, but humorous....

Last Sunday afternoon we had some family and friends over which almost always leads to shooting. (I have a series of ranges at my house) Me, being the proud new owner of a USFA was having a ball wringing it out on my 200 yd. gong. After a couple or three cylinders my son-in-law expressed interest in the revolver. (To put this in to perspective, he owns an AR-15 with the predictable accoutrements and some sort of hi-cap, fat grip plastic 9mm...a Steyr I think.)
  Anyhow, I had gotten a REALLY good deal on this particular USFA because some knucklehead had evidently employed a screwdriver to assist with the removal of the cylinder pin, and slipped, and had also, evidently, attempted to remove/install the cylinder while the bolt was in the up position thereby scuffing the cylinder. So after I had mentioned my good fortune regarding the purchase price of the revolver he innocently asked: "So, did you get a good deal on it because of this discoloration?" as he pointed at the Turnbull color case hardening in the receiver.

Cholla

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »
"I have THE same gun"

Nice one!   Might make one wonder just how many .30 Carbine guns they made :)

Just sent one of my early Turnbull guns back to be refinished.  My goal in life is to wear out as many USFA guns as humanly possible!
Some sticker shock involved on this last one.  I won't be having it done again in 10 years, that is or sure.  It can out live me in the  white next time around.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:01:02 AM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 09:53:07 PM »
Yes, totally agree.

We've both been tracking the USFA guns awhile now.   I've either bought from or sold to many of the guys with deep pockets, with or in the process of building nice USFA collections in the last year or more.

Gary has been wonderful sharing info here and in private.

As hard as it is to come by actual USFA documented info it hasn't been a lot better with Turnbull.  And I know he has the records of what was produced there.  Has too by law.  Just no reason yet to dig it all out or pass it on accurately.

May be someone in the future will get a hold of the actual production records at USFA and make them public.  Hope so.  Sure would help any owner document their personal collection.

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 11:05:42 PM »
Guys, forgive me if I've not kept up with this thread.I've had some doctorin to contend with, including the removal of a fist-sized cyst in my chest pressing on my windpipe. Thankfully, most cysts are benign, as was mine, & I'm back to work, almost 100% now. Cholla, my USFA is one of the all US-made Premium Grade models.....it looks just like the one below the .357 revolver that Yahoody posted, now that is. You wouldn't have wanted to see it the day I blew it up, which was caused by me putting a double charge of 10.9GRS of VV N-350 powder in the case because I didn't move the funnel to the next one before I threw the next charge & didn't check the powder levels in all cases with a light before I seated the bullets in them.
As I said, the color case-hardening on the cylinder frame does NOT have the clearcoat applied to it as it did when it was shipped from the USFA factory when I first purchased it several years ago, but that has no effect on accuracy!. jd45

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 11:30:01 PM »
A toast to your recovery and continued good health, Sir!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com