Author Topic: Current resources and budgets for carbine barrel relining  (Read 3781 times)

Mor-Kik

Current resources and budgets for carbine barrel relining
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »
Good morning!

I am looking two 1860 carbine barrels, and have come to the conclusion that they're purely 'relining' projects at this point.  After really extensive cleaning and wishful thinking about the extent rifling, they're just beyond hope.  One has chamber damage with rust-through to the extractor slot, and the other has too much loss of rifling and massive areas of really rough pitting (rotten is a good descriptor).

I'm looking for recent info on anyone's preference for smiths that reline these - as well as what I should expect to budget for the jobs.  Each to be relined to 50 cal., chambered for original 56/50 case dimensions (not the AS/Starline undersized rim cartridge). 

Haven't heard of anyone other than Larry Romano and Robert Hoyt that does these. 

Thanks for any info!

ps - if anyone has cost info that they don't want to communicate in-the-open, feel free to message me - thnx!

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Current resources and budgets for carbine barrel relining
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
In my opinion the best choice would be Larry Romano.  Call him.  If no answer, just keep trying.  He's busy and may not respond to messages.  No one knows more about what works.  Be patient and be sure to speak with him.  Others may not do some of the tweaks he does.  All lining is not the same.  Chamber dimensions and rifling twist are big factors in Spencer accuracy.
Regards,  Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Rim fire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »
I would recommend Bob Hoyt.  He has done many Spencer relines at a cost of $150.  He does both cal. 56-56, and 56-50.  Before you reline try soaking the barrel in Evapo-rust.  I have a Spencer rifle that I thought was toast.  I couldn't see rifling the last 3" of the barrel and the chamber would not except a cartridge.  After soaking for one week, the rifling became visible except for about 1  1/2 " at the muzzle.  Thought I would try it before I sent it to Hoyt.  To my surprise it shot a 2" group at 50 yards.  Never pass judgement on a barrel until you try it.  Use your own judgement as to the safety of the firearm before shooting.  My shooting was done with black powder.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:53:14 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »
Both Ramano and Hoyt are good choices for the work you are looking at getting done.
As to price... you will have to check that out for yourself.

I have seen some original breech loading arms that have had some pretty, (this is a polite way of saying it) fuzzy looking bores, that actually shot rather well within most modern competition.
You just wont know until you try?
My best,
 Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Mor-Kik

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
Thanks all - may have to try firing one of these first.  The other has a pretty sizeable gap in the chamber wall where it rusted through to the extractor slot, so I'm not going to risk it with that one - kinda tough since the bore actually looks pretty fair, with visible rifling all the way to the muzzle.   

Offline Rim fire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:33:45 PM »
One of the Spencer's I shoot has a rather large rusted out area in the chamber were the extracter goes, and it shoots without a problem.  The case wall is rather thick in the cut down 50-70, and the pressures with black powder are very low compared to smokeless where any chamber issues are cause to not shoot that barrel.  As always do what you feel comfortable with.

Mor-Kik

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 09:57:01 AM »
A follow-up and kudos to Rim Fire.  I decided to give the Evap-o-rust bath a shot, and this stuff is almost miraculous.  One of the carbine barrels I thought was completely trashed now looks nearly pristine from chamber to muzzle - it would be a sin to reline it now.  Only have to figure out how to deal with the atrocious pitting on the outside...

Picked up a Spencer 28" sporter barrel in 56-46 that looked to be in the same rotten bore condition.  It needs some more work, but a two-day soak has done amazing things with it as well. 

I'm just amazed at the difference this stuff makes - it will definitely be the 'go-to' first step on projects going forward.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
For consideration:
Pitted bores allow black powder fouling to lay under fresh leading scraped into the pits.  Often the corrosion continues under the leading because even vigorous brushing cannot remove the imbedded cover of lead.  This sort of progressive accumulation is difficult to stop. 
Respectfully, Kevin
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com