Author Topic: Help on original 1876 Winchester Barn Find Project with pics Finally!  (Read 26216 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Help on original 1876 Winchester Barn Find Project with pics Finally!
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 03:49:27 PM »
oldguncrazy,

You know of the thumb print area on the dust cover?
That too fits into the early production of you firearm.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
Yes I read about it. I was so ignorant with Winchesters that I figured they made a boatload of 76s just like they did 73s.

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »
dust cover

Advertising

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
Stock in natural light

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
oldgungrazy,
There should be a number stamped in the toe of the butt plate and a corresponding number on the side of the lower tang on the receiver.  Do these numbers match?  If not, which numbers are different?  The butt stock should also have the same number stamped in the channel cut-out for the top tang.  These are assembly numbers, not serial numbers.

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »
I can barely make out a 53 on the lower tang on left side. Cant tell if there is another number that follows. I see a triangle on the front point of the stock and possibly a 3. The top tang cutout is extremely worn and dirty either from recoil or someone taking it off a long time ago. Doesnt look recent. I cant find a number on the buttplate but I haven't soaked it. Its pretty dirty and corroded.

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
Im also having a rough time getting the extractor pin out of the bolt. I have soaked it and got it to budge alittle but its not moving now. I don't trust myself to try and drill it out. Any suggestions on thst would be great.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »
Im also having a rough time getting the extractor pin out of the bolt. I have soaked it and got it to budge alittle but its not moving now. I don't trust myself to try and drill it out. Any suggestions on thst would be great.

You might try Kroil which is about the best for getting rust frozen metal pieces apart.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »
Thanks Will. Ive heard about it but will have to order some. Couldnt find any at the local stores. Im visiting a sick family member in Kalispell MT till friday. I ordered replacement parts from Bob Knapp and will put them in this weekend. Im still scrounging for originals as well. Thanks everyone for the help.

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
She lives!

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 09:15:28 PM »
Need some help, firing pin is in and mainsping. Man its got a heavy action with the new spring. The firing pin retractor works but is the pin supposed to just freefloat? Seems like on a fast rack it moves forward on its own(firing pin). Also the trigger has alot of play, its crisp  but has alot of travel forward almost like it needs a return spring. Is this normal? 

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
Hello oldguncrazy,and congratulations on making the choice of preserving the old 1876 Winchester. If the firing pin floats that means all is well! When they are slick and a round is slammed home the primer will show a small mark SOME OF THE TIME. The first time I noticed this ,I sat up straight too! Yes Sir the trigger float is also normal. Have you tried adjusting the Main spring tension ? That may help. The 1876 Winchester is a ,as you know Very Large action and a good and well tuned one has a very positive feel when racked back and fore.Good luck on your project and I ,Hope you the Best ,,,,,,DT

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
Thanks DT, huge help. I cant wait to take her to the range. Hopefully wont be much longer. Ive read that the early second models are iron frames instead of steel? Should I get some custom rounds with a low load to start? After all this work Id hate to blow her up.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
That old rifle should only use Black Powder Loads and that would be after the headspace is checked and all the Toggle pins are inspected. I shoot my Original 1876 Winchesters regular,with No problems. But I gave them a close inspection first. Trust your judgment and have a good time with your project.,,,,DT

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
Thanks Dusty, I wouldn't shoot smokeless. Having a firing pin through my eye doesn't sound like fun haha. What is the correct headspacing? I tried to find measurements online with no luck. The pins look good. Im still going to lay her in an old tire with a string just to be safe.Orderibg magazine spring, dustcover spring and a few others then its time to order some ammo.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 09:55:12 AM »
Thanks Dusty, I wouldn't shoot smokeless. Having a firing pin through my eye doesn't sound like fun haha. What is the correct headspacing? I tried to find measurements online with no luck. The pins look good. Im still going to lay her in an old tire with a string just to be safe.Orderibg magazine spring, dustcover spring and a few others then its time to order some ammo.
That was just a friendly reminder about the BP. What is the correct headspacing ? That is a tough one with these old lever actions and obsolete cartridges. If I was going to shoot the old rifle ,not saying You Should do This!!!!. I would first purchase some 45-75 wcf brass. After the brass has been sized correctly I would chamber a  couple of the empty cases and check how much end play the bolt has ,(when it is closed on the case ) The rim thickness (fit) between bolt face and chamber stop is what you must measure. Brass rim thickness for these old cartridges vary + or -  . I look for a close fit as possible . One thing that I would do for sure is ,after I got the bore cleaned or pollished as good as possible . I would slug the bore and use  soft lead bullets .002 over bore and No jacketed bullets.After you slug the bore send me the measurement . I have original Winchester moulds and would be glad to send you some soft cast bullets to try.,,,,DT

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 09:22:40 AM »
oldguncrazy,
This is way off the subject, but I was born and raised in Kalispell.  Thought it interesting when you made the comment that you were visiting with a sick friend in Kalispell.  Hope everything is well.

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
Thanks DT! That would be great.  My wifes stepfather just got diagnosed with stage4 lymphoma. He and my mother-in-law just moved to Kalispell 2 years ago. Its sad,  it was a life long dream of his to live there. Hes a Vietnam Vet and the doctors are pretty positive its from Agent Orange. Anyway, absolutely beautiful country up there.He mustered up the strength and we went shooting at the gravel pit near Talley Lake. I hope to see him and Montana again soon. Really was Gods Country.

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
Have any of you fellers used Gad Custom Cartridges out of Wisconsin? They are 50 bucks a box of 45-75. 63 dollars shipped

Offline oldguncrazy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »
That was a bear. The pin was frozen solid to the extractor. The extractor actually cracked at the bottom of the hole.Went through 4 starter punches( Cheap Chinese Garbage) and the pin came out in two pieces

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com