Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 08:53:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Cutting Edge (Moderator: St. George)  |  Topic: Track of the Wolf Cumberland Bowie Knife 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Track of the Wolf Cumberland Bowie Knife  (Read 43245 times)
1961MJS
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 11:12:56 am »

Hi

I've been reading and re-reading Alex Kozlov's book on Plains India Knife Sheaths.  This is the result.  The first two pictures are of the completed Sheath.  Buck_Skin_01 shows the way I attempted to shive down the leather on the edges.  That worked well,  but could be pointier.  Buck_Skin_02 shows the back of the sheath.  Alex shows that beaded knife sheaths can be fringed using the same piece of Buck skin that is beaded by just running it over the edges and sewing the two pieces together.  It will look better if you lay the FRONT of the sheath flat and put the holes in to sew.  The front will look flat that way.  I did it the opposite way, which is why there's a ridge on the front of the sheath.

Later Y'all

* Buck_Skin_04.jpg (68.79 KB, 640x384 - viewed 178 times.)

* Buck_Skin_05.jpg (72.06 KB, 640x384 - viewed 132 times.)

* Buck_Skin_01.jpg (82.49 KB, 640x384 - viewed 155 times.)

* Buck_Skin_02.jpg (56.39 KB, 640x384 - viewed 126 times.)
1961MJS
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 07:05:30 pm »

1961MJS,

I've looked at that blade more than a few times (along with the Natchez, which I agree I like even better).  I'd love a report on what you think of the blade itself, if you get around to testing its cutting and edge-retaining mettle (pun absolutely intended).

Hi

I love the blade, I cut with it quite a bit and it holds an edge pretty well.  I didn't clean out my Lansky sharpener stones, so cleaning up the edge took longer.  Cleaned the stones and everything worked MUCH better.  This is my "Go to" kitchen knife.  I have a Russel Green River sheath knife that I open boxes and letters with.

Later
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Cutting Edge (Moderator: St. George)  |  Topic: Track of the Wolf Cumberland Bowie Knife « previous next »
Jump to: