Author Topic: black with gas checks  (Read 3851 times)

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
black with gas checks
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
Is it possible to load gas checked bullets with black? And if so are there any advantages?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: black with gas checks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »
Hammer1,

Have you read the rules of the group you wish to shot with?
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:49:41 PM »
Interesting question or I could be just over thinking it.  Normally GC bullets are cast from really hard alloys to be driven fast using smokeless.  Most BP bullets are cast from softer materials and flat based to reduce leading associated with bevel based bullets.  With the gas check in place, there should be no gas cutting but serious over kill.  If shooting the GC bullet without the GC, we have something similar to but much worse than a bevel base, so probably not a good move.

We have not even started the lube discussion.

I would not do it, but... Give it a try. Tthe worst that can happen is you find a bullet not designed for BP use is not suitable for BP use, the best is you find conventional wisdom is wrong and they work ok for your application.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:07:46 PM »

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:30 PM »
Thanks gents, Blair, this isnt for competition. Im simply wondering about the feasibility of it. Capt. Dan, I was thinking along the same lines, totally wrong lube, probably be a monster to clean. Unless you change to BP lube, and then the gas check helps to removes some deposits, possibly like the zinc washers used for some minie bullets.

Offline cheatin charlie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »
By luck I have just finished reading American Rifleman June 1977.  Article on the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association.  They were
shooting 45-70 duplex blackpowder loads with gas check bullets.  Shooting 1-2 and 300 meters prone with no support or sling used.
Pretty neat article everyone is dressed in period uniforms.  So yes with the proper setup you can use gas check bullets with good
results.  They were using blackpowder lube on their bullets.  Try it you might like it!

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:32:43 PM »
I do not see why it shouldn't work just fine as long as you are using a decent amount of BP lube.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:01:57 PM »
Or, try it with APP.  BP lube is not required.  Smokeless lube works just fine, as does (gasp) no lube at all  :o

Coffinmaker

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »
Gas checks are not needed for SASS matches with black powder but they probably won't help accuracy or function.  However, if you are going for bigger game than SASS steel, gas checks could be helpful.  The reason for the copper alloy gas checks is to keep hot gasses from leaking past and melting the bullets.  For SASS shooting, that's not a question.  But, for high country elk, it's another matter.  I'd do my homework, take notes and report back.  We will learn from your experience.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 09:54:21 PM »
The only .38 mould I have is the Lyman slug for the .375 H&H. It is a gascheck design and drops at .377 of wheel weight metal. I have a box of gaschecks but haven't really used them. I shoot them bare-@&&ed in my Win Hi-Wall in .38-55, re-bored by Ron Smith in Alberta in .376 gain-twist, and they group wonderfully and the bore cleans up real slick like with normal BP cleaning.

I'd say don't worry yor pretty li'l head about it, just shoot 'em. That is unless you are going for Quigley type targets. Of course, by that time you will have had a proper mould custom made.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline U.S.M.R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »
I have an Uberti 1876 carbine in .45-75.  I use the

I have an Uberti carbine in .45-75.  I use the RCBS 325GC bullet mold with 71 grs. of Goex 2f.  At 100 yds. 5 shots just about touch.

rcbs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com