Author Topic: Spencer Bullet Mold  (Read 6124 times)

Offline Grayfoxx3

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer Bullet Mold
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
Those of you that cast bullets for the 56-56 1860 Model Spencer may be interested in finding a mold that casts an EXACT copy of the original bullet. About 6 yrs ago I had one custom made for me using the bullet from a Spencer cartridge that was a battlefield pickup dud. It was made for me by NEI Hand Tools in El Paso Texas.
They should have the cherry in storage and could easily make one if ordered. Those who like to be as "authentic" as possible might find this info interesting.

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
Re: Spencer Bullet Mold
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »
Those of you that cast bullets for the 56-56 1860 Model Spencer may be interested in finding a mold that casts an EXACT copy of the original bullet. About 6 yrs ago I had one custom made for me using the bullet from a Spencer cartridge that was a battlefield pickup dud. It was made for me by NEI Hand Tools in El Paso Texas.
They should have the cherry in storage and could easily make one if ordered. Those who like to be as "authentic" as possible might find this info interesting.

The problem with using an exact copy of the bullet used in an 1860 Spencer is that this bullet has a point to it.  If you put this bullet on a brass case that is center fire, then when the cartridge is placed in the magazine the point of the bullet will be resting on the center fire primer of the cartridge ahead of it and all kinds of bad things could happen.  The original Spender bullet was rim fire so having a pointed bullet in the magazine wasn’t an issue back in 1860.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:19:46 PM »
Major,

Thank you for your post . . . WHEW!!! ;D

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:01:53 PM »

Offline Grayfoxx3

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »
That's right it does have a point like the original BUT I take a flat file and flatten the point slightly thereby eliminating the possibility of such an occurrence happening. In addition the primers are harder than the soft lead of the bullet. I`ve run many rounds through the magazine in this fashion and no problems have occurred. :)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »
That's right it does have a point like the original BUT I take a flat file and flatten the point slightly thereby eliminating the possibility of such an occurrence happening. In addition the primers are harder than the soft lead of the bullet. I`ve run many rounds through the magazine in this fashion and no problems have occurred. :)

GULP!  That makes me nervous.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but why didn't you just have the mold made identical to the original bullet, except with a wide flat point?  Did you originally intend to use reloadable rimfire cases like Dixie sells?  There have been quite a few documented cases were repro Henry rifles have exploded when cartridges were dropped into the magazine and that soft lead bullet impacting the primer of the next round set off an explosion.  I don't know it has happened in a Spencer, but it is possible. I would not assume that just because lead is softer than a primer, that it can't set it off.  So long as you file a flat on the bullet nose that is a bit wider than the primer, I'd think you'd be ok.  Bottom line - safety first :)
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
Primer bumpers anyone?  Sorry I could not resist. 

Offline tripehound

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
What is the NEI name and number for this mold? Sounds like just the thing for my Joslyn, Ballard, and Sharps and Hankins.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
Hello:
There is a "Lakota Spencer" bullet listed.  Be careful with this otherwise nice looking design.  It was developed at considerable cost by a member of Larry Romano's N-SSA Spencer shooting team.  It was hoped that it would be great for both Spencers and Maynards, but was not good in either, per Larry.  Twist rates vary in Spencers.  Please be sure that any suggested mold is compatible with YOUR twist. 
Regards,
Kevin
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline tripehound

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Spencer mold
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have both a Romano .56-.50 rifle and an original .56-.50 carbine that my wife and I use in the N-SSA’s Breechloader II competition. The question was: "What is the NEI name and number for this mold?”, the mold being the 56-56 1860 Model Spencer. The “Lakota Spencer” is listed as .514-325 #378C, and this is the number used to order the mould. This mould is for the .56-.50 Model 1865 and is too small for what I want.

I have modified a Lyman .542622 hollow base mini into a heeled flat base bullet which I am trying to use in a Ballard carbine (.56 Ballard), a Joslyn carbine (.56 Joslyn) and both Army and Navy Sharps & Hankins carbines (.56 S&H), all of which have been slugged and appear to need about a .548 heeled bullet. If the NEI bullet is an EXACT copy of an original it ought to work. The twist rate is irrelevant as I can adjust the powder charge to accommodate any reasonable twist rate.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
Re: Spencer mold
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 12:01:16 PM »
I haven't shot a Sharps & Hankins. The Owziak 56-56 bullet works well in both Spencer and Joslyn. It is available in 0.535" and 0.542". It does not shoot worth a hoot in my Ballard rifle. Although chambered for a nominal 56-56 cartridge, the bore is actually 54 caliber. There are some boxes of original 56-56 ammo with oversize bullets marked "For Ballard", so mine probably isn't the only one. With a 0.558" bullet, it shot quite well at the last N-SSA National. The only problem is that the chamber has no taper at all. If the cases are a little hard, you get some gas back through the action, which is mostly a cleaning problem. If you anneal the cases well, they can stick in the chamber. I needed to rod out a few cases on the line.

Your modified Lyman may work OK even if it is undersize, since it is hollow base.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »
Sorry Grayfox, I missed the "-56". 
Nice to see Ariz/Tony helping.
Tony, just curious: What's the twist in your Romano rifle, please?  Could be either 36" if from a Douglas blank or 32" if cut by Larry from 41L40.
I have rifle #10021 with the 32" twist.  Both carbines #'s 10031 and 10032 also have 32".  Each get excellent accuracy with Larry's 315gr, single groove bullet that is .704" long.  It casts in Lyman #2, 16Bhn alloy, at .514" and is sized to .512".
Regards,
Kevin
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com