Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:05:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Powder Room - CAS reloading (Moderator: Professor Marvel)  |  Topic: what if Custer's 7th had been armed with Spencers/Winchesters and Schofields 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what if Custer's 7th had been armed with Spencers/Winchesters and Schofields  (Read 19620 times)
Buffalo Creek Law Dog
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2017, 10:12:48 pm »

Didn't say that he had them at LBH, did I? I said that he has them in his support train. Poor intel and recce set him up for his debacle along with terrain issues.

Great bein' an armchair general after the fact, ain't it? I got a pal in war gaming and he keeps asking me to get involved. He says it's an excellent way to learn something about tactics - with the benefit of hindsight, that is!

The first line in your post gave the impression that he had the Gatling guns with him when he arrived at LBH.  LBH is my next favourite hobby after CAS.  I have been to LBH approx 15 + times and have two bookshelves with over 50 books plus numerous papers, writings, articles etc  all on LBH.  I have been on the LBH forum since internet became available.  I have followed the Custer trail from fort Abraham Lincoln (Bismarck, ND) to the LBH a couple of times.  Hollywood always shows that when they left the fort, they arrived at LBH the same day, when in fact it took them 40 days to get to LBH.  I guess you could say that I'm a Custerphile.. I have given impromptu guided tours of the Reno/Benteen site, mainly because there were no information pamphlets left.  It is good to see that they now have pictographs/commentary at each of the markers showing what happened at each spot, rather than than having to rely on brochures that run out and are seldom replenished.  LBH is a fascinating study.  I'm 75 this year and I am going to LBH again this summer.  Probably the last time before I start collecting that pension cheque in the sky.  I was there on the anniversary (June 25, 1876) in 1998 and met Jon Custer, a descendent of Nevin Custer, GAC's brother.

Take care

Garryowen

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
Rolling45-70
Citizen

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2017, 05:52:43 am »

i would says that they fought 1 hour longer, maybe, to much Indians around...

i was asking a similar question at the British Militarya Forum under Martini Henry and the Zulu Wars Thread.

what are happen with the defenders of Roke Drift Natal  when the 4000 Zulu Warriors are armed with the English Longbows ( trained like a Yeoman) instead of their  War Cubes and short Spears.?

Klaus

Bunk Stagnerg
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »

it would seem to me that Custer was out maneuvered, out numbered, out gunned and just plane ran out of men and luck at the same time.
When he split his command, and crossed that creek he was finished and just did not know it.
The final score was Indians 1 Blue Coats 0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Powder Room - CAS reloading (Moderator: Professor Marvel)  |  Topic: what if Custer's 7th had been armed with Spencers/Winchesters and Schofields « previous next »
Jump to: