Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 03:34:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: I know British foods have a bad reputation, but..... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I know British foods have a bad reputation, but.....  (Read 10110 times)
Skeeter Lewis
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 02:54:58 pm »

The best British cooking is home cooking. A lot of the dishes have been mentioned - roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes, trifle etc. Lord - my dear old mum's cooking, God rest her soul!
I like to cook too. I make my own bread, cakes and marmalade. Come January, Seville oranges are ready and I get going. Oranges, sugar and water - that's all that's in it. No E numbers. On toast - oh boy!

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 09:19:54 am »

Don't know about okra, but animal feed is what turnips are good for. Don't know if anybody uses them for that anymore, though, they use more hand labor than corn, hay and silage.

I'm with Stu on the pinto beans, though. I would add cornbread to the beans and taters, though.
Angel_Eyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 04:52:04 am »

As a matter of interest Forty Rod, which British food has a bad rep?

I was born in Scotland and migrated to Nottinghamshire as a kid and reckon I have eaten in just about every county at one time or another. A lot of resteraunts over here churned out some pretty standard fodder through the 60' and 70's but I think it improved until the advent of the Microwave oven, things went downhill in a lot of the 'chain pubs'.

Local home cooked is the best as far as I am concerned, I describe my wife as a good plain cook, none of those fancy sauces that the french use to disguise crap food in our house! Beef is cooked until it don't bleed any more, no raw meat for me!

Proper rolled oats make the best porridge, steeped in water overnight before cooking, is best, and as for haggis,,,I love it!

Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!
Stu Kettle
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 06:54:43 am »

I'm with Stu on the pinto beans, though. I would add cornbread to the beans and taters, though.

I thought that was a given.
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 03:43:02 pm »

and as for haggis,,,I love it!

Hear, hear . . .

I can eat my weight in smoked Salmon as well. 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Mogorilla
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 12:54:23 pm »

freshly prepared Haggis absolutely.   I had some canned stuff and the dog wouldn't even eat it.

NCOWS #3297
Forty Rod
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 03:20:40 pm »

As a matter of interest Forty Rod, which British food has a bad rep?

I was born in Scotland and migrated to Nottinghamshire as a kid and reckon I have eaten in just about every county at one time or another. A lot of resteraunts over here churned out some pretty standard fodder through the 60' and 70's but I think it improved until the advent of the Microwave oven, things went downhill in a lot of the 'chain pubs'.

Local home cooked is the best as far as I am concerned, I describe my wife as a good plain cook, none of those fancy sauces that the french use to disguise crap food in our house! Beef is cooked until it don't bleed any more, no raw meat for me!

Proper rolled oats make the best porridge, steeped in water overnight before cooking, is best, and as for haggis,,,I love it!

Well (and this is my opinion.  I won't drag anyone else into it.) most puddings, anything boiled, and beef except pot roast.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.
Truly Grits
Very Active Citizen

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 01:13:20 am »

How about a good steak n kidney pie? My mother made one to die for. Condiments...how about pickled walnuts with your roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

Cheers!

A wise person once said ...
There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.
You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good.
So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't.
Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. Cheers!
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:51 am »

How about a good steak n kidney pie? My mother made one to die for. Condiments...how about pickled walnuts with your roast beef and yorkshire pudding.

Cheers!

My mother in law made steak and kidney pie for Christmas dinner and it was amazing.  The dark, rich gravy lingered on your palate and was so rich and smooth.

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: I know British foods have a bad reputation, but..... « previous next »
Jump to: