Author Topic: US pt. FA Restoration, Pic Heavy  (Read 9410 times)

Offline CptEnglehorn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
US pt. FA Restoration, Pic Heavy
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
I came across a 7.5 in, Early US PT FA MFG pistol, nickel finished and decided to pick it up for 900, came with its original box. Unfortunately upon arrival I noticed a few things were amiss, the pistol had not been taken care of and the nickel was dirty and peeling in some work areas. I also didnt like the uberti hammer with safety block. A local gunsmith to the prior owner had also done an action job on it, and when cocking the bolt would come up about 1/4 of the way out of the lead to the notch. All 6 leads had been extended in the cylinder due to the off timing. I sent the gun to Jim Alaimo of Nutmeg sports with another USFA pistol. I knew this would end up being a project but I asked Jim if he could bring it back to life. I wanted the gun re nickeled and the insides fixed as well as ivory and an action job, a good one. I received a call a couple weeks later saying he had done all the work requested, as well as replacing the screws and upon finding pitting in the barrel he took it upon himself to replace it with a brand new one, and even roll marked it US PT FA MFG Co. The pictures do not do this gun justice, it was used and somewhat abused and was rebuilt by a master from the ground up. Now sporting one piece carved ivory grips. Jim is an excellent craftsman and business man, he kept me informed every step of the way, he even said himself that the gun turned out better than he expected and that id be pleasantly surprised. Words cant describe how I feel about it. Most would say I probably invested to much into it, but its a beautiful piece, and now in the condition it should be. A prime example of an excellent manufacturer.

USFA Rodeo sn G101 that jim also worked on, very nice case colored hammer.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: US pt. FA Restoration, Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:50:37 AM »
Capt,
Thanks for the post!  I would be proud to own any gun that had been restored by Jim Alaimo.  I have dealt with him in the past and he is a true gentleman and a pleasure to do business with.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:17:33 PM »
Beautiful guns, Sir!  I like that you added the US to the carved ivory.   Fitting for the pair.  Surprised that Nutmeg works on them how ever.

Jim did mention that the past head of the USFA line was working for him now.  Glad to see them doing such fine work on the guns.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:39:13 AM »

Offline CptEnglehorn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »
its an amazing piece of work, now it needs a fitted case so it can sit next to my nickel colt.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »
Don't know where you get your cases at but I would strongly suggest www.billscases.com.  I have several that I have purchased from him and have always been more than pleased with each and every one of them.  
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »
You also may want to try Brookfield Case.  I believe Jim did the ivory and Peter Rhodes did all the "mechanical" work and the plating. 

Offline CptEnglehorn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »
The plating job is quite beautiful, I hate even touching the gun bare handed, if I was a better photographer it would show that. the case I have for the colt actually came with it. Bills cases look pretty good, I have brookfields link saved as well.

Offline Frank V

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!

S.W. Montana

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
CptEnglehorn, that's a real beauty! I don't mean to pick nits, but if it was mine, I'd have had a 1st generation straight cone-shaped firing pin installed.....it's what I would've done to add just a touch more 1st Gen authenticity, but if you're satisfied that's all that matters. Again, your SAA is magnificent! jd45

Offline CptEnglehorn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
I didnt think of that at the time, I would have definitely had it done, ill chalk that one up for the next restoration, im just getting into colts and single actions deeper than I was before, still learning the smaller details. It is a darn pretty gun I appreciate the kind comments, I hate touching it sometimes.

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 09:55:08 AM »
CpptEnglehorn, think of it like this.....that gun NEEDS your loving touch! Just a suggestion, jd45

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »
Quote from: CptEnglehorn
It is a darn pretty gun I appreciate the kind comments, I hate touching it sometimes.

It is a fine looking blaster for sure.
But aint no gun THAT purty ;)

Only accurate guns are purty.....

Offline CptEnglehorn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »
beautiful piece, even better lookin target.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:11:41 AM »
 ;D I think you got termites, vicious metal eating termites.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 03:09:01 PM »
Yes indeed and a fine piece it is.  I was thinking of chopping the barrel and just shooting it then I noticed the cut into the barrel threads...termites indeed!  Nasty! :o

Offline CptEnglehorn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 01:03:56 AM »
that piece with all the holes in it needs some ivory. 

Offline RVK

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 11:03:18 AM »
Reply to 'what would you say' on September 30, 2014.
"I have a USPFA that has a few holes that need fix in' before its fired."

I've seen this revolver before, and found it in the USFA catalog (1998, 1999).  The photograph is titled Deliver East Armory.  It was on their website also.  The only difference is that the catalog gun had a hole in the wood grip, but your gun does not.  Otherwise, this must be the same one.  If you don't have a digital copy of that photograph, contact me and I'll send it to you by email.  RVK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com