Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 03:21:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Loading Data for the 50/95WCF 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loading Data for the 50/95WCF  (Read 44699 times)
frimath
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2017, 04:06:38 pm »

You're using a 430 grain bullet?!?!?!?
kwilliams1876
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2017, 05:19:08 pm »

yes sir 430gr.....works fine with the 1-48" twist. plus this ideal mold has the large black powder grease grooves. no leading, lube star on muzzle.
it is not the the express load of the original, but Uberti chose the rifling twist, and the little 300/350 grain pellets never seemed to work for me at 100 yds. a little less powder in case but, really makes no difference in performance.......sounds good going off too!
frimath
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2017, 03:24:42 pm »

Quickie update:

So I took the Presidio Carbine out to the range for fun this weekend. Shot about 10 rounds of the Jamieson 50-95 win commercial loading and it was surprisingly mild. I was hitting the paper a little high, around 6 inches ( maybe even a bit higher) or so at 50 yards. I may have posted previously, that it seems the load they are using is 18-18.2 grains of "Trail Boss" behind a 350 grain lead bullet. I have very limited experience with this powder and was wondering what others here on the board think about the load they used. It seems that the recommended loading for a 45-70 Gov't is about max of 16-16.5 grains. That is recommended for the weak action "Trapdoor" models.

Also, I loaded a few of my own with a 365 grain lead bullet propelled by 41 grain of IMR 4198 . I found this loading has been used to great effect here on the "presidio" thread and decided to reduce the loading used by another cowpoke here just to be a bit conservative. The results were certainly a more "stout" load and recoil. But it shot a little bit lower at 50 yards and certainly closer to the point of aim. What was also interesting is that when I aimed at a piece of a clay "bird" at 100 yards I hit it dead on! Perfect!!! so this load is certainly worth giving some further investigation on. I may even try a heavier bullet.

I am going to pour through these boards in this regard to loading this caliber and then return to Mike Venturino's book on loading for Lever Action Rifles. If I understood how to post photos I'd post my targets for show and tell. But so far I haven't figured out how to post photos just yet. Thanks to all for the postings and help in this forum!
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2017, 05:27:31 pm »

Quickie update:

So I took the Presidio Carbine out to the range for fun this weekend. Shot about 10 rounds of the Jamieson 50-95 win commercial loading and it was surprisingly mild. I was hitting the paper a little high, around 6 inches ( maybe even a bit higher) or so at 50 yards. I may have posted previously, that it seems the load they are using is 18-18.2 grains of "Trail Boss" behind a 350 grain lead bullet. I have very limited experience with this powder and was wondering what others here on the board think about the load they used. It seems that the recommended loading for a 45-70 Gov't is about max of 16-16.5 grains. That is recommended for the weak action "Trapdoor" models.

Also, I loaded a few of my own with a 365 grain lead bullet propelled by 41 grain of IMR 4198 . I found this loading has been used to great effect here on the "presidio" thread and decided to reduce the loading used by another cowpoke here just to be a bit conservative. The results were certainly a more "stout" load and recoil. But it shot a little bit lower at 50 yards and certainly closer to the point of aim. What was also interesting is that when I aimed at a piece of a clay "bird" at 100 yards I hit it dead on! Perfect!!! so this load is certainly worth giving some further investigation on. I may even try a heavier bullet.

I am going to pour through these boards in this regard to loading this caliber and then return to Mike Venturino's book on loading for Lever Action Rifles. If I understood how to post photos I'd post my targets for show and tell. But so far I haven't figured out how to post photos just yet. Thanks to all for the postings and help in this forum!

posting pics is easy - when you are here writing - just go out the left lower corner of the text box and theres a button sez Additional options - hit that - up comes a little bitty menu with Attach : Browse - hit the browse box takes you into your computer to find whatever pic you wanna post - just click it an its done - itll show down below when its right - - at the other end take pic with phone and email to yrself from the phone - that puts it on the puter ........ the kids or grankids would have a way smarter way that tha to do it all but it works
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Loading Data for the 50/95WCF « previous next »
Jump to: