Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2018, 01:31:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Loading Data for the 45/75 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loading Data for the 45/75  (Read 54884 times)
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2018, 04:20:55 am »

Greyhawk , no doubt the 400 gr. and on the lands will increase pressure , my guess is ,  if your rifle is in good condition , should be no problem. I would not hesitate to shoot that load in my original rifles. With this new barreled 76 , I hope to find an accurate load that  will perform out beyond 200 yd. The problem I have encountered with setting the bullet out enough to touch or be very close to the lands , is removing a live round . I'm sure you have discovered this already . Hope to begin testing the re- barreled 45/75 soon .,,,DT
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2018, 07:09:32 am »

Greyhawk , no doubt the 400 gr. and on the lands will increase pressure , my guess is ,  if your rifle is in good condition , should be no problem. I would not hesitate to shoot that load in my original rifles. With this new barreled 76 , I hope to find an accurate load that  will perform out beyond 200 yd. The problem I have encountered with setting the bullet out enough to touch or be very close to the lands , is removing a live round . I'm sure you have discovered this already . Hope to begin testing the re- barreled 45/75 soon .,,,DT

Yep ! still half the boolit in the chamber when shes open - I made a little brass chisel tihingy so I can kinda lift the extractor over the rim - dont like doin it though - otherwise - once you chamber one of those long ones ya kinda committed to pullin the trigger. Rifle is a new Uberti so should be no problems with pressure. Gonna shoot in the morning if the wind is down - 200yards I think - want to be sure there no tumbles happening - sights are a bit dodgy really but can deal with that if needed. If groups are ok will continue the trial    . 
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2018, 09:25:35 am »

Greyhawk, I'd like to request video for this experiment.

Next gun show I go to I'm going to be looking for some Holy Black. Just got some unlubed 330 FN from Penn Bullets. I have a Lyman lubing/sizing press I bought many years ago for SPGing 44-40 bullets, haven't used it in years. Got to get a .459 lubeing die for it.
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2018, 07:07:38 pm »

Next gun show I go to I'm going to be looking for some Holy Black. Just got some unlubed 330 FN from Penn Bullets. I have a Lyman lubing/sizing press I bought many years ago for SPGing 44-40 bullets, haven't used it in years. Got to get a .459 lubeing die for it.

ok guys - nothing to write home about here - only shot this at 100yards
excuses first 1) was a bit slow getting to this and a bit of tricky crosswind came up - down ----
2) I struggle these days with vertical sight alignment - memory dont help - I walked up to the target between pairs of shots - can see that on the left hand target

I shot on each target alternately - pointy boolit on the left one and flatnose on the right one
Load for both was 69 grains of homebrew powder, droptubed, milk carton wad, compression die, boolit seated to depth but not crimped - pics of loaded rounds are above in previous posts - pointy boolit is a whisker off the lands - flatnose is touching .
flatnose boolit target group is unimpressive 4 shots two inches deep and four or better side to side with the fifth up another three inches - can pretty much do that with that boolit loaded normally - did I weigh check those boolits - no ---- 407 grains but the handful I checked now had a few 5 to 6 grains lighter .
Pointy boolit target has posibilities I think - doesnt measure any better but I bet with a tunnel front sight and a circle insert I could put those two groups on top of each other and the side to side is half wind half my eyes - I think that needs further attention. Nothing went sideways ! so thats a positive

As far as the mechanicals go - no big deal loading - I cock the hammer properly before I open the bolt cuz you short stroking it a little to load - do not want the hammer following the bolt home as ya close it - before going out to shoot I checked the ammo by chambering - just leave the lifter down - bolt open - put em in by hand - push it home wid yr thumb - use a ramrod down the tube to push it back out - gently - dont wanna push the rim under the extractor else ya gotta extricate that - once ya close the bolt - shoot it!! The load and fire part was easier than I thought would be. I need to get a decent tunnel front sight with a set of inserts before I can figure this out any further.   pics below   

* 45-75 morning shoot.jpeg (64.91 KB, 769x402 - viewed 42 times.)

* 45-75 pointy boolit.jpeg (17.56 KB, 442x415 - viewed 36 times.)

* 45-75 flat point.jpeg (20.82 KB, 466x380 - viewed 34 times.)
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2018, 09:12:39 am »

Good report Greyhawk , with your loading ability and a target style sight , I would bet you tighten that group a bunch . Do you fellows lighten your trigger pull. On a couple of my 76 rifles I install  a very light trigger return spring and tune the mainspring as light as possible . Makes trigger control much better . May not make much difference , but one thing I  do when shooting long range or ( best  accuracy)  may be a better term . When the rifle is in battery and just before I get on the trigger I slide the firing pin forward against the primer with my thumb about 3/16" , in other words take the slack out of the firing pin system . I also pay close attention to the firing pin retractor   fit  and firing pin & bolt fit .  This may be just a mental thing with me but its part of my mental checks before the shot  , I feel it helps . My Extra Heavy 76 is in the white and will be tested before taking back down for metal finish . The wood has its first few coats of linseed oil and Winchester red stain mix. A side note making the fore arm for the Extra Heavy barrel 76 was one of the hardest wood working jobs I have undertaken , I spent hrs. on it  That thing is thin , it's not a wonder the old one was so damaged , the but stock was old hat . Look forward to testing and contributing my results with this one .,,,,,DT
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2018, 05:56:33 pm »

Good report Greyhawk , with your loading ability and a target style sight , I would bet you tighten that group a bunch . Do you fellows lighten your trigger pull. On a couple of my 76 rifles I install  a very light trigger return spring and tune the mainspring as light as possible . Makes trigger control much better . May not make much difference , but one thing I  do when shooting long range or ( best  accuracy)  may be a better term . When the rifle is in battery and just before I get on the trigger I slide the firing pin forward against the primer with my thumb about 3/16" , in other words take the slack out of the firing pin system . I also pay close attention to the firing pin retractor   fit  and firing pin & bolt fit .  This may be just a mental thing with me but its part of my mental checks before the shot  , I feel it helps . My Extra Heavy 76 is in the white and will be tested before taking back down for metal finish . The wood has its first few coats of linseed oil and Winchester red stain mix. A side note making the fore arm for the Extra Heavy barrel 76 was one of the hardest wood working jobs I have undertaken , I spent hrs. on it  That thing is thin , it's not a wonder the old one was so damaged , the but stock was old hat . Look forward to testing and contributing my results with this one .,,,,,DT

Dusty
Thanks for the tips - yeah I lightened the trigger off - took the lever safety latch/ trigger spring out entirely - and slacked off the mainspring tension screw underneath - had it nice too but then the mainspring worked its way out of the retaining notch at the back - I have worked on that but in the meantime put a bit more tension on the spring and trigger pull was a bit heavy for my liking yesterday. My 76 is a Uberti repro and firing pin is some kind of lawyer inspired rebounding affair so no slack there at all before the hammer drops -
How do you make those forends - that is a PITA by hand - have made a couple for 92's - yup one for a heavy barrel - wood is about a sixteenth alongside the barrel - my problem has always been getting the hole for the magazine tube done - I tried different ways of boring this - always ended up with it tight one end - sloppy the other end -
 I finally got the gear for that - you have a mill - I ordered a couple of tungsten carbide ball cutters off Ebay and also a 45 degree cutter - have only had a practice run so far - run a straight mill cutter down first - go about half depth of the magazine tube - use a mill cutter the width of the barrel flat - then the ballcutter for the magazine tube - complete the hole for the tube - make sure the tube fits ok while you are setup - then finish the barrel recess using the 45 degree cutter - need to fiddle the setup so you are cutting the same taper as on the barrel - but I would cut it straigtht (parrallel) first then just ease the taper in.
The cutters didnt cost much at all - they just router bits and you would get them locally (Menards or Wherever Huh) but spendy that way - Ebay /China is cheap for stuff like this .   

dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2018, 04:15:36 pm »

Glad your going to give BP. a try in your 76  KM . Half the fun is all the shooting  you get to do working up a load that shoots well . Good Luck with your quest .,,,,DT
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2018, 04:21:04 pm »

ok guys - nothing to write home about here - only shot this at 100yards
excuses first 1) was a bit slow getting to this and a bit of tricky crosswind came up - down ----
2) I struggle these days with vertical sight alignment - memory dont help - I walked up to the target between pairs of shots - can see that on the left hand target

I shot on each target alternately - pointy boolit on the left one and flatnose on the right one
Load for both was 69 grains of homebrew powder, droptubed, milk carton wad, compression die, boolit seated to depth but not crimped - pics of loaded rounds are above in previous posts - pointy boolit is a whisker off the lands - flatnose is touching .
flatnose boolit target group is unimpressive 4 shots two inches deep and four or better side to side with the fifth up another three inches - can pretty much do that with that boolit loaded normally - did I weigh check those boolits - no ---- 407 grains but the handful I checked now had a few 5 to 6 grains lighter .                                                                                                                                                                                                       Have you tried any more test loads GreyHawk ? If I read your post right , the bullet close to the lands was no more accurate than a Std, OAL . cartridge ? ,,,,DT
Pointy boolit target has posibilities I think - doesnt measure any better but I bet with a tunnel front sight and a circle insert I could put those two groups on top of each other and the side to side is half wind half my eyes - I think that needs further attention. Nothing went sideways ! so thats a positive

As far as the mechanicals go - no big deal loading - I cock the hammer properly before I open the bolt cuz you short stroking it a little to load - do not want the hammer following the bolt home as ya close it - before going out to shoot I checked the ammo by chambering - just leave the lifter down - bolt open - put em in by hand - push it home wid yr thumb - use a ramrod down the tube to push it back out - gently - dont wanna push the rim under the extractor else ya gotta extricate that - once ya close the bolt - shoot it!! The load and fire part was easier than I thought would be. I need to get a decent tunnel front sight with a set of inserts before I can figure this out any further.   pics below   

dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »

Somehow I got my post right in the middle of yours .,,,,DT
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2018, 06:22:25 pm »

Somehow I got my post right in the middle of yours .,,,,DT

Hey Dusty =that was a neat trick - the kind of thing I do - fat thumbs they call it - have a friend calls me on his cell phone regular and halfway through I lose him - I blamed the phone company for the dropouts - he says no mate I switch it off with me ear .

Anyway - the 76 - I have a Lyman front sight on the way - should be here next week - I think I will hold off until I get that - I was kind of reading between the lines on my shooting tother day - I have an ongoing problem nowadays with vertical sight alignment - my serious open sight rifles have flat top front sights an eigth inch wider or better and big square backsight notches to suit - the front on the 76 is just the Uberti issue (winchester copy) and I dont see it well enough to get proper vertical to really try it out .
Neither group was anything special but the pointy nose boolit had two lines of shots that just looked promising so I think i will go ahead with that for a start . Other target was the 405 grain LEE modified flatpoint (one of two variations that I normally shoot) on a good day I can get a two inch group at 50 yards with that loaded normally and thats about what we got on the hundred yard test - those were actually touching the lands so if I try that again I will seat them a little deeper (just off).
Analysing targets I always am encouraged by pairs of holes -- I reckon thats when you had alignment spot on - that says to me this barrel can shoot - you just cant see good enough or hold consistently enough to get it out.
So -- some time loading and another try next week after that front sight turns up - when I fit that I will also take the buttstock off and do a bit more work on the trigger / mainspring to lighten that a bit more.     
Looking forward to your report too.
cheers
Greyhawk
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2018, 04:01:37 pm »

Agree 100% about seeing two shots in one hole , it tells me that is where the load is printing and that the load  can be very accurate if I do my part , and my loading is consistent . Or I just missed in the same place twice , possible but not likley .  For this new barrel , I cast a new batch from a proven old mould @ 16/1 , they came out just a tad over .458 " and 352 gr.  I broke out a new batch of Jamison 50 cases trimmed them to 1.89" my lube wax/tallow mix will use Winchester primers , and start with about 70/71 gr. 2ff Swiss and 2ff Schuetzen , and some 3ff Goex . Next wk . I'll be at my range and can set up my reloading stuff at the bench , load test different loads this way I can eliminate loads that do not look promising  , and only test further the ones that look good . Hope to get a good tight group  load at the 100 yd.bank and then start moving out farther . Will  post results ASAP. ,,,,,DT
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2018, 04:40:08 pm »

With our talk of shooting for accuracy and distance , this add from I think 1878 ? is a Long Range load  45/90/450 PP cartridge designed for the 1876 Winchester . Would be a problem removing one if not fired after being chambered . The cartridge is rare to say the least , I know of one collector that has one or two . Thought Y'all may like this . Pardon the bad pic. ,,,DT

* 4590450LongRange.jpg (93.44 KB, 523x392 - viewed 60 times.)
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2018, 11:59:14 pm »

With our talk of shooting for accuracy and distance , this add from I think 1878 ? is a Long Range load  45/90/450 PP cartridge designed for the 1876 Winchester . Would be a problem removing one if not fired after being chambered . The cartridge is rare to say the least , I know of one collector that has one or two . Thought Y'all may like this . Pardon the bad pic. ,,,DT

Dusty
- thanks for posting the pic of the long range load - gurus been tellin us for a hundred years+ the 76 was not strong enough to stand heavy loads - your picture kinda ruins all that! .... I dunno how they got 90 grains of powder in that case tho.

Burnt me some powder this morning in the 45/75 - had to fit the front sight I got yesterday - and did a little better with it I think - trigger is still way too heavy - all shot at 100yards still (my marbles sight is gonna run outa threads at about 200 I  think)  
So shooting my homemade powder here - loads were put together carefully - powder weighed , drop tubed, boolits weighed .
1) 390 grain Pointy boolit + 69 grains + juice box wad - one grease groove out of the case just off the lands
2) 405 grain FP boolit + 62 grains + wad - 2 grease grooves out of the case almost touching the lands
3) 405 grain FP + 65 grains + wad - 2 grease grooves out of the case almost touching the lands
4) Normal hunting load - 405 grain boolit 60 grains powder NO WAD - loaded in the case for magazine feed
The pointy boolit - I am lathe turning the base off of a 459-500-3R lee
If it tests enough better will go ahead and wreck a mold
Next up I need to test the normal load with an overpowder wad so I can yay or nay that one for target
No 1) ---- I shot one foul shot then fiddled round a bit getting organised - then let the four shots go - one two three up the target is typical for a cold magazine rifle - I followed straight on with the next series of five 2) for a decent group (for me!) then had a break while I changed targets etc - sure enough that third target has the same one two three up as she warmed up. This gonna take some time.
Using 348 brass here - with a 458 boolit I have about ZERO neck clearance in the chamber - have never neck reamed cases but may have to look at that ?      
 ps no clean between shots here - one long slow with the blow tube - 21 shots fired
Extreme on the no 2 was 2&1/4 inches - two nice pairs on that one !

Any suggestions to advance the cause will be taken seriously  Wink

* first series.jpeg (30.09 KB, 596x395 - viewed 43 times.)

* second series.jpeg (27.73 KB, 457x480 - viewed 39 times.)

* third series.jpeg (49.69 KB, 800x480 - viewed 44 times.)

* fourth series.jpeg (37.3 KB, 542x480 - viewed 42 times.)
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2018, 05:45:15 am »

Dusty and all
Thought you might enjoy this
I fired 21 this morning with just the blow tube
Cleaned betsy this afternoon
I used about a cup and half of cold water with a sniff of detergent in it - hard to believe how easy this has got - I use a drink bottle with a plastic tube -
1)pour a little water down from the breech end
2) three or four strokes with a wet patch
3) little more water
4) three or four strokes with a clean damp patch
5) little more water
6) dry patch a couple of swipes
The picture below is of these three patches in sequence
Then a couple more dry patches and an oily patch to preserve it - the whole thing takes just a couple of minutes - I leave the gear setup in my machine shed on a trolley and it includes a cleaning cradle so the gun can rest upside down for the patching. Have a look at those patches though - amazing what can happen with cleanburning black powder and sufficient lube. 

Also had a short casting session - 50 from the newer LEE 459-500-3R - these weighed out really good -- 36 right on the money at 490 grains , 5 at +1 , 8 at -1, 1 at - 2 pretty darn good for a twenty five dollar mold!!!

* cleaning patches.jpeg (52.48 KB, 800x480 - viewed 40 times.)
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2018, 05:57:58 am »

Very good report ,  Greyhawk that's some real good shooting . It appears the rifle likes the 405 bullet . Are you going to continue testing all loads , or focus on one ? What load did you think was best ? Your powder is working very good / cant get better than shooting your own powder . Sure looks like it burns clean .  ,,,,,DT
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2018, 07:41:43 am »

Very good report ,  Greyhawk that's some real good shooting . It appears the rifle likes the 405 bullet . Are you going to continue testing all loads , or focus on one ? What load did you think was best ? Your powder is working very good / cant get better than shooting your own powder . Sure looks like it burns clean .  ,,,,,DT

Dusty
I think I will try the pointy boolit a couple more times - I believe I wasted that group this morning warming the barrel up - and if that one does shoot it should range out better - when I first used the 500 grain version in my sharps I took a full hundred yards off my sight setting over the previous same weight boolit - have just ordered a longer staff for my marbles tang sight so I can at least try this out to 500yards - so the pointy boolit again and also concentrate on the 405 grain - maybe cut the load a bit - the 62 grain load was a touch better than the 65 grain this morning - so I try 62 grain and 60 grain next - been thinking a bit less compression - and I will be using a wad under all these - need to try a wad on the hunting boolit load too - could be a bit problematic - when you seat that 405 grain full in the case the bottom lube groove is still in the neck but the base of the boolit actually protrudes into the shoulder space just a little bit.
All interesting ..........
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2018, 08:56:29 am »

I would try the pointy bullet more also . Speaking of the pointy bullet , I have a Lee mould like that bullet , it cast a good bullet . I shoot it in my Sharps also , and it does very good . May get another mould like it and cut it down like you did . Would like trying it in my Heavy Barrel gun.  I can see your point about the hunting load  with a wad below the neck . Does the 405 hunting bullet need the wad for accuracy? Wind howling here today bad , cold front came through last night dropped temp about 30* from yesterdays temps, nice and cool today but windy ! May get out to the ranch for some shooting this wk. eager to try out the Heavy barrel gun . ,,,DT
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2018, 10:52:46 pm »

I would try the pointy bullet more also . Speaking of the pointy bullet , I have a Lee mould like that bullet , it cast a good bullet . I shoot it in my Sharps also , and it does very good . May get another mould like it and cut it down like you did . Would like trying it in my Heavy Barrel gun.  I can see your point about the hunting load  with a wad below the neck . Does the 405 hunting bullet need the wad for accuracy? Wind howling here today bad , cold front came through last night dropped temp about 30* from yesterdays temps, nice and cool today but windy ! May get out to the ranch for some shooting this wk. eager to try out the Heavy barrel gun . ,,,DT

Dusty
I havent cut that mold down yet - been lathe turning the few boolits down for testing - this morning I loaded five full size (490grain) over 60 grains of powder and a wad - the Uberti is 1:20 twist - maybe it shoots them ok ? only one way to find out - been too windy to shoot today tho ---- I figured if 450 grain slug over 90 grains of powder was safe in an original - the only thing I will hurt will be my shoulder with this load.
So next test I have the full size pointy boolit, the 405 grain hunting load with a wad, and also my 330 grain boolit with a wad, all with 60 grains of powder - will make sure I shoot three or four to warm the barrel first - take care of that vertical dispersion I got. 
I have a 500 yard match coming up at Easter but I wont have this 76 sorted good enough so will have to get to work with the sharps soon - sure wished I didnt bruise that shoulder the other day - that was a bit careless ! I reckon I will get a shot this evening or tomorrow morning early - will post as soon as I do .     
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2018, 08:32:34 am »

I got a bit confused , I thought you had cut that mould down. Anxious  to see how the 490 gr. full length  bullet shoots . May try that load myself . Have you shot an animal with either hunting load ? My own experience with the 45/75 and 350gr. around 71gr. 2ff Swiss has been very good , on deer and wild boar . The older I get the longer it takes for bruises to go away ! Wish you the best at the 500 yd . match . ,,,DT
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2018, 05:45:47 pm »

I got a bit confused , I thought you had cut that mould down. Anxious  to see how the 490 gr. full length  bullet shoots . May try that load myself . Have you shot an animal with either hunting load ? My own experience with the 45/75 and 350gr. around 71gr. 2ff Swiss has been very good , on deer and wild boar . The older I get the longer it takes for bruises to go away ! Wish you the best at the 500 yd . match . ,,,DT

Mr Dusty ------- I think we stumbled onto something here - I would never have tried this - except you posted that pic of the winchester long range load
So..... Still windy this morning - reasonably steady across the range at 15 to 20 mph (maybe ? a good stiff breeze anyway with occasional gusts in it ) I shot over the roof of the car this morning - lets me get that crescent but out off my collar bone and I like the position)
Common to all targets so far is that 2 to 3 minute of angle elevation as the barrel warms - the better I get things sorted the more that one sticks out .

The LEE pointy boolit (this was the full size 459-500-3R) was loaded with the front lube groove and about half the first driving band out of the case - my cases are cut a tad short - chambers will vary some - this is just a touch off the lands. Only loaded five of these - the first one was almost off the bottom of the target - I wound the sights up and shot the other four for group - cold barrel got me again but that shot landed smack in the ten ring about half an inch above the X - next three made a real nice group (for me!)

The 405 grain this morning was loaded correct length for magazine function which puts the wad down out of the neck - and I dont believe that wad did anything (in that load)

The 330 Grain - again loaded correct for magazine function with a juice box wad over the powder - maybe a little improvement over no wad ? Shot ok for a hunting load  

Have a comment on magazine construction but will post that separately

Have to say I got a bit excited about the potential of that LEE 500 grainer (mine are going a little under = 490 +/- 3)      

* 405 grain FP (Hunting load with wad).jpeg (26.5 KB, 481x440 - viewed 40 times.)

* 330grain FP (Hunting load with wad).jpeg (27.51 KB, 522x411 - viewed 37 times.)

* LEE 459-500-3R.jpeg (28.04 KB, 444x493 - viewed 38 times.)
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2018, 07:29:10 am »

Good news about the pointy bullet , that bullet/load looks like it has more to give .  I have about 30 of the 459-500-3R cast now with wheel weights they drop .459 @ 486 gr.  will add them to the list for testing . Will load one  today in order to get a bullet seating depth to start with ,and an idea of the powder amount needed .  How did the Pointy- 3R  load feel compared to the hunting loads ?  Thank You for sharing your test results .,,,,,,DT
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2018, 09:10:03 am »

Good news about the pointy bullet , that bullet/load looks like it has more to give .  I have about 30 of the 459-500-3R cast now with wheel weights they drop .459 @ 486 gr.  will add them to the list for testing . Will load one  today in order to get a bullet seating depth to start with ,and an idea of the powder amount needed .  How did the Pointy- 3R  load feel compared to the hunting loads ?  Thank You for sharing your test results .,,,,,,DT

Sounds like we have the same mold!
From here I am gonna just go with that full size 3R boolit - I could maybe get a few grains more powder in but think I have been compressing that homebrew too much. Recoil ? really didnt notice much different from the 405 grain hunting load (same powder charge) but a noticeable reduction for the 330 grain boolit (thats a bit weird really!) - still windy here - might run a few over the chrono tomorrow. Ordered taller staff for my marbles tang sight but its coming from your country so just have to wait for that - the one I have will run out maybe 300 yards. Glad you appreciate the info - I have picked up a lot from these forums - good to be able to contribute a little .
cheers
Greyhawk     
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2018, 09:41:55 am »

Not to change your subject, but I found a can of Goex FF BP in the back of the powder shelf. Got to be at least 10 years old. Not alot, but enuff to make a dozen or so rounds. My lube/sizer die will be here today, so I can make up a few rounds. What is the shelf life for BP?
dusty texian
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2018, 11:54:13 am »

Must be a long time if kept dry , I have some can's of Goex from the 1970's that I still shoot . Looks like its OK .,,,,DT
kwilliams1876
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2018, 03:31:28 pm »

i frequently shoot old dupont that is from my dads old stash.....1973 vintage or so. it works fine and is accurate.
kw
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Loading Data for the 45/75 « previous next »
Jump to: