Author Topic: Holster & Belt for newbie  (Read 4594 times)

Offline slkslk

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Holster & Belt for newbie
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:20 AM »
I have just purchased a new Cimarron Model P prewar, and I need a holster and belt now. Since I only have the one revolver at the present, what would be a good starter rig begin with that will not break the bank. Were period holsters attached to the belts, or did they slide along a separate belt, so they could be positioned anywhere along the belt?

Also being new to the sport, Is there a class where you only have to have one revolver or are two the norm/required????

Thanks Much

Steve

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Holster & Belt for newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:10:40 AM »
If you're shooting SASS, all the official categories use 2 handguns, although local clubs may offer one gun classes if they want to. Most likely, folks would practically line up to loan you another one.

NCOW has categories for one pistol, one rifle.

If you want to be more historically accurate, Buscadero type rigs, where the holster fits in a dropped slot in the belt were either rare or non-existant. Most common type would slide anywhere on the belt.

If you have any clubs nearby, go and check out the options. Also, lot of clubs have a buy/sell/swap table at their monthly matches, where you might get some good deals on leather gear.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
As was posted by Pony Express, for SASS matches you will need two pistols. Mostly all holsters and belts of the last half of the 19th Century were separate holsters that simply slid onto a belt or one kind or another. The drop-loop buscadero rigs where the holster extend through a slot in the belt were, almost exclusively a product of Hollywood, though there may be a very few exceptions. Holsters with some semblance of authenticity were, for the most part either Slim Jim (California) style, or some variant of the Mexican loop holster. For ideas on these holsters, the best reference is the book, "Packing Iron". There are also a number of holster and belt manufacturers can be Googled on line.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:18:07 PM »

Offline slkslk

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »
One quick question about the holster....When getting one should the revolver slide right into it with ease from the get go. Reason for asking I bought a shoulder holster a while back for a concealed carry walther ppk, that was suppose to be specifically for that pistol, and man alive was it tight. I really had to stretch that one out some. Should a person bring the revolver around when looking, and make sure it slides into it with ease???

Thanks
Steve

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
Yes it should slip in and out easily, you don't want to tug or have to use your off hand to hold the holster down..
that said, it should also be deep enough to house the revolver...so when you move it won't fall out..
That is a big bad DQ.

I'd suggest you view the leather forum here, there are several makers with great talent posting there.
  Cliff Findley comes to mind... Ray Hanchett aka " Bluesman " , Homer Brown , David Carrico ,
Tommy Tornado, Marshal Will Wingam are some others...

I can't list them   all :( but the talent there is TOP Drawer...

If you want it to look like it was there, used , and back...the real deal ... Chuck Burrows

If your look for more of a competition rig ..maybe Red Cent

and if it unique or exotic look at.. Kid Tarico
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
One quick question about the holster....When getting one should the revolver slide right into it with ease from the get go. Reason for asking I bought a shoulder holster a while back for a concealed carry walther ppk, that was suppose to be specifically for that pistol, and man alive was it tight. I really had to stretch that one out some. Should a person bring the revolver around when looking, and make sure it slides into it with ease???

Thanks
Steve
Most holster manufacturers make their's a bit snug. That is so the individual customer can self-customize the fit to his/her own preference.  Leather holsters can be wet-fit quite easily by wetting the leather inside and out (about 15 sec to 1 minute of exposure to tepid water is sufficient), the gun placed in a plastic baggie that is wrapped tightly around the gun, and inserted into the holster for about 4 hours. The amount of skin-tight forming is up to the customer. One should be sure to create a channel for ejector thumbpiece, sights, etc. This can be done using hardwood dowels with the end sanded smooth. I use 1/2", 3/4" 1" and occasionally something a bit larger.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline slkslk

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 08:01:57 AM »
I see that some holsters are advertised as being lined. Any benefit to those? Are they less abrasive on the bluing?

Steve

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
A holster lined with smooth leather is less likely to catch and hold sand and grit.  Have no clue as to the relative wear on finish one would get from clean smooth leather lined and a clean no grit non-lined holster but in AZ there is no such thing as a clean no grit unlined holster after the fist windy day
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com