Author Topic: Who was at the World War 1 reenactment last weekend?  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Who was at the World War 1 reenactment last weekend?
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:50:48 PM »
Steff Baker from Prairie Flower Leather Company said he ran into someone at the reenactment that shoots with us.  Just wondering who it was!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: Who was at the World War 1 reenactment last weekend?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:43:50 PM »
Maj. G. W. Strong, I bet.

He has quite a few pics from the event, and vids, posted on Facebook.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 05:07:52 AM »
I suspected it might be him, as well.  Sounds like they all had fun!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:33:23 AM »

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
Ich war!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »
at last, a picture from Grenadier!

Was this the one in Parsons KS? I've read about it. Might someday try to attend, but probably not as a Frenchman, I know who the authenticity officer for the French outfit is, and I can't afford to meet his standards...I can't afford Schipperfabrik, and he doesn't consider them good enough...

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:12:17 AM »
Nein! This was at the Great War Assoc home site in Newville PA.

WW1 is an expensive hobby. If you are interested, I would first suggest that you source your kit and equipment used.  Second, set a goal for yourself and then buy pieces as you can afford it.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
at last, a picture from Grenadier!

Was this the one in Parsons KS? I've read about it. Might someday try to attend, but probably not as a Frenchman, I know who the authenticity officer for the French outfit is, and I can't afford to meet his standards...I can't afford Schipperfabrik, and he doesn't consider them good enough...
[/quote
Ah, the dreaded stitch Nazi syndrome!  The General Miles Marching and Chowder Society died from that malady!  I'm all for authenticity, but it gets to be no fun fast when no one can play because of the cost.  As an aside, one thing I've noticed about some of the worst stitch counters is that they'll have a museum quality uniform and equipment, but they look totally wrong because of the extra seventy five to a hundred pounds.  They're also usually WAY too clean and "new" looking.  Just my opinion!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »
One thing about it, the particular stitch counter in question doesn't have the problem of any extra weight, he looks pretty much the part.

As for WW1 re-enacting, probably not gonna happen any time soon for me, one or two GAF events a year seems to about max out my time and money available for playing shooting games. Might go if they have an event open to the public, but probably not to participate.

And to Grenadier: you should bring that outfit and come out to the Grand Muster, I'm sure that ReichsRevolver would like to come out and play there with the variety of other 19th century stuff that will be there.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
I don't doubt he fits the part, but we've all seen the 350 pound paratrooper or cavalryman!  I remember seeing a French militaria magazine once that featured World War 2 U.S. Marines.  The uniform and gear was perfect, but the guy wearing it just looked...."French"!  The look just didn't work.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
I do know of a couple of guys like that, they set up a table at the local gun shows, one time they set up a WWII display, they have a lot of cool stuff, including a fully equipped Jeep, but both of them probably weigh close to 300lb.....

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Ah, the dreaded stitch Nazi syndrome!  The General Miles Marching and Chowder Society died from that malady!  I'm all for authenticity, but it gets to be no fun fast when no one can play because of the cost.  As an aside, one thing I've noticed about some of the worst stitch counters is that they'll have a museum quality uniform and equipment, but they look totally wrong because of the extra seventy five to a hundred pounds.  They're also usually WAY too clean and "new" looking.  Just my opinion!

The sad reality is many try to use the term "authenticity" as a large hammer in two different directions. Without some form of set rules, we would have people showing up sporting all kinds of oddball kit. For instance, I remember one event where a participant was allowed to attend a WWII event. He was wearing modern hiking boots, tan Dickies trousers/tan Dickies workshirt, two M1 Garand cartridge belts attached to each other, so they would wrap around his girth, a Vietnam era M1 steel pot and carrying an original M1 Thompson. This was  not an attempt, it was a mockery of the men who originally wore the uniform. 

While there are bad apples in every activity, they come in all forms and have their own opinions.  There are extreme opinions on both sides of the coin.My suggestion is to find a group and see if your goals are similar to theirs. Most groups are more than willing to loan and help a person genuinely interested. I have been doing this for years and I have yet to meet a group that would not do their best to help.

As for the weight issue, that's largely due to the fact that this is a middle aged male activity, young guys can rarely fork out the money required for an expensive hobby.

And to Grenadier: you should bring that outfit and come out to the Grand Muster, I'm sure that ReichsRevolver would like to come out and play there with the variety of other 19th century stuff that will be there.

I'd love to, but my schedule is largely booked for the rest of the year. I have too many hobbies with too little time for them.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
It was me. I had a very enjoyable conversation with Steff Baker
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
It was me. I had a very enjoyable conversation with Steff Baker

By the way I was at the Rockford WWI reenactment rather than the Newville one. They were on the same day.

If anyone is on facebook and wants to see pics there are lots of them at the "Rockford WWI Days Re-enactment" facebook group
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
Think the closest I will come to the WWI stuff is the 03 springfield that I am having assembled from parts with a new DCM barrel and DCM finger groove stock
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com