Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 12:31:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Your ivory handled pistols and knives may soon be illegal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your ivory handled pistols and knives may soon be illegal  (Read 14016 times)
bowiemaker
Maker of sharp pointy things
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 10:06:13 am »

Here is an update on the ivory ban : http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/arts/design/new-limits-on-ivory-sales-set-off-wide-concerns.html?_r=0

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

May your moccasins walk the way of peace

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 10:17:03 am »

Time to do some checkin on the ole boy that wrote this up!

May your lodges hold much tatanka~
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 06:39:31 pm »

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a congressman - but, I repeat myself ...."   Mark Twain

'Grandfathering' of some ivory and not all is delayed confiscation. We have the same thing here with regard to pistols with 4" or less barrels. They went from 'restricted' to 'prohibited', "grandfathered" to current owners.

It is said that people get the government, army and police they deserve, but what did we do to bring this on ourselves? The moment this sort of crap came down, we should have put their feet to the fire.

Shotgun,

Perhaps even more so when laws are enacted that can't be enforced? Just a thought?
Especially when "we" keep elect officials into office that pass such unenforceable laws.
This was my reason for my original posting on this subject.
My best,
 Blair

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
bowiemaker
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 06:54:39 pm »

This one was rushed through very quietly. If only the government could act so quickly on important issues instead of fixing problems that don't exist. This was pushed through by the US Fish & Wildlife Service even though their own report from September 2012 stated "we do not believe that there is a significant illegal ivory trade into this country.”

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 08:38:57 pm »

So stop all those so called scientists from digging up mammoth ivory in the frozen tundras,take away thier funding!

bowiemaker
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 08:42:05 pm »

So what is the problem with digging up mammoth ivory. No animals are being harmed.

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 08:59:41 pm »

Not a thing~ Wink Tick them off and they will scream louder and get the thing thrown out~ Smiley Some politician has a buddy that makes good fuax ivory probably,that attorny needs to be run out of town!!!

GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 09:12:51 pm »

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

bowiemaker
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 10:49:20 pm »

I did write to my "representative", senators and to Mr. Cade London, Special Assistant, USFWS International Affairs, twice. Here is the shocking surprise. I never got a response from anyone. Not even a BS form letter.

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612
Hill Beachy
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 12:45:18 am »

Shotgun,

Perhaps even more so when laws are enacted that can't be enforced? Just a thought?
Especially when "we" keep elect officials into office that pass such unenforceable laws.
This was my reason for my original posting on this subject.
My best,
 Blair

Actually, this is not a law, nor is it a bill.  As Bowiemaker has consistently stated throughout this thread, it is a proposed rule.  No vote was required, no legislation was passed and signed into law.  Remember that whole "we can't wait for Congress to act" thing?  And "I have a phone and a pen"?  Well this is the result of those methods. 

"But you know you can still smell the roses,
When you're running with them in your hand..."  -- Slim Dusty
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 10:30:45 am »

It's called "rule by fiat", the stuff of autocracies.

Better watch it or we'll get our pee-pees slapped for being too "political" .... :>)

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 10:31:04 am »

Then we do not have to comply,they can hack his phone and change it! A president can not make a law~And with all that is going on he actually takes time to mess with something that was working fine??? As far as i am concerned he is in the District of Columbia and any of them can take a hike! What about the attorny that wrote it..I'm sending the next letter to Puttin,maybe he will do something!!

GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 10:32:23 am »

It's called "rule by fiat", the stuff of autocracies.

Better watch it or we'll get our pee-pees slapped for being too "political" .... :>)

I can take it,i got it whacked when i was a baby in training  Grin BALIF!!!!

GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 10:38:21 am »

I did write to my "representative", senators and to Mr. Cade London, Special Assistant, USFWS International Affairs, twice. Here is the shocking surprise. I never got a response from anyone. Not even a BS form letter.

Bowie,i call mine he lives in my town,he has a great gal that works for him,but he is so busy with this government water shut down out here it has all his attention.She told me to call about anything anytime,it all started when they were forcing us to buy flood ins. for the hundred year flood if you had a morgage,now it's drought Angry Angry Angry Angry It has been a constant attack since that dude been in office!

Hargrave
" Prairie Smoke" Jake
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 10:52:33 am »

Ok,

I have been thinking of this for a few days now, and it just is not getting any easier to swallow. I don't even know what to say.

I look at our society and see a nation, not ruled by laws, but instead ruled by "regulation". We, the citizenry no longer have a say in our government, but instead are at the whim of whatever bureaucrat decides their ideas are right and we must all live with them.

There are several people complaining about "income inequality" but what is not discussed is "power inequality". We live in a nation where one person can decide how we live our lives. That sounds much more like a monarchy than a constitutional republic. Did we do this to ourselves?

The better question is ... what do we do about it? There are so many battles to fight on so many fronts with this form of government, that it is becoming impossible to defend ourselves from the raging culture war that I don't even know what to do. I have written local officials (live in Illinois so that is pretty useless). I am thinking of moving my company and the business I manage out of the state of Illinois to somewhere else and am looking at that now, but as for the nation I was born to, aside from the power of my vote, it is getting hard to win this defensive battle for the soul of the American people.

I want to fight, but with so many battles, it is hard to not get hit when being fired upon from all sides.

"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 11:08:42 am »

They are goin to have to put down the phones!Great point! Send that to Hannity Power Inequality,let him run with it.

Blair
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 12:37:49 pm »

Just wondering who "They" are?
Who will be given the authority to oversee the enforcement of this "regulation"?
How will, whomever "They" are, be financing the enforcement of this regulation? Will it be through confiscation and resale?
Or, will this come out of the Government Officials salary that proposed the "regulation"?
No! It won't come out of the "NO Load Officials" salary. It will come from the tax payers. You know those tax payers that buy and sell Ivory objects!
Oh, but wait a moment they can't buy, sell, or trade Ivory any longer. No more taxes from that source!

Very well thought out "Regulation"!

Just as a side note here...how would anybody know if I have any Ivory of any type or age?
My best,
Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21
bowiemaker
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 12:43:30 pm »

They are US Fish & Wildlife Service. They have confiscated knives from knife shows. At the start of this campaign they made a big show of crushing 6 tons of ivory they had confiscated with a bulldozer.

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 01:21:40 pm »

Crush it,mix with resin,resale it..

I made a native pipe from a badger skull once,had it in a friends southwest store for sale,her competition next door saw it and called the Fish and Game i happenned to go by there to get it for a yardsale and later the F&G came by to confiscate it,something about disease,now i found the badger on the side of the road in summer heat of about a 105 and it had layed out there at least the summer before and was all dryed and sun bleached and i cleaned it further,he told her that he could have fined her 2,500.00 and closed her up.....

Paladin UK
UK`s 1st Warthog
Top Active Citizen

Have Gun.. "Might Travel"

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 01:37:45 pm »

Governments.... Angry  

JMOHO….

Us `Brits` are supposed to be ruled by ole `Lizbet 11` BUT it’s the government what really run the show, as it appears to be in your boootiful country

Encarta Dictionary points out…

Government.. (noun).

1.Political Authority… a group of people who have the power to make and enforce laws for a country or area.

Now I thought these `people` we elected by `us` to represent `us’.

But as it is painfully clear no matter WHAT political flag they fly once they have power for whatever reason they want to relieve us of our rights and our freedom.

Every single country on this planet is run by 1 person who has successfully conned the electorate into believing them and what they `supposedly ` preach!

And sadly, it looks set to continue until Nelson gets his eye back!!

Paladin (What gonna shuddup `n take his meds now Grin ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2014, 01:49:18 pm »

Keep your eye on the cross + Smiley

Blair
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:59 pm »

bowiemake,

How many knives did you loose during that Knife Show Confiscation?
My best,
Blair

A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21
bowiemaker
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 03:22:40 pm »

I did not lose any but I know of some very expensive knives from well known knifemakers that were confiscated at the New York Custom Knife Show. I do not use elephant ivory in my knives but I do use mammoth ivory occasionally. My fear is that they will not bother to differentiate between elephant ivory and mammoth ivory. This is another slippery slope that is already expanding to cover other animal products like horn, turtle shell and mother of pearl and imported hardwoods.

NCOWS #3405   RATS #612
GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 04:17:48 pm »

Look what they did to Martin Guitars..They actually have some models out now with neck joints made from compressed wood,i have an ole guitar that is almost all Brazilian Rosewood from the 60s...So what's wrong with importing fine woods?

Blair
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2014, 05:45:57 pm »

GC R,

I thought the subject was about Ivory.

There are some poisonous/toxic hard woods that might best be band from import. Over and above Ivory. Besides being endangered.
However, use of a dust mask or respirator of sort is still very advisable with most other objects to protect one from lung infection.

Bowiemaker,

Thank you for your reply.
In this case, I must assume you never saw a "Warrant"?
Which may give authorization to search and seize contraband of specific material?
Warrants for "Search and Seizure" may not be obtainable under a "Regulation", without known cause.
Such Warrants are hard to get with it being a Law, let alone a "Regulation".
My best,
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Your ivory handled pistols and knives may soon be illegal « previous next »
Jump to: