Author Topic: What Are You Reading??  (Read 13896 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
I have just finished Colonel Barton' SPILLER & BURR Revolver,
interesting read on the iconic Confederate Armory.

And ....not a book per-say its a 1887 Copy of Merwin & Hulbert Catalog I got off of Ebay
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
I am currently wending my way through a Clive Cussler complex action novel titled "Sacred Stone"; non-stop, quick change action, with a good amount of nail biting suspense - ok for a fairly easy read.  I have Taylor Anderson"s "Iron Gray Seas", one in his "Destroyermen" series, in the stack for next.  I go through about one book a week, depending on the size and content.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
El Peludo, that sounds intriguing.

I just visited Savannah for the first time and looked at Moxley Sorrel's place.  I subsequently purchased his "Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer" which has earned high praise from many corners and so far it is a great read. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:54:33 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
The most interesting reading for me,,,,,,"Old news paper accounts 1800-1920" . Or I just type in "Old outlaws & Lawmen" for what ever state ( okla., tex., miss., n. mex., and so forth) . Might give it a try!!!   Man ,talk about tought!!! Those folks were "BAD".

Hootnix.

Offline Two Spurs

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
Howdy Two Spurs,

Let me know how it is. I have it on my Amazon wish list along with several others.

Hey there Ruff,
I'm a little over half way through it and enjoyed it very much thus far.  Don't see that changing. 

After completing this I'll be looking for the book that actually preceded this one called, "One Ranger".

Tell ya what- I'll be done with this one in a few weeks or so.  How 'bout I send it to you when I finish.  Just PM your address.  :)

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Born 100 Years Too Late
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »
Howdy Two Spurs,

PM sent. Amazon and Barnes and Nobles both have the first book, and several other lawmen bio books. They are on my wish list.
Ruff
SASS #16965, WASA #155, NCOWS #3636, GAF #304
GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7, Cracker Cow Cavalry
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »
...1851 Navy were made longer, were more popular and even made after 1873 for several years. Also the 1861 was not made in the numbers as the 1851...
I love the look and feel of the '61 navy, and want to think Rooster could have carried them.  But as I think about it, the '61 was designed from the get-go to be lighter than the '51 and more comfortable on a belt.  So I'm guessing the '51 was more likely to want saddlebag holsters, and maybe you are right, those were the guns Rooster crowed with.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 04:54:52 AM »
Howdy Octagonal Barrel,

Here is the thing about reading, a friend of mine and I have discussed this in depth, if the detail is not there in a book. We get to use or imagination to fill in the blanks. So Rooster's Navies can be whatever you want.  ;D ;D
Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2014, 05:17:10 AM »
Good morning all,

Want to take the time to thank you all for posting what you are or have recently read. It give me ideas and leads on future reading.

So what have I been reading.

Currently reading the 3rd book in The Tyler Locke series by Boyd Morrison, main character is an ex-Army engineer who gets into troubles. This book uses the Roswell UFO incident as a background.

I have also been reading the Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neill. It is urban fantasy and offers a different take on vampires. It starts right after the main character is bittern and becomes a vampire and how she learns to deal with it.

Also by Chloe Neill is the The Dark Elite, a series about a boarding school and bizarre things going on and around it. Haven't gotten too far into it yet.

Carrie Vaugh's Kitty series, about a werewolf, yes a werewolf named Kitty. Basically the troubles she gets into. She is a radio DJ who hosts a late night talk show about the supernatural sort of Dear Abby foir vampires and weres.

The Fox and O'Hare books by Janet Evanovith and Lee Goldberg, sort of a updated It Takes A Thief, female FBI agent and a suave thief, with a great supporting cast of characters.

Ruff
RO I & II
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
Just finished the new Longmeyer my other name, only took 3 days dang it. good book, his next new in Oct qw

now reading the new McMurty  Last Kind Words Saloon, picks up where  Telegraph Days left off. Then back to finish Doc Holliday by Gary L. Roberts

more to come

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline willcarter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
Just finished Steve Mosby's 'The Cutting Crew' one of 3 books I bought for a fiver in St John's Market, was excellent

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com