Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 10:33:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: What Are You Reading?? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Are You Reading??  (Read 8045 times)
jimbobborg
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 10:06:14 pm »

If you like urban fantasy, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books are excellent.  His first three were done without an editor and it shows, but once you get past those, the series really takes off. 

For westerns, Clarence Mulford wrote the original Hopalong Cassidy books, which are very good reads.  I managed to snag about 6 of them as they were not being printed anymore, but they are available as e-books now.
Ruff
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Born 100 Years Too Late

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 10:29:52 pm »

Howdy Jimbobborg,

I have all of the Dresden Files on my Nook, and the newest one on pre-order. My wife also got me the TV series for Christmas last year.

I will have to check out Clarence Mulford. I have read a couple of Louis La"Mour's Hopalong Cassidy books and wasn't thriled with them. I usually like his stuff too,

Ruff
SASS #16965, WASA #155, NCOWS #3636, GAF #304
GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7, Cracker Cow Cavalry
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Maud, OK
Shawnee McGrutt
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 07:54:31 am »

Ruff and everybody,
I misinformed you all, Round em upSaturdays, is on METV.  That is where you will find Rawhide and Wanted Dead or Alive.  INSP does have westerns on Saturdays.  I should become a politician, as I am good at misinforming the masses. Lips Sealed
Keep your powder dry
Shawnee

National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra
Ruff
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Born 100 Years Too Late

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 08:17:33 am »

Howdy Shawnee,

You are not a politician they hardly ever admit they are wrong and besides you corrected the mistake as soon as you found out.

Ruff
RO I & II
Maud, OK
Lucky R. K.
Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 09:01:41 am »

Killing Floor by Lee Child

Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend
jimbobborg
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 09:46:55 am »

Howdy Jimbobborg,

I have all of the Dresden Files on my Nook, and the newest one on pre-order. My wife also got me the TV series for Christmas last year.

I will have to check out Clarence Mulford. I have read a couple of Louis La"Mour's Hopalong Cassidy books and wasn't thriled with them. I usually like his stuff too,

According to L'Amour, he didn't write those books  Roll Eyes  L'Amour wrote a total of four per a contractual obligation and had to use a nom de plume since no one would buy a western written by a guy named Louis L'Amour Cheesy  Since Mr. Mulford stopped writing about Hoppy the publishing company asked L'Amour about writing some books as the popularity of westerns was starting to take off.  The first two books were written in Mulford's style of Hopalong, the second the Boyd style Hopalong. 
Ruff
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Born 100 Years Too Late

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 10:07:37 am »

Howdy BBB,

How were Mulford's compared to L'Amour's Hopilong books? I know the story about the L'Amour books. It shows he was human, he did something to feed his family and was not proud of it.

Ruff
RO I & II
Maud, OK
jimbobborg
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »

Howdy BBB,

How were Mulford's compared to L'Amour's Hopilong books? I know the story about the L'Amour books. It shows he was human, he did something to feed his family and was not proud of it.

Mulford's books were about on par with L'Amour's later books in quality.  At least of the Mulford books I've read. L'Amour's first two Hopalong books were written to mimic Mulford's writing style, so if you read The Rustlers of West Fork and The Trail to Seven Pines you'll get a good feel for the original Hopalong versus the other two books by L'Amour.
Ruff
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Born 100 Years Too Late

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 06:00:35 pm »

Howdy Shawnee,

I do get INSP, found the westerns the other night while I was scrolling through the channels looking for something to watch. Haven't looked for or seen METV yet. Actually it had slipped my mind to look for it. So I will look for it now.

Hey BBB,

I think that I will look for Mumford at my local library and check him out. Did not like the La'Mour Hopilong books at all.

Ruff
RO I & II
Maud, OK
Jayhawker
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 11:30:32 pm »

Jeff Sharaa's "Gone for Soldiers" Excellent read about Winfield Scott, Robert E. Lee and the war with Mexico...

Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...
StrawHat
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:19 am »

Most recent books were "Killing Lincoln", "Killing Kennedy",  and "Killing Jesus", all by Bill O'Rielly.  Interesting take on all three deaths.

Last one I read just for fun was "My Life Before and After the Sound of Music" by Agatha von Trapp.  A very interesting story about the real Trapp Family Singers.

Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.
Rye Miles
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 07:27:12 am »

Finished Apaloosa, Resolution, Brimstone and Blue eyed Devil by Parker. Working on Tucker now by Louis'La'Mour.

Great reading by Parker and I hear there's two more, Iron Horse and Bull River

Rye Wink

Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 02:12:16 pm »

Just got True Grit.  Never read it, hoping to get my daughter to read it. 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Two Spurs
Citizen

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 08:27:42 am »

One Ranger Returns, by H. Joaquin Jackson.

Texas Ranger stuff is neat. Smiley
Ruff
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Born 100 Years Too Late

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 09:30:30 am »

Howdy Two Spurs,

Let me know how it is. I have it on my Amazon wish list along with several others.

Ruff
RO I & II
Maud, OK
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2014, 11:47:10 am »

I have just finished Colonel Barton' SPILLER & BURR Revolver,
interesting read on the iconic Confederate Armory.

And ....not a book per-say its a 1887 Copy of Merwin & Hulbert Catalog I got off of Ebay
El Peludo
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2014, 01:34:34 pm »

I am currently wending my way through a Clive Cussler complex action novel titled "Sacred Stone"; non-stop, quick change action, with a good amount of nail biting suspense - ok for a fairly easy read.  I have Taylor Anderson"s "Iron Gray Seas", one in his "Destroyermen" series, in the stack for next.  I go through about one book a week, depending on the size and content.

El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2014, 02:04:35 pm »

El Peludo, that sounds intriguing.

I just visited Savannah for the first time and looked at Moxley Sorrel's place.  I subsequently purchased his "Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer" which has earned high praise from many corners and so far it is a great read. 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Slamfire
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2014, 08:30:11 pm »

The most interesting reading for me,,,,,,"Old news paper accounts 1800-1920" . Or I just type in "Old outlaws & Lawmen" for what ever state ( okla., tex., miss., n. mex., and so forth) . Might give it a try!!!   Man ,talk about tought!!! Those folks were "BAD".

Hootnix.
Two Spurs
Citizen

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2014, 09:45:18 pm »

Howdy Two Spurs,

Let me know how it is. I have it on my Amazon wish list along with several others.

Hey there Ruff,
I'm a little over half way through it and enjoyed it very much thus far.  Don't see that changing. 

After completing this I'll be looking for the book that actually preceded this one called, "One Ranger".

Tell ya what- I'll be done with this one in a few weeks or so.  How 'bout I send it to you when I finish.  Just PM your address.  Smiley

Ruff
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Born 100 Years Too Late

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2014, 09:54:29 pm »

Howdy Two Spurs,

PM sent. Amazon and Barnes and Nobles both have the first book, and several other lawmen bio books. They are on my wish list.

Ruff
RO I & II
Maud, OK
Octagonal Barrel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »

...1851 Navy were made longer, were more popular and even made after 1873 for several years. Also the 1861 was not made in the numbers as the 1851...
I love the look and feel of the '61 navy, and want to think Rooster could have carried them.  But as I think about it, the '61 was designed from the get-go to be lighter than the '51 and more comfortable on a belt.  So I'm guessing the '51 was more likely to want saddlebag holsters, and maybe you are right, those were the guns Rooster crowed with.

Drew Early, SASS #98534
Ruff
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Born 100 Years Too Late

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 04:54:52 am »

Howdy Octagonal Barrel,

Here is the thing about reading, a friend of mine and I have discussed this in depth, if the detail is not there in a book. We get to use or imagination to fill in the blanks. So Rooster's Navies can be whatever you want.  Grin Grin

Ruff
RO I & II
Maud, OK
Ruff
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Born 100 Years Too Late

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2014, 05:17:10 am »

Good morning all,

Want to take the time to thank you all for posting what you are or have recently read. It give me ideas and leads on future reading.

So what have I been reading.

Currently reading the 3rd book in The Tyler Locke series by Boyd Morrison, main character is an ex-Army engineer who gets into troubles. This book uses the Roswell UFO incident as a background.

I have also been reading the Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neill. It is urban fantasy and offers a different take on vampires. It starts right after the main character is bittern and becomes a vampire and how she learns to deal with it.

Also by Chloe Neill is the The Dark Elite, a series about a boarding school and bizarre things going on and around it. Haven't gotten too far into it yet.

Carrie Vaugh's Kitty series, about a werewolf, yes a werewolf named Kitty. Basically the troubles she gets into. She is a radio DJ who hosts a late night talk show about the supernatural sort of Dear Abby foir vampires and weres.

The Fox and O'Hare books by Janet Evanovith and Lee Goldberg, sort of a updated It Takes A Thief, female FBI agent and a suave thief, with a great supporting cast of characters.

Ruff
RO I & II
Maud, OK
Curley Cole
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2014, 02:30:58 pm »

Just finished the new Longmeyer my other name, only took 3 days dang it. good book, his next new in Oct qw

now reading the new McMurty  Last Kind Words Saloon, picks up where  Telegraph Days left off. Then back to finish Doc Holliday by Gary L. Roberts

more to come

curley

Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: What Are You Reading?? « previous next »
Jump to: