Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 10:32:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society  |  The Old Fashioned Way (Moderators: St. George, Delmonico)  |  Topic: Quilt Trivia... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quilt Trivia...  (Read 5128 times)
St. George
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,

« on: October 18, 2005, 08:41:39 pm »

Once more proving that looking for one thing often leads to exploring another - I ran across this title that describes those quilts made to assist with those travelling the Underground Railroad.

Some of you may find it of interest.

'Hidden In Plain View' - The Secret Story of Quilts and the Underground Railroad
Jacqueline Tobin and Raymond Dobard, Ph.D.

"There are five square knots on the quilt every two inches apart. They escaped on the fifth knot on the tenth pattern and went to Ontario, Canada. The monkey wrench turns the wagon wheel toward Canada on a bear's paw trail to the crossroads..."

And so begins the fascinating story that was passed down from generation to generation in the family of Ozella McDaniel Williams.
But what appears to be a simple story that was handed down from grandmother to mother to daughter is actually much, much more than that.
In fact, it is a coded message steeped in African textile traditions that provides a link between slave-made quilts and the Underground Railroad.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."
Steel Horse Bailey
Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 01:41:30 pm »

VERY interesting!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"        

SEE MY PHOTOS: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/m1a1mstrgn/
NCOWS #1919 for Life, SASS Life #27463, NRA Life, Honourable Master of the Black Arts, GAF#98, SBSS, WARTHOG, STORM, American Legion Post # 495
*and a few other organizations*
F.&A.M. - Wayne Guthrie Lodge #753 *** Hiram's Rangers #105
(former) US Army M1 & M1A1 Tank Master Gunner
AKA - Jeff Bailey  A Three-Percenter & Sheepdog

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I aint comin' back. Burn the land; boil the sea: you can't take the sky from me. Have no place I must be; since I found Serenity:  you can't take the sky from me.
by Joss Whedon 2002 - Firefly
Camille Eonich
Chief Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 07:24:37 pm »

Very, very interesting.  I found this on Google that expounds on the "code of the quilts" a bit more.

http://educ.queensu.ca/~fmc/may2004/Underground.html

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 11:34:51 pm »

Very interesting, I've seen bits and pieces of this through the years.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society  |  The Old Fashioned Way (Moderators: St. George, Delmonico)  |  Topic: Quilt Trivia... « previous next »
Jump to: