Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 08:57:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Shotguns  |  Topic: Shotguns for Vintage Hunting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shotguns for Vintage Hunting  (Read 94693 times)
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 08:40:03 pm »

Has a greener lock up too.All i need to do is shoot it~Wolfgang helped me get that one. Smiley

Where do you live Rowdy,that's a fine lookin turkey too!I have yet to hang a lip over wild turkey! Sad The closest i ever got was farm raised once,the breast on that thing was huge and we deep pitted it,boy was that good!

Rick; What model and age is your Husky? (Model number is on the water table and lump.)

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 05:07:54 pm »

Howdy

* 100_0167.JPG (252.04 KB, 653x490 - viewed 425 times.)

* 100_0168.JPG (249.59 KB, 653x490 - viewed 403 times.)

* 100_0169.JPG (256 KB, 653x490 - viewed 391 times.)
Bull Skinner
Citizen

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 02:04:27 pm »

Hey Rowdy, pard, long time no see. You need to get up to the Lakewood Marshals this year. High Brass comes regularly. I haven't seen you since the NRA  Convention in St. Louis when I was workin' the SASS booth and you were workin' the NCOWS booth. That's been a few years ago.

I shoot an 87' with an improved cylinder choke tube, love it. Its my #1 CAS gun these days. I've never hunted or shot slugs through it, but it makes a great Trap gun.  With BP loads, of course!  Grin
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 09:58:01 pm »

Bull Skinner
Good to hear from you . Hows ole High Brass doing , haven't talked to him in a while . Wow where does time go ? It's been a long time since we were at the NRA Convention . Do you still shoot at Cisne ? Do you ever shoot at the West Side in Evansville . Hope to bump into you at a shoot somewhere this year .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 05:08:50 pm »

Howdy
 Turkey season is around the corner . Have you patterned your shotgun ? Will you use BP or smokeless .
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 09:48:21 pm »

I had a successful hunt this fall.  I got my moose on day three of an 11 day hunt, and spent the rest of the time hunting ruffed grouse with my '97.  It took a while to understand that with a cylinder bore and 20" barrel, I had to practically stand on top of them to flush and still be within range.  Fine eating this winter.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 09:45:48 pm »

Gabriel Law
Excellent picture nice looking 97 . Looks like you got the hang of the short barrel . I was really wanting to use my 87 to Turkey hunt with BUT the short barrel with no choke might prove to be IMPOSSIBLE .  I need to figure out how to roll crimp a choke ?
Gabriel Law
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:11 pm »

Thanks Rowdy!  Since last fall, I have acquired an original '87 Winchester in 12 gauge, and I'm going to learn how to load for it, and shoot it with black powder.  Mine has a full length barrel with a nice choke, so it should reach out to those fast flyers a little better.
With the cylinder bored 20" barrel on the '97, I had to be inside of 20 yards, or I'd get a miss.  Sometimes I'd get a few feathers, but in October, they're so well armoured up with feathers that I lost quite a few birds before I got the hang of it.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 10:13:17 pm »

Gabriel
We want to see that 87 . What's the barrel length?
Gabriel Law
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 12:42:45 pm »

Rowdy, the barrel is 32" long.  Here's a few pics.  If there's something specific you'd like to see, that is not in these shots, I'm happy to oblige.

You will notice that the butt stock looks new - it is.  This shotgun was owned by a friend who had me re-stock the butt as the original, which I still have, was 'customized' at some point in its long life, by adding badly done chequering and some bone lozenge shaped inlays in the sides of the wrist.  Subsequently, the gun became available to me, and I bought it in a heart beat.  The bore is very very good, is choked, and the action slick and tight.  I'm not a collector, per se, at least for the sake of investment.  I intend to use this shotgun as that is what it was made for.  I'd be interested though, if anyone knows how to research these great old guys, when it might have been made, etc.
Incidentally, it chambers and cycles empty 2 1/2" brass shells without a hitch.  I've ordered 10 gauge over-shot wads, and have 11 gauge nitro and fibre wads on hand.  This is going to be fun.

Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 05:48:21 pm »

Gabriel
Thank you . That is what a 1887 should look like , a 32 inch barrel not a 20 inch barrel . That will make you an Excellent Turkey gun .
I bet it will pattern a nice pattern at 40 yards . Thanks again for posting the pictures . Excellent Turkey Gun .
Gabriel Law
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 06:03:03 pm »

I've got to travel about 600 miles to the south and east of here to hunt turkeys properly.  But it is not out of the question.  I've a friend who has given me an open invitation to hunt turkeys with him. 
I'll make up some loads and pattern the gun...we'll see how good it is, but I have confidence in the old girl.
Bull Skinner
Citizen

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 06:28:44 pm »

Hey Rowdie, I made the 4th Saturday shoot in March at Evansville's West Side, but did not see ya. May make it for the 4th Saturday this month. Might see you there.

Ps. Tried to make the recent NCOWS Shoot,  but my runnin' mate Marshal Duncan wanted to do Benton instead. He was concerned about his gear qualifying, ie; Steel lined holsters. 
jimbobborg
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:55 am »

For those with 87s, what are you using for plugs?  I got my 87 used and the PO couldn't find the plug so I won't be able to use it for doves this fall without one.  If you're using a dowel, how long is it?
Bull Skinner
Citizen

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:05 pm »

Hey Jim Bob,

Load up some dummy rounds, remove the spring and follower, insert the dummies and put it back together. You may have to remove a few coils off the spring. I loaded one dummy like this to beef up my drop 2 set up and it works great.
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:31 pm »

Howdy
Today  after work I grabbed my 87 shotgun and patterned it . I tried it at 25 yards and it wasn't very good . It is fun to shoot , but it won't work as a Turkey gun . I was hoping it would work at 25 yards OR less . But the pattern was to thin . Oh well I will use my 1878 double it has 26 inch barrels and TUBES , I have a set of Turkey tubes and it will reach out and touch ole Tom . Then it takes a few seconds for the smoke to clear . I love smoked Turkey .   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
shrapnel
There is nothing like the original
Top Active Citizen

Keeping what made the West safe, alive

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 12:50:46 am »

There is nothing like old guns. They were here when we came, they will be here when we are gone. In the meantime we can enjoy them like the previous owners. I saw this George Daw SXS in the local SXS gunshop and had to have it. It is a 12 gauge hammer gun with a 3 digit serial number and made in 1863. This is real early in cartridge firing guns and especially in shotguns.

It is typical of English shotguns, very nicely made and engraved. It doesn't have rebounding hammers, which you would expect  when a gun is that early. The wood is gorgeous and the fit is perfect. It is a round body, back action gun which contributes to it's light weight and balance.

I found a book that was written by George Daw on his patents of 1864 and find this shotgun on the cover and described in detail in the book.

I took it turkey hunting a couple weeks ago and called a nice Merriam's of around 20 pounds in to the decoys and shot the bird with a single load of 7 shot in a 2 1/2 inch shell...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 08:28:40 pm »

Shrapnel
Thanks for posting pictures . Excellent bird with a beautiful ole shotgun . Thanks again .
hammer1
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2014, 07:14:48 pm »

I have a parker GH, 10 gauge, 27/8 chambers. It was my grandads, my brothers didnt want it, ive taken geese, and ducks with bismuth reloads, turkey, and others. RST, makes some loads that are very friendly to old shotguns. I also have a purdey made in 1890, that I won on a auction for a song due to sleeved barrels. If they could talk .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 10:28:45 pm »

Howdy
I plan on early Squirrel Hunting next Saturday , opening day . And here's my weapon and Black Powder ammo loaded with #5 .

* 100_0208.JPG (236.05 KB, 620x465 - viewed 305 times.)
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2015, 06:33:54 pm »

Howdy
Trying my 87 at Quail hunting . I have spent the last two Saturdays looking for Quail no luck . I guess I need to head to Kansas ,need to hook up with Trap . Now as far as the short barrel 87 I think it would work fine birds . But it's short barrel won't work for Turkeys . Oh well I have my 1878 double with a26 inch barrel and Turkey tubes . Did I ever tell you that I love Turkey hunting .
cpt dan blodgett
Top Active Citizen

SASS Conv 2013

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 10:32:30 pm »

My little brother wore out our vintage Knickerbocker SxS shooting dove and quail in about 3 seasons.  An old Sea Captain left the gun with my Grandfather in the 30s, we got it in the 60s, it brought home a lot of Pheasants for both mom and dad.  It just would not hold up to the high volume shooting my little brother was doing 4 boxes of shells a day missing dove and quail.

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII
Tornado
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2015, 04:45:43 pm »

I went on my first quail hunt not long ago.  I brought my 20ga 26" Rossi Overland,  I was even able to knock a few birds hout of the air with it!
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 12:45:38 pm »

Howdy
 Turkey season is only weeks away . I am in the process of coming up with a 1887 with a 28 inch barrel . I have my ammo from last Turkey season and plan on smoking ole Tom . Good luck to all the Turkey Hunters out there .
Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 07:51:48 pm »

Howdy
Well the long barreled 1887 deal didn't work out . So looks like my 1878 double barrel is back in action . I have a couple boxes of ammo left over from last Turkey season so my ammo is ready . hope everyone has all their Turkey Hunting gear ready for season .
Now it's time to gather up my Turkey calls and start practicing .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPSb-rGcJ0

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Shotguns  |  Topic: Shotguns for Vintage Hunting « previous next »
Jump to: