Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 05:03:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  The Shootin' Range (Moderator: Marshal Halloway)  |  Topic: 1894 Stevens favorite, Calibers .22,.25,.32, others, either RF or CF 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1894 Stevens favorite, Calibers .22,.25,.32, others, either RF or CF  (Read 115435 times)
rbertalotto
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 03:53:22 pm »

Today I received from Wisners a new extractor and a main spring for my old Stevens 44. The parts look beautiful. The price seems more than reasonable for the quality!

I bought another barrel today to be relined to 17cal. Not sure if it will be 17HMR or 17MkII. But I still need to get out into the shop and line the 22RF barrel.

Can't wait to put this gun together and start shooting it!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544
Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 01:45:38 pm »

My most current purchase via Auction arrived at my Gunsmith's Shop yesterday and I went in to fill out the California Paperwork fo rit and to look it over.
It is a Stevens "Model 44" 'trigger housing' that shows exterior cleanup and interior rust.  it was stripped of most removable parts although the Trigger spring, anchor screw, the Mainspring anchor screw, and two 'plug' screws (in the upper Tang where a Sight would be mounted) were still present.
The front of the piece had the numerals "44" and "0" stamped deeply into it and on the lower tang a serial number, "37249", is present but of lighter stamping and showed sings of filing on that Tang.
Both the "Breech Block Pivot" and the "Lever Pivot" 'Screw' holes are bored through with slight shoulders left in their bores and the "Hammer Pivot" and "Trigger Pivot" holes have threads in one side so they are for actual screws.
While I am waiting I will be researching as to whether the two bored through holes are for original design pins or will need custom pivot pins made to use the holes present.
I did read mention somewhere that the '44' actions used an none threaded exterior pin with a small retaining screw in one end so I will look for that reference again and see where it leads.

It will sit in the shop for the California Waiting period to expire (until at least 2/18)  before I can begin cleaning it and see if it is a "Good" or "Bad" purchase.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.
Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 11:20:04 am »

I purchased and have received what was listed as a "Stevens" "44" butt stock in fair condition as it had a chip off the bottom heel.
I am now wondering if it was mislabeled as it seems to be identical to the Stevens Favorite Butt Stocks I already own.
I may have to wait until I can take possession of my "44"  receiver, on the 18th, to find out.

In the interim, 'uncra112' and I have been exchanging off Forum Emails developing the measurements/dimensions needed to make up drawings of the "44" internal parts.  We have started with working up AutoCAD (older versions) drawings of the Breech Block, in various shapes, "44", "417", and a slightly heavier one, that will fill out the Receiver slot when it is in "Battery" position.

We hope to eventually be able to use the drawings to make the internal parts for our receivers with missing parts.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2014, 09:54:01 pm »

Please bear with me as i am attempting to post photos of my Stevens 'projects' on the Forum Thread.

The first is a photo of my Stevens 1915 Favorite action and a sued Butt Stock I purchased separately,  it still need more work to get the actiona stock to mate fully.

The action is "in the White" and has been polished with 320 grit.

The nest photo is the Right side of the above action.

The third photo is of some of my barrels.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 08:39:36 pm »

I picked  up my Auction purchase of a used Stevens Model 44 Receiver from my Gunsmiths Shop after the California Regulation Waiting period.  i did not get an update on my projects that are with him as he was not in the Shop today.

Oh well several small packages cam in the mails today so I need to 'inventory' and 'receive' them.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2014, 12:08:06 pm »

Here are two photos of my "Work in Progress" Stevens 1915 Favorite mocked up with the used Butt Stock I have been fitting to it and a Stevens 1894 Barrel in .32 Long RF along with my Model 44 receiver and two possible 44 Links that I received as part of a purchase of Stevens Favorite parts,

The Barrel has the Stevens 'knurled threaded ring nut' that was intended to allow adjustment of the head space to take up any looseness in the action from wear.  It was only used for a period in the middle of 1894 model production, later a 'clump' was added to the bottom of the Link and a spring loaded plunger was added to the lever to bear on the 'clump' and keep the lever tight against the bottom of the receiver when it is closed.

I understand the same system was added to the Model 44 sometime in its production life.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2014, 07:27:21 pm »

Good news for one of my projects:  I won an Ebay auction for a "New Old Stock" Stevens Model 44 enter fire Breech Block.
Also I ordered the available Stevens 44 pivot screws and Pivot pins from "Muzzleloader Builders Supply" and the prices were reasonable with very good customer relations.

Not so good news: I lost an auction for a used Stevens Model 44 Trigger, due to Thunderstorm knocking out my ATT U-Verse service (Television, Phone, and internet) Friday night and it was not restored until Sunday evening.  Nearly 200 emails to deal with since the services came up again.

Other projects, what I could do in the midst of the storms, included receiving a custom home made forend for an 1894 Stevens Barrel That is extended out well forward of the transition from Half Octagon to round and floats the round portion well clear of the wood.  I presently have it on a Stevens .25 Long chambered barrel for trial, the rear end is slightly short of the barrel Tenon edge.

The stormy weather tore up the canvas on my vehicle Tents/Shelters, so I will need to replace them when it clams down again.

My dogs are outside for almost the first time in three days, they used my hall floor for a potty this weekend so I had cleanup duty all weekend and repeatedly.  One of those little things about having two small dogs that are primarily house pets.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 09:23:07 pm »

My "new old stock" Stevens 44 Center Fire Breech block, my order of "44" pins and screws from Muzzleloader Builders Supply, arrived and I am happy to  report some of the items fit as received, others are slightly larger than the holes they should go through but are within 'reaming' range to fit tightly for little lost motion in the action.
- The Breech Block Pivot Pin and Pivot Screw fit the receiver holes tightly but are about .002 big for the Breech Block hole.
- The Lever Pivot, same as BB Pivot, is slightly large for both the Receiver holes and the Lever I have.
- The Hammer Pivot Screw fits the Receiver hole tightly, but I do not have a hammer yet to try.
- The Trigger Pivot Screw does not fit the Receiver holes.
- The firing pin retainer is very tight in the Breech Block and also the threads for it, so fitting may be needed later.
- The Breech Block seems to fit my receiver well, side to side, and front to rear but the up and down will need to wait until I can work the Pivot Pin through both the Breech Block and receiver holes simultaneously.

As to my two 1894 Actions, more delay as my Gunsmith's wife went into the Hospital Thursday. I do not know the cause nor the results.
I believe other things are set aside in times of personal worry, and I agree with that.

My 1915 action is on hold for the moment, waiting upon Pacific Tool and Gauge to complete my .250ALRM Roughing Chamber Reamer, to go with the Finish Chamber Reamer they did last year.  I am not using the Finish Reamer until I can rough the chamber first, I do not want to dull or chip the Finish Reamer in a raw bore.

I received the order of Swiss Black Powder from Buffalo Arms with one 'little' problem, they 'substituted' 1fg for the 2fg I ordered.
I have already talked with Buffalo Arms and we came to a understanding on what will happen, so I am satisfied.
This means I now have Swiss in 1fg, 3fg, 4fg, and Null-B to experiment with along with my previous stock of GOEX 3fg and Pyrodex "CTG".
I also have several types of modern Smokeless Powders I have used or planned to experiment with so I am now well positioned to do the necessary powder loadings for my .25 calibers and my .32 Calibers.

I have a supply of .312" to .315" 90 grain heeled bullets in two designs, and a supply of .255" 51 grain Lead bullets along with some .25" Jacketed bullets.  The experimental loadings will be made up when the weather here drys out and gets warmer as it is done on my back patio which faces to the North, not the Warmest nor calmest at the moment.

I did buy a second 1915 Receiver, but it appears to have been 'Bubba' Repaired in the past, further inspections will wait until after the 18th when I can pick it up from my FFL dealer due to California Regulations.  This one does NOT have a visible serial number nor other markings, has partially cleaned up weld at the body to lower tang joint cleaned up Braze at the body to upper tang joint, and a heavy boss at the end of the lower tang with a screw fitted between the two tangs, which are close to the same length as I remember it from when I saw it during filling out the transfer paperwork.
For $45 plus $5 shipping and $89+ for the transfer, it was 'inexpensive'; but may be unusable as is for a firing arm.  Wall hanger maybe?

Now Back to the 'mundane', getting ready for Tax Preparation, replacing shredded shelter canvas, Getting my dogs to Vet for annual checkup then getting their licenses renewed for the year. keeping ahead of the mushrooms popping up in my back lawn, etc., etc.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2014, 12:55:53 pm »

Pacific Tool and gauge finally charged my Credit Card for the Roughing Chamber Reamer, so it should be arriving soon.  Yea!
Best Regards,
Chev. William

PS: Today my order of spare/replacement Extractor/Ejector parts for the 1894 and 1915 Favorite actions arrived in the afternoon mail.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 10:24:37 am »

Tuesday afternoon my PTG Made Roughing Chamber Reamer for .250ALRM arrived.  I now have both the Roughing and Finishing Reamers for this Cartridge family as they  may be used to cut shorter chambers for other Case lengths in this Development Family of Experimental cartridges.  I also have gathered the tools needed to reform .22 Hornet cases to the diameters needed for both the .25ACP/.250ALxx Range of casesadn the .25 Stevens range, both RF and CF versions.

Now to wait patiently for my Gunsmith to finish the repairs/upgrade of at least one of my Stevens 1894 series actions.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2014, 09:21:00 pm »

The California Regulation waiting time is up so I picked up my Auction purchased unnumbered "Bubba'd" either 1894 or 1915 Stevens Receiver.
Measured the slot width for the Breech Block at .505", indicating this is an old 1894 series action to begin with.
The top tang is brazed on and has one of two 'Tang Sight' mounting screws present, the other hole is missing.
The Tang 'cants to the 'left' so may have been set up fo ra 'Leftie" shooter at some point.
The Lower Tang is a 'welded on homemade replacement that is offset to the Left of center at its join to the Receiver proper and also has a Right 'cant' to it.  The Lower Tang is about .550" to .560" wide and roughly .240" thick, top to bottom.  It has a Hex nut welded to the inside surface near the rear end that accepts a through screw from the top Tang.
There is a "flat" spring in the bottom of the Receiver, held by a screw, that appears to have pressed up on the Breech Block pivot 'ears', possibly to help keep the action closed., this is the first one I've seen like this.

Much  Rework will be Needed to get this Receiver to the point it can be fitted to a Butt Stock or any other parts of the action or rifle.

It did come with a 1894 series Barrel Retention Screw in place in it's hole.
The left side holes for the BB and Lever pivot screws measure about .200" diameter, which seems large as I understand 1894 actions had .187" Pivot screws.  The Hammer and Trigger left side holes measure about .164" diameter (a hammer I have has a .161" diameter hole; a trigger I have has a .163" hole) so these sound close.
Hammer, Trigger and Lever slots seem to be of appropriate sizes but I did not try to measure them at this time.
I( will try to order replacement screws next month, out of "Discretionary Funds" this month, with about a week before SSA money comes for the month.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:34 pm »

This "Bubba'd" 1894 receiver is now holding a set of four pivot screws.
The Breech Block one is just the right overall length for the receiver width but is threaded too far up the shank as the threads would be in one side of the Breech Block so only one 'ear' would be on the 'grip' portion of the screw.  Bad for 'Long Service Life' under stresses of firing.
The Lever pivot screw is slightly too long but Has the correct 'grip' length so that only 1/2 thread shows inside the receiver, this one would have reasonable service life under stress.  The screw end protrudes about one full thread beyond the Receiver outer wall.
The Hammer and Trigger pivot screws again are threaded too far along the shank, showing four full threads inside the receiver yet they are too long as the ends protrude about one thread beyond the receiver outer face.
Now I need to go through my collection of internals to see what I have that will fit also.

I spent time today fitting pivot pins to a 44 Receiver, Breech Block, Lever, and a hammer screw.  I now have the 44 with a Breech Block with very close fit to its Pivot Pin that needs to be fitted to the receiver slot before I try to fit a Link.
The Lever fit the pivot pin but the pin did not fit the receiver hole, so that was gently opened up to take the pin as a tight slip fit.
The Hammer pivot screw head was slightly too large to fit the counter bore for it in the Receiver wall so I 'dressed down' the head diameter to the point it will go into the counter bore smoothly.  Both the Hammer and Trigger screws are slightly too long for the receiver width, sticking out about half a thread.
These are all new manufacture pins and screws from "Muzzleloader Builders Supply" and are made from 'Stressproof' alloy Steel (1144 alloy) and according to MBS can be hardened at 1600 Degrees then tempered at 600 degrees if harder parts are wanted.
A used Firing pin Retainer screw does fit the new Breech Block so it will be used instead of the one from MBS in my action.

W30wcf has been converting the load reports on the .32 Rimfire threads to an Excel Spreadsheet and it is looking very good.
He is also planning to do one for the .32 "Colt" diameter cases that are also discussed in the various Threads.  I have sent him a email with my compiled information, in word .doc Format) so he can combine the data with his.  Mine is still a work in progress as I have not finished going through the threads for tested load information.

I also have a Winchester 700 (Correction: Winchester Model 70, not Model 700) barrel chambered ".300 Win. Mag." in Stainless Steel that I am thinking of remachineing to fit as a .32 Long or possibly a .32 Extra Long chambered for; first choice would be the 44 action; and second choice would be for a 1915 Favorite action.  Since this barrel was not cut for sight bases it could be done in many ways, perhaps with a Tube shroud fitted so it would be fully free floating from Receiver face to muzzle.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2014, 08:00:22 pm »

Received my Direct deposit Social Security money today and already have spent $275.00 on part of the Month's food supplies and another roughly $600.00 on Utilities.  The best part of the day was paying fo rand filling out transfer paperwork for two Stevens Favorite Receivers:

One is a 1894 series with a serial number "80573o" that has the spring retaining screws and what looks like a milled 'notch' in the internal cast shelf near the rear fo the Barrel Socket on the left side.  it begins flush with the side wall inside and extends around 3/32 toward the Center Line of the receiver. depth is hard to tell but appears to be about 1/16" and is the height of the shelf thickness in that area.  So far I did not see any other markings on it. general Brown 'Patina" on it.

The other receiver is a 1915 series and carries the serial number "P-549", the "model 1915 stamping, and the typical "Trademark Favorite, etc. on top of the barrel Socket.  There is also a "Circle I" stamp on the Left Diagonal surface near the front.  So far I have found no other marks on it.  This one also came with the spring retainer screws and also the Trigger spring still in it.  the exterior has a grey metal type of color and some patches of what may be Color Casse remaining but has numerous scratches on the sides running roughly parallel to the main receiver axis on both sides.

Hole dimensions and thread condition of both receivers will have to wait until the manidtory California Waiting period times out, around May 6th.

The other good news is that the '44' receiver and trigger were saved by my Gunsmith after I had tried to get the Trigger pivot screw out with bad luck.

Also another long term project is slightly closer to being completed.  He had the .45 Win Mag Barrel Blank threaded into my NOS Winchester M1 Carbine Receiver (not torqued in yet) so things are looking up on that one after two years of waiting.  
Still to be done on the barrel blank: Mill cuts to side and bottom to fit the operating slide AFTER blank is first torqued in , witness marked, and then removed for the further machining steps, it also will need to be contoured fo ra future Gas block/cylinder but that may wait until it is 'proof tested' as a single shot action first.  The gunsmith has blueprints for the intended barrel design, a 26" long .45 Win. Mag. on a carbine action, for which I have an old Fajen long nose 'Manlincher' style stock set aside.  No, it won't be a floating barrel, it will be clamped like a Carbine was, just about 6 inches longer so it will be a rifle length firearm.

I also picked up a new 50 round box of .38 Long Colt BP Factory loads for my .38 D. A. Colt 'lightening' Sheriff/Storekeeper Revolver. Handed down from my Uncle Ludwig, and is about 85% Nickel finished, with the original Colt Grips (they have the serial number scribed on the inside faces).

All in all a very good Wednesday for me.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2014, 01:42:51 pm »

Added to my .25 Stevens/.250 ALRx Tools set this week; I received custom Lee Case Trim Gauges for .250ALR, .250ALS, and .250ALRM along with case holders to fit both .25ACP/.250ALRx Rims and to fit Parent Hornet Case Rims so I can trim Formed Hornet cases to length for .25 Stevens intermediate CF, .25 Stevens Long CF, and .25 Stevens Extra long CF if I desire.  The longest versions would need the Chamber lengthened somewhat to fit so may not be used anytime soon.  The so Called .25 Stevens Intermediate would be a CF case about 1.050" long that would fit the large Rim recess of Stevens Chambers and would be useful as a equivalent to the .22WMR rounds if suitably loaded although I would use the "standard for the moment" 50 grain Lead Bullets.  It will be a future project to order a mold fo r65 Grain .251"-.255" caliber RFN design bullets.
The 251" is for the Stevens use and the .255" is for use by others for .25ACP loads for Rifles so they can size them to fit the barrels better.

My RCBS JR-3 Press broke last week so I have been out of the Reloading or Forming Case 'business for the time being but that is being changed.
RCBS Emailed me that they received my request fo rthe replacement parts and have sent them no charge, That is Very good Warranties Support!
I also bought a spare Press on EBAY that will be coming next week to be a back up if the repaired one ever breaks again.
The failure was the pivot Pin that joins the Toggle block to the Link , which snapped in the middle and the "Left" End fell out while the "Right" end jammed in the Toggle Block hole.
I intend to replace both of the Link pivot pins at the same time "just in Case" the other one has also been stressed enough to fail soon.

I bought a lyman Manual Case Trimmer and a replacement "power Trimmer' shaft for it to increase the speed with which I can trim the Long Hornet cases down to the needed lengths for my experiments.  they came in the mails and now I need to disassemble them to combine the parts for a power trim station powered by a portable drill motor.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2014, 10:52:13 am »

Just as a Whim, I trimmed down 11 each R-P .32 Long Colt CF cases to .398" long .32 Extra Short RF length.  This required trimming the pilot nose length from  .250" to .200" and reversing the setting collar on the shaft so it could be tightened in place for the extra short case length.  the results are 10 each at .398" +/- .001" and one at .395" case length.
All the cases now have 'thick' necks due to the internal wall taper so will need to be reamed to allow seating Bullets without bulging the case wall.

These cases are "cute little Buggers, even shorter than a .25ACP case.
With a 311090A 90 Grain Heeled bullet (heel length of about .220") the .395" case would have about .015" space between seated heel and the case Web.
With a 299153 87 grain Heeled bullet (heel length of about .100") the .395" case would have about .135" space between seated heel and the case Web.

QL Calculated loads of Titegroup powder seem to indicate a range of .81 grains at 11,274pssi and 648fps to .90 grains at 14455psi and 694fps.  The pressure limit used is The Piezo CIP listed at 14.504psi.
Muzzle Exit pressures calculate to 101psi or less so this would make fo ra Quiet Short Range Target, Varmint, or Plinking cartridge.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 01:18:39 pm »

Sunday evening I was 'puttering' with some old Hornet cases that had neck split when I expanded them to .250 ID, and Trimmed them down to remove the split areas resulting in 6 cases of .750" length.  This is the same as a .22 Extra Long case length and part way between the .25 Stevens Short of .515" and the .25 Stevens Long of 1.124".  I surmise that this .750" length would make a more useful "Short" version than the Stevens version.  The roughly 1/4 inch extra powder volume should provide adequate performance out of this longer 'Short Stevens' cartridge.

But for the moment I will set them aside as they polished up nicely.

Best Regards,
Cehv. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2014, 12:28:40 pm »

This Wednesday I bought a Used RCBS "RC" 'Rock Chucker' reloading press and after scrubbing the ram to remove 'crud' and surface rust, oiled it up and tried forming .22 Hornet, neck expanded to .250" ID, cases to .25 Stevens diameters.  This appears to be much easier as I can form them all the way to the Rim in one pass through the die/press, rather than the multiple press cycles and incrementally lowering the die needed in my "JR-3" press.  I still need to rise off the chair to get the ram the last increment so may consider lengthening the press handle about 6" for more leverage.  The "RC" press does have a larger ram diameter and a threaded bushing to hold the 7/8-14 die so is intended for much larger cartridges than the "JR-3" was.
I also noticed the Rod I have been using to knock the formed cases out of the die is getting shorter while 'mushrooming' the head end so may also go looking for a suitable size and length pin punch to use instead.
Best Regards,
Chev William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2014, 05:53:50 pm »

Today I completed sizing 70 Cases for use as .25 Stevens parent use.  When I removed the Lee Carbide .25ACP Sizing die I noticed that the Carbide sizing ring had migrated into the die body by about .025".  I called Lee and Told them what I had been using it fo rand asked them if the Ring should have moved.  I was asked to mail the Die to them for Inspection, Repair, or Replacement, so that is what I intend to do.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2014, 02:00:11 pm »

I sent the .25ACP Carbide Sizing Die to Lee for Inspection, and they sent me an email yesterday that they are sending a replacement Die via USPS.  So I guess the Carbide ring is not supposed to move up into the body like this one did.

Tried another .25ACP Carbide Sizing Die of about the same vintage and found that the Ring moved up about .010" after sizing down 30 Hornet cases to .318" diameter in my "RC" press.  It seems this vintage Carbide .25ACP sizing die does not have an internal shoulder for the Ring to seat against when flush with the end of the die.  This second one I will not be sending back to Lee as I wish to 'experiment with it' first.  I expect the new replacement from Lee to arrive sometime next week.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »

I received the Replacement .25ACP Carbide Sizing Die from Lee yesterday evening and it visually seems identical to the older ones I have.  I wonder if it is different internally?

I think I will keep this 'new' die in reserve, and continue using the second 'old' one for my reforming projects as it is already showing .010" set back fo the Carbide ring.  I intend to see how far the ring eventually sets back from the forming forces, then possibly 'machine' the end of the die body to bring the carbide back to flush with the end.

Obviously this would only work if there is a 'step' in the die body bore for the ring to seat against.  Something I cannot check by measurement with the tools I have at hand.

Only time and use will let me find out.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2014, 02:33:49 pm »

In my 'looking' for .25 caliber 67 grain bullets, I ran across "Hunters Supply" as a source for .258" diameter 62.9 grain Cast Bullets.
They will need to be sized down to .252" so I ordered a Lee Size and Lube Custom Kit in .252" diameter today, promised for delivery in 60 days.
This is the closed bullet I have so far found to the 67 grain size I am looking for.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2014, 12:10:47 am »

After more .22 Hornet down sizing to .25 Stevens diameters, I found the Carbide sizing ring seems to have stopped moving into the Die body at about .026" to .028" so I turned the bottom of the die bod so the end of the Carbide ring is about .003" 'proud' of the steel body.  So far no further ring movement has occurred.

I also tried 'coining' five rims on new, never fired PPU cases that previously had been sized to body diameters in my older "JR-#" press.
They coined nicely so I will eventually coin the rest of the 100 PPU cases that are already to Diameter for .25 Stevens This will save a rim thinning lathe operation but I will still need to trim the rim diameter to fit my chambers.

Also noted, on a trip to my Local Reloading Store that the current posted price for 100 empty .22 Hornet cases is now $39.00 but there were none in stock.  I also asked about .327 Federal Brass but, alas, none either in stock nor on order.

Next week I may try Federal Customer Service to see if any Empty Brass is available for their .327 Federal Magnum.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

AntiqueSledMan
Citizen

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2014, 08:39:59 am »

Very Interesting Post.

I have tinkered with the Idea of reloading the .25 Stevens. My plan was to order some made to spec cases from Rocky Mountain Cartridge LLC in a center fire configuration, load them with Black Powder & a cast bullet. I was going to build a new breach block with a center fire pin. But my little favorite is in rough condition & I dropped all plans. I do keep an eye open for a good 44 Ideal with a reasonable price tag, but just can't seem to find one.

Thanks for doing such a detailed post, very good information here. There was a fella in New Zeeland who had a post somewhere about "25 Stevens Ammo Dimensions", he turned his own brass & made a new breech block for it.

I must ad that the favorite action is not very strong and caution should be used when attempting loading anything for these. Of course someone will try to make a 25 Hornet & try to load it to the max, I just hope I'm not at the range when this happens.
Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »

Very Interesting Post.

I have tinkered with the Idea of reloading the .25 Stevens. My plan was to order some made to spec cases from Rocky Mountain Cartridge LLC in a center fire configuration, load them with Black Powder & a cast bullet. I was going to build a new breach block with a center fire pin. But my little favorite is in rough condition & I dropped all plans. I do keep an eye open for a good 44 Ideal with a reasonable price tag, but just can't seem to find one.

Thanks for doing such a detailed post, very good information here. There was a fella in New Zeeland who had a post somewhere about "25 Stevens Ammo Dimensions", he turned his own brass & made a new breech block for it.

I must ad that the favorite action is not very strong and caution should be used when attempting loading anything for these. Of course someone will try to make a 25 Hornet & try to load it to the max, I just hope I'm not at the range when this happens.

I am Glad you find the posts interesting but I hope you will also find the information useful and get your "Favorite Speaking" again.

The information on converting CF Cases to RF Adapters have shown that most Stevens Favorite RF firing pins for either .22 or .25 Calibers will contact the rim of a .22 Blank centered in an Adapter case.  Cases can be formed by sizing down .22 hornet cases to .25 Stevens Diameters/.25ACP Diameters using available combinations of tools and dies.  After the forming and trimming are complete, the CF case is then Drilled to fit a .22 RF Blank, with a 'rebate' cut in the CF Case Rim to accommodate the .22 RF rim and a 'crush clearance notch' made in the CF remainder rim so the firing pin has full room to 'crush' the RF rim and fire the Primer within.

All of these activities may be done with a Hammer, Pin Punch, RCBS "Primer Pocket Swage Tool Kit", .25ACP Lee Carbide reloading die set, a Lee Universal Decapping Die, Portable Electric Drill, Fine Cut Mill File, case deburring and pocket cleaning tools, suitable Case Length Trimming tools, a Reloading press, and a piece of Scotch Brand 'Green' Abrasive pad
No 'heavy machine tools needed although drill press and Lathe access eases some of the work.

You would end up with Adapter cases that fit your chamber and original Breech block/firing pin arrangement and that you can reused over and over probably without repeated sizing operations.  A Single Shot Rifle does not need bullets crimped in place as they are not subjected to repeated recoil forces nor magazine spring compression.
Black Powder loading so there is no 'air space' between Powder surface and bottom of bullet in such a modern made adapter will not be as strong as the original BP loads in RF cases due to the lower internal Case Volume of the Adapter case. 
.22 Caliber Blanks have been used from the very short "Acorn" style through to Various Grades of PTL Primer and Propellant Levels with good success.
"Acorn" Blanks seem to be available form Dixie Gun Works in the United States and from Suppliers in Europe for use by those in Europe.  PTL blanks in the various Civilian use grades are usually found in Home Builders/Remodeling Suppliers such as "Lowes" or Home Depot" in the USA.  Also "Starter Pistol" and "Dog Training" Blanks have been used with success.

By all means, go and Enjoy shooting your 'Favorite'.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2014, 04:39:16 pm »

A mid year Progress report:
my 1894 Actions are slowly progressing with my gunsmith as 'Back Burner' low budget projects for him.  the poorer finished one is nearly complete and almost ready for test firing prior to 'bead blasting and final finish applications.  The second one, withmore of the original finish and no scratches will be left in original finish.

The other actions I have acquired of er the time are waiting for these first two to be finished before submitting them for gunsmith attentions, at his request.

In the interim I am doing case forming work at home for both the .25 Caliber range and the .32 Long Colt range.
I now have over a hundred finished to size and rim diameters of the .25 Cal Series and about another Hundred of the .32 sizes done with more of both sizes to be worked upon.

I have ordered a Lee "Lube and Size Kit" in .252" sizing diameter so i can size some of the .257" or .258" bullets I have found offered and acquired so far.

.32 Bullets I have a very nice source of "311090A" custom Cast bullets with a .312" Driving band and .302" heel Diameter form "Matt's Bullets" cast from a custom Accurate 5 'hole' mold.

I also acquired a batch of .312" diameter 100 grain Round Nose bullets and find that I can run them through a .308" sizing die and they  come out .309" diameter; so are suitable for .30 M1 Carbine Cartridge use, although maybe no tat Full Carbine loadings.

.25ACP is also being 'reloaded' as a background project, using Black Powder and also some Smokeless powder charges, for use in both a Raven Pistol and my project Rifle(s), when they are done.  These are being loaded with between 4.5 and 5 grains of BP in various screen sizes behind "Carolina Cast Bullets" made '.25 Ranch dog' 51 grain Cast Lead bullets.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  The Shootin' Range (Moderator: Marshal Halloway)  |  Topic: 1894 Stevens favorite, Calibers .22,.25,.32, others, either RF or CF « previous next »
Jump to: