Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 04:40:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Colt Firearms (Moderator: St. George)  |  Topic: Early Colt Revolving Rifle 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Early Colt Revolving Rifle  (Read 1489 times)
wildman1
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: June 20, 2013, 11:40:13 am »

I just acquired a five shot revolving rifle. On the top strap is stamped "Col. Colt Hartford CT. U.S.A." The CT is not real clear, but the rest is. It appears to be about .55 cal, percussion. The hammer is mounted on the side but strikes the cap thru a slot in the top strap. The nipples are about the size of musket nipples. WM

WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.
Pettifogger
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:51:14 pm »

Great deal. The ones with the side hammer are the later models.  Do a search on-line and you will find stuff about them.  If it is in good condition it is worth quite a bit.
Hondo44
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:22:42 am »

Nice find!!

The actual caliber was .54, so you were very close. The way you describe it, it's a Model 1855 Roots revolving rifle. In that caliber it could be a military or civilian sporting model. Is it long barreled and long stocked with US stamp or a bayonet?

I have a 6 shot in .44 (actually uses .454 balls) reproduction by Palmetto sold thru Dixie. I'm very impressed with the quality and accuracy. No longer made for several years. I found mine NIB on Gunbroker. I'm making a cartridge cylinder for it and using .460 S&W brass with a .454 bullet. A simple firing pin added to the hammer will make it a perfect copy of an authentic period cartridge conversion. Except for the cases; I don't know what was actually used back then.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Colt Firearms (Moderator: St. George)  |  Topic: Early Colt Revolving Rifle « previous next »
Jump to: