Author Topic: S X S SHOTGUN...STOEGER, CIMARRON OR SOMETHING ELSE?  (Read 31281 times)

2010flhrc

S X S SHOTGUN...STOEGER, CIMARRON OR SOMETHING ELSE?
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »
I'm looking for a new CAS shotgun.  I'm a lefty so I'm leaning toward sticking with a S X S but looking for some input before I pull the trigger (so to speak).  Is the Cimarron at around $700 that much better than the Stoeger at $450?  Seems like everthing I see about the Stoeger indicates that it will need a good deal of tuning before it is ready for CAS.  Is the same true for the shotguns from Cimarron or Taylor?  I read elsewhere on the forum that the Pioneer's were good but their website says they don't make shotguns anymore.  What about the "gucci" lever guns that cost $1300 or so...are they ready out of the box?  At this point I'm trying to shave 20 to 30 seconds off my stage times  :o not 1/10s or 1/100s if that should also factor into my decision.
Aloha,
Sandy

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: S X S SHOTGUN...STOEGER, CIMARRON OR SOMETHING ELSE?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
Remember you get what you pay for.  There is nothing wrong with the Stoeger, that simple mods can't fix. Or you can pay an additioonal 400 or more for another gun
Mathew 5.9

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »
If you go with the Stoeger, can I suggest the "Supreme" version versus the standard one. For about $50 more, you get a decent rubber recoil pad, screw-in chokes, and a Stainless Steel receiver.

Also, they come in both single and double trigger versions.  Many people (including myself) have issues with the single trigger version. If you are used to "squeezing the trigger" rather than jerking it, you will quite likely find that it fires both barrels at once virtually every time  (that gets old really really fast).  The double trigger version does not have this problem.

I bought a couple of set of aftermarket Stainless Steel firing pins and a needed wrench to install in my pair of Stoegers but have yet to install them and have yet to have a problem with the factory ones.

A flex hone (Brownells) can polish the chambers nicely for you. You may be able to find someone who will polish them for you for less money than the hones cost.  I was doing several guns at once, so it was cheaper for me to buy the hones than pay someone to do the work for me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:00:38 AM »

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:27:32 PM »
Really? The brake hone kit will work? The honing stones of the ones I've seen seem a touch large to fit into the chamber.

Any particular one? I'm not saying I'd do it, but definitely would look into it!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:00:51 AM »

Before you go, all commando with a brake Cyl. hone ,  STOP  you can easily render your investment to wall hanger status.

You are correct Pioneer is no longer making Shotguns .... The Polish Company was awarded a Polish Government Contract.

Stoeger , Baikal's both can be tuned for the CAS game and are reasonably priced.
I think Cimarron's gun is made in Turkey  

May I assume an exposed hammer SXS is out ? .... couple of choices in that category....

If so, then maybe a look see in their direction is in order
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »
Bought my wife a Stoeger coach and had it honed and springs doctored so it opens and cocks with no effort just the weight of the barrels. A very nice double.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
PLUS ONE to MAJOR 2 !!!!

The fastest method I know to completely ruin a Shotgun is to attack it with a Brake Cylinder Hone.  If you absolutely MUST mess with your chambers, the Chamber Hone and Honing Oil from Brownells is the ONLY way to go.  For a light polish, a brass brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool and a dab of oil will suffice.

Most of the problem with Double guns spitting out fired hulls is the choice of hulls.  Feeding an expensive or well set up Shotgun with cheap ammunition is Oxymoron.  You may well have to go through many different hull configurations to get the one your gun likes.

I'm somewhat Opinionated (No ... Really ..... It's TRUE).  I don't care at all for Single Trigger double guns.  I use, like, recommend and strongly suggest Double Triggers.  With double triggers, you essentially have TWO separate Shotguns, joined at the hip.  Way more reliable.  A Stoeger, lightly managed will serve very indeed.  You can spend gobs more.  However:

Your not going to shave 20 - 30 seconds off your stage times with a change of Shotguns.  No way, No How.  Not gonna happen.  The only thing that will shave 20 - 30 seconds of your stage times is practice.  By your definition "Gucci" Shotguns, regardless of manufacturer are not top level competition ready "out of the box."  When you speak of 20 - 30 seconds, the kind of practice your actually looking at is somewhere around three to seven THOUSAND rounds a week.  Working with ALL your guns and perfecting your transitions.  Excellence is an acquired flavor.  A simple change of hardware ain't gonna get you there.

Coffinmaker

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
The chamber hone with their honing oil from Brownell's is not a brake cylinder hone, for goodness sake!  It is made for the job and works perfectly, if you have any common sense whatsoever.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 02:20:31 AM »
the question was asked " Really? The brake hone kit will work? "    see it up above ?

the response was:
 " Before you go, all commando with a brake Cyl. hone ,  STOP  you can easily render your investment to wall hanger status.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 11:58:16 AM »
This thread is almost four years old.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
Gab Re All .........  Breathe!!   count from 10 .. too .. Zero.

None of us has suggested a "Break Cylinder Hone."  No Way.  No How.  Not Even.  Never Never.  Only use for a Break Cylinder Hone is for .. Break Cylinders.  Since I don't work on my own cars anymore (Warranties are wonderful) I have no use for a Break Cylinder Hone.

Coffinmaker

PS:  the quick link from rickk is spot on.

PSS:  NECROMANCY!!  Since it's re-birth, it's now ..... current, updated, quoted forward and brought Yup-Two-Dates.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 01:57:56 PM »
Used to hear of people chucking a toothpaste-covered bore mop in a drill and running that in and out of the chambers while spinning.  I guess it depends on just how much polishing it needs.  Haven't tried it myself, as none of my SxS have ever needed honing (TTN, Baikal, Liberty II).

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »
I recommend the 1878 made by TTN.  Can be had for 500.00 by looking around and the exposed hammers adds something to the game for me.  Also, they are built like Russian T-34s.  Peace
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
Hey Abilene, I've used Colgate on my 1911 builds when fitting the slide to the frame. Works great. My Gold Cup/Caspian 1911 is super tight and super slick. Never used it on a sg though. I built a sg hone out of a 12 ga shell and used 400 grit emery and honing oil to polish my sticky chamber on an old Marlin model 42. Worked. Shells extract fine. To the op, get a Stoeger Coachgun, lighten the springs and polish the chambers. Can't go wrong.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 06:09:18 AM »
To the op, get a Stoeger Coachgun, lighten the springs and polish the chambers. Can't go wrong.
+1
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com