Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2018, 08:35:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Hand Stitching Leather 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hand Stitching Leather  (Read 64832 times)
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2016, 08:26:57 pm »

When it comes to leather that's too thick to get my needle through, I use a stiching chisel, and mallet, I wax my  tine blades with bees wax before driving the tines through the leather, if the leather is too thick for my chisel I will use my dremel and drill my holes using a 1/16 "drill bit, I do this after marking my holes with a stich marker, you can also do as others have mentioned by using a drill press and using an old needle to make your holes, hope this helps...

tEN wOLVES Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Skeeter Lewis
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2018, 10:06:52 am »

This is the best explanation I've found of how to do a basic saddle stitch. His other videos deal with various aspects of leather work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ue3zBg0bdA

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2018, 12:29:42 pm »

Thanks, Skeeter. That was a very good video. He did two things automatically that he didn't mention. I feel they should be pointed out.

First, always push the awl through exactly the same for each hole. That means angle, depth and slant of the tip. That will allow each stitch to lay exactly the same. If the holes are different, it's impossible to make the stitches look the same.

Second, always put the first needle through from the same side of the project. That makes all your stitches the same. I always work from the front of the project but even if you did it from the back, as long as everything is done the same, your stitch line will be nice and even looking.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2018, 08:46:50 pm »

My stitching usually looks ok in the front, but like drunken sailors in the back. All out of line, dirty, and sometimes covered in blood. This is particularly true with white thread. I gave up trying to use an awl, except as a last resort for hard to reach holes. The rest of the time, I use stitching chisels.

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2018, 01:16:19 am »

There are a couple things you can experiment with that might help you when punching holes with an awl.

Try backing your awl with a cork, small rubber ball or something similar when you punch the holes. That saves your fingers and allows you to make holes all the same because the leather won't flex from the force of the awl.

Also, every couple holes, poke your beeswax with the awl so it goes through the leather without dragging. Just don't get a lot of wax on the tip. A slight amount will do fine.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Hand Stitching Leather « previous next »
Jump to: