Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2017, 09:52:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Colt SAA Clones (Moderators: RRio, Gen Lew Wallace, Hoof Hearted)  |  Topic: Uberti or Pietta SAA Clone Quality, Durability and Authenticity? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uberti or Pietta SAA Clone Quality, Durability and Authenticity?  (Read 39526 times)
llanerosolitario
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2017, 08:53:58 am »

about 15 years ago, I got my hands on a third gen Colt SAA planning to do an article on it for the Cowboy Chronicle.,  The fit and finish of the stocks was TERRIBLE!, oversized as if not sanded down.  The case blue was washed out, and the cylinder dog drug a line on the cylinder.  Then I got A Hartford Premier.  It was gorgeous, and still less than the Colt.  I personally owned a 1900 vintage 1st Gen in 38WCF, and it was better than the third gen...

Was it a new gun  supplied from the  Colt custom shop? Or was it a second hand gun probably manipulated?
Ben Beam
SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2017, 09:52:50 am »

The biggest advantage of the clones might be that they allow people like me to participate in Cowboy Shooting. I could never justify spending the money I would need to on a Colt (not saying they're overpriced, just that I'm not in a position to do so). If it wasn't for these clones, my suspicion is that CAS/SASS never would have really taken hold.

Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2017, 04:17:42 pm »

I understand the need for quality and durability which is why I invested in Rugers way back when I started playing this game. I can honestly say that other than upgrading the grips with checkered buffalo horn and a couple of coils cut off the mainsprings my .45 Rugers are stock. Authenticity is something else though. We all choose how 'authentic ' we want to be. From Civil War reenactors who pull their machine sewed shirts apart so they can hand stich them back together to cowboys with crotch holsters holding tricked out .32s and mouse fart loads in their short stroke rifles. A reproduction is just that and only that no matter who makes it. Modern metallurgy should be superior to 100 year old metallurgy but the gunmakers skill has gone downhill for the most part. It's all about the bottom line. We need to be true to ourselves and see things as they are. Most of us shoot repro Colt and Winchester firearms, some of us shoot original Colt and Winchester, most shoot a combination of both. We are all trying to experience this part of our country's past. Enjoy the sport, enjoy the firearms but mostly enjoy the people. The stories you tell are about the guys and gals you've shot with not how authentic somebody's gun was.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
nativeshooter
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2017, 06:43:03 am »

I dont own any of Cimarrons ubertis or piettas, but im curious to know if uberti and pietta have the flat spring/hand that are in the BP revolvers or are they like in my uberti horseman where its a screw and spring in the frame to help move the hand. Could someone help me out here?
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2017, 07:44:55 am »

I purchased this Uberti in early '17' - 32/20 , replace the Grips with Black Walnut , noted it has the coil spring & screw in the frame.
This SS Uberti in 45 is a 2014 and has the coil spring & screw.

* 20170212_162530_HDR_resized.jpg (48.89 KB, 664x374 - viewed 29 times.)

* IMAG0947- resized.jpg (92.39 KB, 640x360 - viewed 31 times.)
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2017, 03:44:25 pm »

I dont own any of Cimarrons ubertis or piettas, but im curious to know if uberti and pietta have the flat spring/hand that are in the BP revolvers or are they like in my uberti horseman where its a screw and spring in the frame to help move the hand. Could someone help me out here?

The Pietta SAA's and Uberti SAA's for a long time now, do have coil hand springs.  Ubertis have a setscrew behind the spring, Piettas do not.  The various conversions, opentops, and percussion guns have old-style flat handsprings.

Edit: some years ago I saw a brand new '71 Opentop out of the box that had a hole drilled for a coil handspring (though it did not have one).  Which led me to believe Uberti was going to start putting coils in those guns.  But to my knowledge they never did.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Colt SAA Clones (Moderators: RRio, Gen Lew Wallace, Hoof Hearted)  |  Topic: Uberti or Pietta SAA Clone Quality, Durability and Authenticity? « previous next »
Jump to: