Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 11:07:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  CAS FAQ (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Main Match rifles and why... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What is your Main Match rifle of choice
1860 Henry or replica - 25 (8.8%)
1866 Winchester or replica - 42 (14.8%)
1873 Winchester or replica - 108 (38%)
1892 Winchester or replica - 49 (17.3%)
1894 Winchester - 11 (3.9%)
1894 Marlin - 40 (14.1%)
Other - 9 (3.2%)
Total Voters: 268

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Main Match rifles and why...  (Read 87164 times)
Stillwater
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 02:31:39 am »

I have more Cowboy style rifles, than the two Cimarron 1873's, I mentioned in the other thread.

I have Marlin 1894 CB rifles in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. I have two of each. They are one of each, in the 20" Octagonal barrel, and one of each in the 24" barrel.

I have a new Marlin 1894 in .44-40 with a 24" barrel also. This one was a little pricy at the time.

I wish Marlin would put out the 1894 in .38-40.

I'm looking for a Marlin 336 CB in .30-30 also.

Bill
Daniel Nighteyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2009, 10:44:03 am »

I shoot an Uberti 1866 Winchester carbine in 45 Colt, because (1) It fits my timeframe - the early 1870's; (2) It fits my persona's stomping grounds - northeastern New Mexico/Texas panhandle/Cimmaron Strip; and (3) It fits who I am.

It has had no tuning or smoothing out, other than the ongoing "Piru Action Job" with every match I shoot!  Cheesy Cheesy

Shotgun Franklin
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2009, 06:17:37 pm »

I used to shoot a WW '94 in .45 Colt. It was super strong and, at least mine, was reliable. I walked into a gunshop I frequent and the clerk working that day told me that he just had to have a new motorcycle. He had a mint ' 73 rifle clone .45 Colt with a super slick action job. He paid $1300 for it but because he had to have that motorcycle he sold me the rifle for $600 total. It is a super shooter and it took me a year to get where I could shoot fast enough to keep up with the gun. I have a SS '92 also in .45 Colt I use as my 'truck gun'. It could be used as a match gun in a pinch.
Oh, BTW, that '73 came with a lifetime warranty against breakage.

Yes, I do have more facial hair now.
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2009, 08:01:52 pm »

I started with a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt, then got a Rossi 92 in 44-40 to match my pistols, now last month I bought a Uberti 66 in 44-40.
boot strap jack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2009, 07:09:09 pm »

I now have added a 73 to my cart, still like to shoot the 92.
cpt dan blodgett
Top Active Citizen

SASS Conv 2013

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 06:33:38 pm »

bought a 1892 Rossi Puma 20 in rb carbine in 44 Mag prolly back in 96 or 7 to match my 44Mag Vaquero at the time was shooting 44 special 247 grain semi wad cutters (only needed 1 pistol back then.)  Gun shot fine at SASS ranges but would not shoot 50 yards without key holing.  Slugged bore was .434 or .435 depending on how measured.  In stead of drilling a .421 hole and rifling out to .429 rossi drilled a .427 of .429 hole and rifled out to .434 or 5.  

They have since fixed that.  I bought a second Hartford Model from Steve Kiowa Jones octo barrel 24 in blued and case hardened.  Nice gun really slick, but the stock is a little long for fast cycling with my short arms.

Why the 1892,
1.  The Duke used them from shortly after the Civil war until he Died in VA City or Carson City in the Shootist.
2.  The 44 Mag matched the Vaquero
3.   44 Mag would hunt pigs and deer (refused to use the over bored carbine for anything but SASS, could not shoot well enough to guarantee a quick killing shot at more than 25 yards.  I owed it to the animal to kill them quickly and humanely.  Update started using desparado soft flatbassed bullets get round holes and 6-8 inch groups at 100 yards now could hunt with it now.  )

If I were going strictly for speed would probably go with a 73 win.

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII
ogreshooter
Citizen

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »

1866 Yellowboy

Main reason was price. I really like the 66 and the 73, but for $500 for a barely shot model, I could not pass it up.

I like most of the options in the poll, but the 66 and 73 are by far my favorite (I like the looks and feel of them).

73's are particular to ammo length, and I can shoot one load between my pistols and rifle now without finicky ammo.
Griff
Top Active Citizen

Speed Junky

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2010, 08:29:13 pm »

73's are particular to ammo length, and I can shoot one load between my pistols and rifle now without finicky ammo.
Actually, the '66 is just as finicky as the '73 as to ammo length.  As are the 1860 Henry, the 1894 Marlin and '92 Winchester (& its clones).  The '94 Winnie is less so than the others, but that's mainly because of the great length of the action.

The Henry, '66 & '73 are all toggle link actions, with an enclosed "box" (actual nomenclature is "mortise"), that the cartridge MUST fit inside to work thru the transistion from magazine to chamber.  All three have basically the same size mortise.  The only difference that bears on the ability to feed different lengths of ammo is the "leade" or ramp on the front of the lifter.  They seem (from my very unscientific study), that the earlier examples generally have a longer leade or shallower angle, making it easier for the lifter to PUSH rounds back inside the magazine.  Thus, one can feed much shorter cartridges into the magazine, and while more of the following cartridge is allowed on the lifter, it can be pushed back into the magazine and the cartridge fully on the lifter will feed into the chamber.  Later guns seem to have a steeper lead onto the carrier, making it more difficult to allow shorter rounds than those that "just fit" in the lifter mortise.  Too short a cartridge, and it'll feel more of the second cartridge on the lifter than the angle can push back into the magazine.  It may actually jam.

Hope I explained that well enough... couldn't find pics of the difference in the angles among my pic library.

Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2010, 09:09:23 pm »

Here's the pics, in Pettifogger's article;

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/togglelink.pdf

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
LoneRider
Top Active Citizen

Silver Screen Hero

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2011, 01:37:13 am »

Started with a Puma '92 in 45, got another one, got tired of the stovepipes. Then a Marlin Cowboy, shot B-Western alot then. Now have a Uberti '73...love it, it's fast and the 24" barrel is perfect for me, no bouncing when going fast!

Happy Trails
Sleepy Floyd
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2014, 02:25:37 pm »

While I have not done my first meet yet, I went with the 1860 Henry.  I have lusted after that rifle since I was a youngen.

Mike
jimbobborg
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:32 pm »

I went with the 1860 Henry.  I have lusted after that rifle since I was a youngen.

Mike

Funny thing about that, I did, too.  I wasn't sure about the 44-40 chambering but it's all good.  I picked up a Rossi 92 in .357, works well with my .38 Special reloads.  That's my backup rifle.
Will Lynchem
Top Active Citizen

New York City? Get a rope!!!

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2014, 03:13:33 am »

I'm no long timer to the sport. In fact I just shot my second match ever in CAS memorial day weekend. So I enjoy the input from those of you who have been around for awhile and what you are using. It makes a big difference in how I will choose my next main match rifel. For my starter rifle,  I chose a Uberti 1873 short rifle with a 20 inch octagon barrel for two reasons. 1, I got a "offer I couldn't  refuse" and 2,  after resurching the different rifles, the 73 was thought of as the most accurate and reliable of all. The 66 was a close second. This will most likely be my next gun if the pre Remington Marlin owners dont come off there cloud and bring the price of there rifles back into the realm of reality. 
I have to admit,  after having Jim Bowie at the Cowboys and Indian store do an action job and 5h generation short stroke kit, I'm pretty much sold on the 73s. The smoothness and accuracy is amazing!  At 100 yards free standing, 4 out of 10 rounds in the 10 ring with the other 6 in the 9 ring with an overall grouping of about 1.5 inches.  I Love It! ! !. I also do my own reloading and I have run at least 1000 rounds down the pipe without one jam up, stuck case, misfire, loading or ejection problem. I just don't know if you can get any better or ask for anything more! I do love the looks of the 66 though.  Love the brass and you got to love the octagon barrels! W. L. Grin

I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703
Octagonal Barrel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 11:08:43 pm »

Marlin '94, standard model with 20" barrel.

Why?  Price.  Aesthetically, I want a Winchester '66.  But I don't have a lot of money.  Had a chance at buying a friend's Cowboy Marlin '94 in .44 mag with a 24" octagonal barrel.  (I love the look of octagonal barrels.)  But I ran across an absolutely pristiine pre-buyout '94 in .44 mag with a 20" round barrel for $500.00.  Aesthetics went out the window in favor of raw, affordable practicality.

The only risk was not knowing if the gun would shoot .44 specials.  Happy ending, it does!  I hope some day I can afford a '66 too, but I hope to have the wisdom never to get rid of this gun.  I'm real happy I have it.

Drew Early, SASS #98534
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2014, 01:50:05 pm »

Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt.  Why?  It was beautiful and I thought I might hunt with it as well so I went .45.  I am now wishing I had gone .44-40 because I'd like to shoot black powder more.  I am looking at another 1873 in .44-40 but I would take a Henry in a heartbeat.  While I hear the Henry is slower, I don't care.  I shoot 8" barrelled revolvers and a 28 inch shotgun (with hammers, of course), my 1873 has a 24.25 inch barrel--I will never shoot "fast".  Where I am from, the west, carbines were not trusted to carry a round far enough.  In the real west, most pistols that were not pocket types had longer barrels.  Most shotguns were used to hunt game so were not coach guns.  I don't use a shotgun belt becuase they did not exist in the 1870s.   

If I ever decide to become a gamer, I will shorten it all up and get all the crap and doo-dads, but for now, I am fine with the long heavy pieces I have and hearing the groans from the others when I stop to fish a couple rounds outta my pockets.  . 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
TheOtherLeft
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »

I only started SASS late last year and only bought my guns then. After speaking to the other shooters in the club I was warned against the Winnie 92/94 as I was going to shoot 38's. I really wanted a marlin 1894 but due to the Remlin notoriety I stayed away from them. that left the Uberti 1873 and boy am a I glad I did. It's a beautiful short rifle. I've done a bit of DIY gunsmithing and it's super smooth.

I would still like a Marlin but only when their quality comes up to scratch.

Here in Australia there isn't a big market for lever actions unlike their bolt-action cousins so pickings are a little slim in the second hand market.
Modoc
Top Active Citizen

Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2015, 01:26:26 am »

Started SASS using a Rossi 1892 in 44 mag, then after I wore it out I picked up a Browning B92 in 44 mag, then went to a Browning B92 in 357 Mag (notice a trend?).  These served me well for about 11 years until I got to the point that I was physically out running the action on the 1892s.  I am now using an almost box stock Taylor's 1873 in 357 that "may" get a stoke kit some day.  The only thing that I have done to it is to change the sights to a Beach Front and a Marble's Tang.  I love it and use it for both CAS and NRA Cowboy Pistol Cartridge Silhouette, but still use the 1892s for hunting and knocking about in the woods and desert because they are lighter and can handle a steady diet of heavy loads.

My whole family is now shooting 38/357 so we have an easier time with ammunition and it is cheaper to reload (not really, we just shoot more for the $).

Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2015, 06:20:37 pm »

I'm new to this thread, but I'll answer the question.  Whenm I first got into CAS, I had the pleasure of handling a Pedersoli Colt Lightning.  I was instantly in love, so I bought a 20" bbl'd .45 Colt.  It is super fast and accurate, and has paved the way to two local CAS event wins for me.  So I'm ion the 'other' category, and am happy there.
Grapeshot
Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2015, 08:47:17 pm »

I started out with a custom 1873 carbine in .45 Colt.  I then picked up a Marlin 1874 in .45 Colt.  After I began to play with Black Powder I got an Iron Framed 1860 Henry in .44-40.  Then I picked up a Yellow boy carbine in .44-40.  Then I thought I needed a .44-40 1873 short rifle.

Now I have my original custom 1873 Carbine in .45 Colt and the .44-40 short rifle.  I sold everything else.  Except for Wild Bunch, the .44 WCF short rifle is my main match rifle.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.
Good Troy
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2015, 08:33:10 am »

I started CAS with a Henry Big Boy in 45 LC.  I got interested in BP, and being PC, so I traded a Highwall that I had for a Uberti '73 rifle in 44-40, plus ammo, nickle plated brass, and dies.  I got a deal on a Rossi 92 in 357 that I could pass up, so I purchased it.  I like my '73, and use it for my match rifle.  I'm a little to loose on cycling the 92, so I eject live rounds some times.  But, Miss Red likes the 92.  One day, I'll likely add a '66 or '73 carbine in 44-40 to my arsenal.  Until then, the '73 is my choice.

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2015, 12:05:23 pm »

Chiming in again, up-dating my Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 11:50:03 pm »

I habitually reach for the 73 short rifle, but the Henry's are still in my quiver ..

I do want to give honorarium to the JM Marlin 32/20  Classic 94 ....this thing is a tack driver, NOS from it's 1990 build date.
I'd use it if it were not button magazine  only holds 7 rounds

* Marlin-3.jpg (181.78 KB, 1023x764 - viewed 190 times.)
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2015, 12:28:06 pm »

Chiming in again, up-dating my Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 11:50:03 pm »

I habitually reach for the 73 short rifle, but the Henry's are still in my quiver ..

I do want to give honorarium to the JM Marlin 32/20  Classic 94 ....this thing is a tack driver, NOS from it's 1990 build date.
I'd use it if it were not button magazine  only holds 7 rounds

To me, that's as nice a little "walking around" gun as a fellow could have. 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2015, 05:36:44 pm »

My main match rifle is a Pedersoli Colt Lightning in .45 Colt.  It is very fast and positive, is easy to stay on target while working the action, and since I figured out what loads it loves, it never has hick-ups.
LostVaquero
Active citizen

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2016, 11:40:23 am »

Well I do B-western mostly.  I have a Marlin 94 Cowboy Ltd but much prefer my Henry steel Big Boy.  The BB was out of the box slicker then the Marlin even after being through some slicking up and has just gotten better with use.  I have put Marlin springs and ejector in it which helps a bit.

I have a Miroku Winni 73 which I occasionally run when not doing BW but the wood is so nice that I don't want to scuff it up.  Nothing been done to it but run a match or two and it seems real smooth as well.

I have a Gold Rush lightning which I love in 357 (and run 357 brass trough) but seems to have a lot of issues.  It is being sent to Lassiter for hopefully some of his magic. 

Eyeballing a Navy Arms Pedersoli lightning.  Expensive more than likely but Val (III) said sending samples to Lead Dispenser to make sure they run.  If they can pass him, I would not have any problems, no where near that fast! (wish I was but like the billion Powerball wishes are just that).
rbertalotto
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2016, 12:12:37 pm »

1866....Why? Looks.....Caliber? 38/40 Ease of cleaning, good chamber sealing

I have an 1873 in 38-40 (in fact I have three of them Uberti and two 1800s Winchesters)...But I like the brass frame simply for style points.

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  CAS FAQ (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Main Match rifles and why... « previous next »
Jump to: