Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 03:31:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  CAS FAQ (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Main Match rifles and why... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What is your Main Match rifle of choice
1860 Henry or replica - 25 (8.8%)
1866 Winchester or replica - 42 (14.8%)
1873 Winchester or replica - 108 (38%)
1892 Winchester or replica - 49 (17.3%)
1894 Winchester - 11 (3.9%)
1894 Marlin - 40 (14.1%)
Other - 9 (3.2%)
Total Voters: 268

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Main Match rifles and why...  (Read 87367 times)
hawk167
Citizen

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2005, 08:13:50 am »

Howdy folks,
I am so new I ain't even bought a shootin' iron yet!
Have a Sringfield Armory M14A1 I was fixin' to trade for a Henry Big Boy in 45lc.
Was mighty disappointed when I got to scratchin' around yer diggins to find that this rifle is not being
shot or even mentioned.
Can someone tell me why?
Stump Water
I ain't gonna worry about it.
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2005, 12:34:54 pm »

Howdy Hawk,

The Henry Big Boy was approved by SASS as a legal main match gun just a year ago at the SASS Territorial Governor Summit. So, it's not had much time "on the line"... so ta speak. 

There was a lot of heated debate leading up to the rifle being approved.  A very vocal contingent was against the rifle because it isn't a replica of a rifle from "the period".  The other side said it "looked cowboy" and that was good enough.

Enough history.  Get yourself to a match and yak it up with the folks there.  I'm certain you'll get the opportunity to test drive some equipment and that'll go a long way toward helping you make up your mind... any probably save ya some coin in the long run too.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with yer clothes on!  Grin
Major E A Sterner
"Honorary Southern Gentleman"
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2005, 07:31:21 pm »

I finally saw a Henry Big Boy, I wasn't impressed with it, For the price, I can buy a 66 that will be a much better CAS rifle(IMHO) Than the Big Boy, the 66 is easier to load, and is a "REAL" Cowboy Rifle.
Just my opinion

Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
DarkBlack
Poor White Boy
Active citizen

Dark Black isn't a color, it's a way of life.

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 04:56:43 pm »

I just started out in CAS this year, and I traded a Browning Buckmark & a Grendel P-10 Undecided for a Rossi M92 with a 20" round SS barrel in .45LC.

I've only shot a few matches with it, but I've put hundreds of practice rounds through it, & so far so good.

I have yet to have an action job, but I spoke to Floyd Hansen from Rockford IL (gunsmith specializing in Victorial period arms) and he showed me the difference between the extractor on a Rossi '92 and a Winchester '92. The Rossi was only about half the length of the actual Winchester. He went on to explain how this subtle difference accounts for the actions difficulty wit ejecting the empties fully. He's developed a few "tricks" he says will help compensate for the shortcoming.

That having been said, I haven't had any trouble with my ammo feeding, shooting, or ejecting . . . yet. I load my own with 9 gr. of Hodgdon HS-6 & top it off with a 255 gr. Hornady Cowboy bullet (RNFP), it's all touched off by a Hornady Large Pistol Primer and I haven't had any trouble with Midway, Winchester, or W-W brass. I'm using a Lee classic press and hand priming the cases with the Lee easy-prime (got into the whole reloading set-up for right around $100US).

He also told me that many cowboy gunsmiths don't want to work on Rossi guns. Has anyone else experienced this trouble?

All things considered, I like my Rossi. It's not the fastest gun on the range, & it's not a race gun by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not a "gamer", so for me it's more about enjoyment, relaxation, safety, and escape from the Democrats & Republicans!

I always wanted a Winchester '73, and what self respecting Jimmy Stewart fan wouldn't. But the '92 had one distinct advantage over any maker's '73 for this empty pocketed A-town white boy, & that was expense.

I think the '92 is a great place to start.

Shooting straight means never having to say you're sorry.

-Dark Black
SASS #65451
Dakota Widowmaker
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

SASS# 65062

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 05:14:01 pm »

I use a Henry for my main match rifle these days. (well, for 2 of the last matches this fall...)

My firing pin in my Rossi 92 went and got broke. Now, I have to order a new one.

They are all cast, not machined. I am going to take the design to a good friend of mine and see if he can't machine one out of good quality steel instead. (he already owes me big...this should ALMOST make us even)

Warning to Rossi 92 owners...they all have the same problem, cast firing pins.
Ed Clintwood
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 05:26:45 pm »

Being new I have looked at Marlin's, 1973's, yellowboys, 1892's and I really like the 1873.  That being said I just bought a Lightning in .45 LC.  Haven't had a chance to get to the range and shoot it yet, but it is slick. 
tarheel mac
Top Active Citizen

SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 05:59:14 pm »

Wait a minute, a Lightening?  You mean them things ain't jsut figurements of our imagination?
Silver_Rings
Top Active Citizen

Gunfighter who shoots for fun.

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 06:00:42 pm »

Started with a Marlin, the a Win 94 and finally a Win 73.  The 73 looks great, handles great and the action is the smoothest of the 3 with no action work.  The 73 was the most expensive but worth it, its a keeper.  Grin Grin

SR

Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2
Ed Clintwood
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2005, 09:54:12 pm »

If err when I get another long gun I think it will have to be a '73.  I agree that the ones that I've handled are really nice, however there is one person who may have a differrent opinion of when Sad
Griff
Top Active Citizen

Speed Junky

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 03:50:17 am »

My firing pin in my Rossi 92 went and got broke. Now, I have to order a new one.
They are all cast, not machined. I am going to take the design to a good friend of mine and see if he can't machine one out of good quality steel instead. (he already owes me big...this should ALMOST make us even)
Warning to Rossi 92 owners...they all have the same problem, cast firing pins.
When you get a new one, even if it's cast, polish it down on the polishing wheel.  That will take the roughness of the exterior of the metal, and provide much less surface for stress to develope.  I did that with the one I replaced in my wife's '92 and have yet to replace it again.

Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life
MississippiMarshal
Citizen

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 01:09:08 pm »

I kinda partial to my 24" Cimmeron 73' or if'n I need a little lighter I pickup the SRC Cimmie 73'.
The long is great for them dead eye shota where the SRC is the dump gun.

I have a Marlin I shoot sometimes to keep the cob webs out and ifn my daughter or wife shoots I usually let em use it.

The Cimmies were a little expensive at first but you can find them fairly reasonable on line now. I like the heft of the 73's better than the Marlins.

My Cimmies ain't had but 1 hic-up n a main match in 4 years. Once I had a spent cartidge go straight up in the air and came down in the carrier.

Marshall

God, Keep your hand on our boys overseas fighting to keep this great nation's freedoms.

Real gunfighters pull both pistols at once
Dirty Dan Dawkins
Wyoming or bust!
Very Active Citizen

Mid Ga's electric cowboy

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2006, 05:19:10 pm »

I am new to this sport and purchased a .45 Long Colt Rossi '92 replica. I bought it used for $210 plus tax at a gun store. For me it was economics. Personally, as far as actions go, I love Marlin. Very slick. The only problem I had with my Rossi was the action. It has had an action job on it and is quite nice now. Still a far cry from some other brands, but nice. The plus side to the '92 is handling in regard to weight, shouldering and aim. I'd just like to put some buckhorns on it.

I play cards with J.D. Shellnut....chief of Police...SO get off my a**!!!!!!!!!!
Drydock
MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »

I've shot a BP .44-40 Henry for years, still got it, but my new favorite is my Spencer .50.  Its big, its slow, its got STYLE!   Grin

Ya sure, no more wimpy little .44s and .45s fer me!

Civilize them with a Krag . . .
Silent Joe
The Netherlands
Top Active Citizen

Lady Lis and Me

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 11:56:33 am »

I've my Uberti "Yellow Boy" now for 10 years and it's a lovely gun. (Yes, it's the one on the picture.) I shoot .38 Sp. only, but that is good for me. I took it over from my hairdresser, becaus he had no time for shooting anymore.

* MY YELLOWBOY.jpg (58.29 KB, 800x379 - viewed 233 times.)

The Secret of Life is One Thing..........Just One Thing! (Curly in City Slickers)
Citizen of CAS City #203 * SASS L # 10461 * SBSS # 2064 DWSA # 120 * GAF Intern. #694* IPSAC #43 * Prayer Posse * WartHog * B.o.t.A. >>>------>*

Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 10:50:03 pm »

My very first Cas shooter was Henry Carbine from Navy Arms in 44-40 about 1980. Later that year or in 81, In a trade, I also aquired a 66 Yellowboy SRC in 38spc. also another Uberti from Navy Arms.
I preferred the Henry, and with a young'n' on the way in 1988, I sold the Yellowboy.
I bet, I put 10,000 rounds through the Henry, in 9 years and whole lot of BP Blanks made from 444 Marlin brass in CW reenacting.
I wore the blue off but the gun still functioned without issue except an accidental bent magazine follower spring .
 I browned the barrel, and it served me well, until I allowed a fellow to talk me in to selling it to him in 1988...
I acquired a Marlin Cowboy in 45 LC, and it was not bad, used it a few years.
I still regretted the Henry's selling ( The same fellow still has it, I offered to buy it back , no sale ) though.
So the wife surprised me in 1999 with a New Henry Military Rifle for Christmas.
Not quite as nimble as the 2" shorter carbine was, but still I was  Grin happy.
I've since sold the Marlin.
I was about to trade a Replica Muzzle loader Fowler for a Uberti 73, but a NIB Spencer carbine was available and it beckoned me.

The Henry suits me just fine & and the Spencer keeps me grinning in my post CW era persona.
As Sgt. Drydock said ...it's/they have "STYLE"

EDIT:   should anyone be interested

I had re enter the years as , Memory was flawed...

The 1st. Henry was bought in 1980 & sold in 88  ....I did succeed to finally buy it back in 2010 ( it was PO that said I sold it to him in 88  ... He had not shot it in 20 years ....
In the mean time, I got the one my wife bought, sold the Marlin & the Spencer (actually traded for an Steel Frame Henry )
Bought a 73 (2007 ) , and got a Henry HRA H011 in 2013 ( thats the 1860's Model )

And earlier this year a circa 1989 NOS JH Marlin in 32/20 ( not really my cowboy gun, only holds 7 ) but mighty sweet .

That's 4 Henry's , the 73 short Rifle , and the Marlin ....  

Had a guy want to buy , ol #1 1980 Henry , so I sold it , on the 1/2 down 1/2 in a month that became 3 months into 4 months
So , with his money returned ...ol #1 is home and as the saying goes, If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn’t, then it was never meant to be  Wink
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006, 08:07:34 pm »

I decided before I started in CAS [NOCWS] about 2 year ago that I wanted to arm myself with a Colt SAA and a 1873 Winchester!   A good friend let me shoot one of each of his 'till I could buy mine.  I am quite pleased with my 73.  Handles well and shoots better than I do. Grin  I am satisfied with my choice.  I'm never going to be fast enough to be really competitive,  that would take way too much practice! Shocked  I've become a lazy ole fart and am happy to make as much smoke and noise as the best of them!  Style points are much more important to me that fastest time anyway! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick
Long Johns Wolf
Top Active Citizen

"Centaures will make you become addicted"

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2007, 11:07:32 am »

I got this beautiful ASM Winchester 92 rifle in .45 Colt for X-mas a couple of years back from my wife. Had to pay a gunsmith deerly to get it into a reliable working condition (which it never was). Shot it during my first 2 CAS seasons until it broke down once too often. Next was a ASP Winchester 73 carbine converted from .44-40 to .44 Colt. Very reliable shooter and never let me down. After promising long-range experience 2004 with a brass framed Henry converted from .44-40 to .44 Colt (again) I am in the process of getting my new steel Henry in .44 Colt/Special battle ready.
Bootsie

BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS
Mustang Gregg
.44 BP GUNFIGHTER
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2007, 12:51:23 am »

Dad & I have always  Win M-1892 fans.  We have a Win, 2 Brownies, 1 Hartford, 1 Rossi.  All are slick & pretty competetive.
But Calamity likes the Marlin M-1894's.

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net
boot strap jack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2007, 11:57:18 pm »

right now emf 92 short rifle in 45 colt. price was right due to a big dent in mag tube by fore end cap. a little massaging dent is gone and the gun shots good. Did handle a 73 and 66 today and I think I will probaly end up with one or both, in 45. It did surprize the little lady that I did not buy one on the spot. the problem is which one?
Ransom Gaer
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2008, 09:37:18 pm »

I started with an Improved Henry('66) in .45 Colt.  Great rifle and I still have it as a backup gun.  I now use an 1860 Henry.  Many more style points than the '66 or '73, but still has the same smooth toggle link action.  The Henry also fits the time I portray: 1863 perfectly.

Ransom Gaer

Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM
JL McGillicuddy
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2008, 07:46:43 pm »

I opted for the 20" 1873 pistol grip rifle from Cimarron.  The pistol grip feels better to me than straight stock rifles do, though I have handled some nice straight stocks.  I like the 20" length as not being too long or too short for what we do around here.  Goes in and out of windows well and is just heavy enough to balance nicely for my hand.  I considered a round barreled carbine, but like the extra weight of the octagon barrel. 

I opted for the 1873 model based on reliability and style.  It looks better to my eye than most of the other rifles.  I like the 1866 models, also, but was hesitant to try the "more difficult" break down for cleaning.  Now that I have handled a '66 and gotten to see how little difference there is in the takedown, that will likely be my next rifle. 

For caliber I went with .45 Colt.  Number one reason was to match ammo with my pistols.  I got into this game to begin with because I wanted .45 Colt single action pistols.  It does require a bit more cleaning than some other calibers, but I don't mind.  I prefer to clean my guns following each match, anyway.  Keeps the house smelling nice. Grin

Jack Lee
Dalton Masterson
Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 03:26:06 pm »

Depending on if I am shooting Black powder or not, I shoot a Pedersoli Lightning, or a Win 73.

I used to shoot the lightning with black, but dont want to take it apart more than necessary anymore. I now shoot black in the 73 only, as its easier to clean up afterward.

Both of them have straight grips, as they just feel better to me.

The lightning feels better with a longer barrel as it doesnt bounce the sight picture around near as much as with a short barrel. I think its a 26". Maybe 24".  Cant remember now.  Huh

My 73 also has a long barrel on it, but my wife has a 18" barrel on hers, and it feels fine.

Both of them are in 45 Colt, but work fine with my Schofield loads too.

A heavier bullet seems to make my Lightning run a little smoother.

DM

SASS #51139L
Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/
www.runniron.com
Plum Creek Leatherworks on Facebook
Marshal J.D.Lightning
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 09:36:38 am »

Started out about 5 years ago with a new S/S 24" Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. This rifle has served me well with no problems & will eat anything I feed it  Grin Grin Grin This is a standard rifle & is very smooooooth right out of the box  Wink

My darling wife just got me a new Uberti 66 19' carbine in 45 Colt to use for my B/P loads. Shot it last week & love it  Roll Eyes

Use the 92 with the Schofields or the 66 with the Dragoons, too many decisions to be made, just have to use them all  Cool Cool Cool

Take care, shoot straight & have fun with them leverguns.

Lightning

Marshal J.D.Lightning
Provost Marshal. US Cavalry
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528
Fingers McGee
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

Smoke & Fire

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 01:47:25 pm »

Main Match Rifle is a Uberti 1866 Carbine in 44-40.  For back-ups, I have a '73 short rifle, '60 Henry, and Colt Lightning - all in 44-40.

Reason for these is same as for my pistols.  They are correct for the period and the persona I portray - Ex Civil War Confederate Cavalry Sgt that is serving as Justice of the Peace in an East Texas town around 1880. 

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - LTG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozarks Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce
Curly Red Ryder
Active citizen

CAS-France life member #64 SASS life 83495

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 04:42:13 pm »

Use two Chapparal 1873 replicas, one rifle and one short rifle, both magazine limited to 10 rounds according to French laws.
Thinking to play to in B western categ (Red Ryder is for sure a B western character) and so will use my older 1892 Rossi rifle. 1873 are both .44/40 to match woith my handguns caliber abd the Rossi is .44mag.

Successful me! No I begin!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  CAS FAQ (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Main Match rifles and why... « previous next »
Jump to: