Author Topic: A point I was pondering on  (Read 12362 times)

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A point I was pondering on
« on: February 28, 2004, 11:23:33 AM »
I noticed that the SASS Classic catagory allows two pistols while trying to keep a true old cowboy theme.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to use one pistol and if you had to go through ten rounds you would have to load on the clock. I'm sure that's what the Good Old Boys had to do.

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: A point I was pondering on
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 12:06:46 PM »
Nine Toe, while most might agree don't ever bring up the subject on the SASS Wire.  You'll get your head tore off :o

Seems as many want to shoot 10 pistol, 10 rifle and 4 to 6 shotgun on every stage.  Get's pretty boring to me but at least you know how many rounds you need for a match. ;)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 01:02:37 PM »
It seems right to me to, Nine Toes.  There's also the fact that it reduces amount of gear needed by about $500.
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:05:46 AM »

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 05:35:47 PM »
Hey Will,
What I was driving at is you can shoot 10 pistol rounds but you have to reload the second five on the clock and from your gunbelt or pouch
I will heed your warning about the SASS wire. I want to keep my head.  However they have to come north of the 54th Parallel to get me. You need a dog team for the last 100 miles. Mush

Never thought of the $500.00 reduction Sedona

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 07:48:32 PM »
Nine Toe, you won't get an argument from me.  When I started 2 guns on a stage was the exception not the rule. 

What I was referring to was that on the SASS Wire people have been verbally lynched by broaching the subject :(

NCOWS has a couple of proposed classes that would have only a handgun and a rifle.  One is called "working cowboy".  Some posses are already shooting it. 

I will be reporting on it over at the NCOWS Hall after the convention.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 09:42:00 PM »
Howdy 9TJ,

I think that the two gun mantle is permanently installed in SASS.  That's just the way it's gonna be at SASS shoots.  Scoring and consistency are a couple of the reasons, but custom is probably the strongest.

I think clubs that have been around for a bit and are steady will begin to try out other ways.  We plan on a Junior or newbie class that will forego the shotgun, as the recoil really seems to scare some folks.

Adios all,

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 10:03:07 PM »
Well so much for ponderin'  From what I can tell it really doesn't matter what SASS allows, a club can always set one or two stages as a one pistol stage if they like and not go against the rules. 

Got a discussion going anyway.  ;D

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 01:32:56 AM »
Personally I'd favor a ONE pistol class, IF I could use my Schofield speedloader!!  I'll not go down the 'two pistol' discussion road; many thorns and "some" get real upset.  Be SAFE ya'll.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 09:32:39 AM »
Yep, you can write the stages however you want to.  I have shot all shotgun stages, rifle/pistols, even a couple where you had X number of rounds and you could divide them up into what ever firearms you wanted to use, engage all the targets in the order and with the firearm of your choice. THat was probably one of the most fun stages I have shot.
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 11:48:35 AM »
Jax, I like those stages to.  They are a change from the 10,10 & 4.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 12:39:18 PM »
Personally I'd favor a ONE pistol class, IF I could use my Schofield speedloader!!  I'll not go down the 'two pistol' discussion road; many thorns and "some" get real upset.  Be SAFE ya'll.

Yer right on there...if the one pistol/10 shot stage gets popular sales of schofields will explode.  I know thats the gun I would be using.  Maybe we better buy one NOW before they raise the price $200 (or more) like they did with everything else that got popular in cowboy shooting.  The one rifle one pistol no shotgun stage really appeals to me. 
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 12:49:53 PM »
Of course, that's why they went to two guns.  Folks wanted to shoot more and the Schofields gave the "gamers" of the day a big advantage.  And a Schofield costs about twice as much, so not much savings.

CAS is just pretty good fun.  It costs a bit, but really.. it's cheap for a good pasttime.

Adios,

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2004, 12:56:20 PM »
Of course, that's why they went to two guns.  Folks wanted to shoot more and the Schofields gave the "gamers" of the day a big advantage.

Ahhhhh.... the light bulb goes on.  I've  wonderd why they decide on two guns instead of one with a re-load.  I get it now.....Thanks

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2004, 01:10:11 PM »
Ain't nothing new under the sun, now is there..

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 06:51:23 PM »
I personally would like to see more stages written with one pistol, but for the xyz safety factor, having the shooter load two pistols at a "calm" site, the loading table reduces possible accidents when the shooter is in the adrelin rush with time ticking....  That's my quess what the lawyers told those folks at the HQ..... :)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2004, 09:29:50 AM »
One of the "benefits" of a "one revolver" class would be the associated cost reduction.
C&WAS is not a cheap game to buy into - especially for a new guy first hearing its siren song, and we're just talking about the shooting battery and not the clothing andleather...
The happy by-product would be all those "extra" revolvers available for sale to those new guys...
They could use the savings to buy more ammunition, or a "better" rifle, the sellers could get new leather, the vendors could vend and the makers could make and everyone'd win.
What a concept!

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Tres Equis

• Low Plains Drifter
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2004, 07:46:16 PM »
Why don't you write a couple of stages for your club that only require one pistol?

"I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it."

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 08:57:18 AM »
We had a pard moved to our area from New York.  He explained that tin the New York club, they had a one pistol category for folks that either didn't have two or wanted to shoot just one.

As to reloading, most of us are pretty slow at doing a  full pistol reload - except the top shooters of course.  So that normally slows down the pace quite a bit and except for the fun of watching fumbles  ;D , most folks get tired of it pretty soon.

So the idea of a single pistol category is a good option, especially at local matches.  But it wouldn't have to be the classic category, because many newer shooters may not want to start off shooting duelist style.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 06:57:14 PM »
Yep, you can write the stages however you want to.  I have shot all shotgun stages, rifle/pistols, even a couple where you had X number of rounds and you could divide them up into what ever firearms you wanted to use, engage all the targets in the order and with the firearm of your choice. THat was probably one of the most fun stages I have shot.

We've done something like this at a local match except you did have a required number of round for each gun.  Targets were all knock downs and you could shoot them in any order with any gun.  It gets interesting!  I love 'em like that!
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 12:09:25 AM »
Howdy, Pards.  The SECRET to a quick reload is to use a "Schofield Speedloader" (illegal of course), but it is fun. Without it I can reload my Schofield: best time = 8 seconds, worst time = I'll never tell.  Shoot straight and be SAFE.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com