Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 01:29:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Cas City  |  Greetings!  |  Topic: Loading 410 Brass BP ShotShells 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loading 410 Brass BP ShotShells  (Read 3813 times)
CaptainquickDraw
Citizen

« on: May 27, 2012, 01:22:05 pm »

Howdy, I'm new to this here place and I wanted to throw a wild card question out in the field to see is anybody knew anything that could provide me an answer.I have been shooting black powder muzzies all my life, mostly cap and ball, as well as trusty 45-90s. I use brass cases for my old DBBL l Damascus shotguns, and it is a hoot, they are great for dove season, and the smoke and noise is a lot of fun seeing the reaction from other shooters.
My question has to do with reloading 410 shells using Goex or similar. I was told by fellow  cowboy shooter buddy that there are not a lot of load data for the 410 using black powder, and maybe I should just stick to the usual shotgun reloading powders, as the 410 is a tricky shell to load for, said it is the best thing, save the BP loads for the coach gun.

I am inclined to disagree politely , but the only load data for a Black powder 410 I came across for brass shells was a 40 BP 2 FF grain by volume load, and it aint cutting it with steel shot pretty much deforms the cases to the point where I have to toss them. Live in Kali and we only have steel shot nowadays and am unsure of what possible powder and shot combinations exist for loading Black powder 410 Loads. Can anyone offer me some advice and loading data, powder charges and such for reloading Black Powder 410 shells? The old girl I shoot does not like modern 410 shells and I am afraid to shoot anything by Black powder in her.
Thanks a bunch in advance for your sage advice !
Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:38:32 am »

Welcome to CAS City.

You should ask this question in The Darksider's Den.

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:50:19 am »

I notice that you are very, very new here.  Use the search function and answsers to some of your questions might pop up,  By all means go to the Darksiders Den, and its child board the Dark Arts. Doing so leads you to the following BP load table from GOEX;

http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Breechloading-SG-Shells.pdf  The recommended 410 load is UNDER 30 Grains!!

As I have never done it, I did a quick google search and found no direct answer to your question elsewhere.  I was wondering about the case damage you describe at 40 grains of FFg.  Go here for some info;

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=247063.0

One poster suggests that a PROOF LOAD for the 2 1/2 inch shell at the turn of the Century (the one before last!) was 1 1/2 drams. (Dram = 27.35 grains) You might be close to the BP proof load, but some posters go to 40 gr.  I would immediately go down to 25, or so, grains, and work up from there if room allows. Try a .45 card wad, a wonderwad, and a paper wrap instead of a plastic shot cup.  See how much room is left for the smallest non toxic shot available at a reasonable price (probably means steel?) and top with another card wad, and glue in.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
CaptainquickDraw
Citizen

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 03:18:54 pm »

Welcome to CAS City.

You should ask this question in The Darksider's Den.

Slim

Thanks Slim, I appreciate your welcome, and I hope to learn a lot from the good folks in this here forum.

Cap
CaptainquickDraw
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:27:29 pm »

""The recommended 410 load is UNDER 30 Grains!!
As I have never done it, I did a quick google search and found no direct answer to your question elsewhere.  I was wondering about the case damage you describe at 40 grains of FFg.""

Sir Charles thank you so much, boy howdy, Now I know why the shells were getting all buckled up and bell looking, the load was too much for the cases. I am surprised the old lady took all that pressure. Yeah I thought it was due to the steel shot on the soft brass cases(Magtech) but now I am sure it is due to the 40 grains of 2FF that I loaded, kicked like a mule so I should figured something was amiss.I really appreciate your sage advise, and I really appreciate the links to the charge load data. I guess I will have to mosey over to the Den forum and poke around for what I can find. Thank you all so much for helping guide and mentor a newbie and see you around.

Cap
 Smiley

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=247063.0

One poster suggests that a PROOF LOAD for the 2 1/2 inch shell at the turn of the Century (the one before last!) was 1 1/2 drams. (Dram = 27.35 grains) You might be close to the BP proof load, but some posters go to 40 gr.  I would immediately go down to 25, or so, grains, and work up from there if room allows. Try a .45 card wad, a wonderwad, and a paper wrap instead of a plastic shot cup.  See how much room is left for the smallest non toxic shot available at a reasonable price (probably means steel?) and top with another card wad, and glue in.
[/quote]
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 05:36:22 pm »

Cap'n;  No sweat! Smiley  Everybody gets their opportunity to learn the hard way.  Embarrassed

I'm glad nothin bad happened. Smiley

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Cas City  |  Greetings!  |  Topic: Loading 410 Brass BP ShotShells « previous next »
Jump to: