Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 12:29:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Chapperal 50-95 Short Rifle ------ Update ( Pics Added ) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chapperal 50-95 Short Rifle ------ Update ( Pics Added )  (Read 14195 times)
GeezerD
Active citizen

"Back Off Varmints"

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 06:52:08 am »

Well, I made it to the range today. My initial loading is a 365 gr cast bullet w/ SPG lube .512 dia in front of 16 gr of Trail Boss powder. Loaded in cases formed from Starline 50-90 Sharps brass  w/ CCI magnum rifle primer. COL = 2.275 in.  Feed and function was without problems. I only had 10 rds loaded, so I fired 2 - 5rd groups at 50yds. Both groups were about 2 1/2 inches and I think that is acceptable considering my eyesight and the buckhorn sights.
                                                                                                                          GeezerD
Pitchy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:13:25 am »

Great thread, great work and great shooting pard.  Cool

USAF 72-76
DAV member
GeezerD
Active citizen

"Back Off Varmints"

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 07:23:22 pm »

In reloading the first batch of fired cases, I notice that the shoulder is behind where the shoulder is formed with the RCBS full length resizing die. So in effect I am only neck sizing the cases. And this is after setting the barrel back .050 to correct the headspace. From what I have read, there are no hard and fast dimensions for the 50-95 wcf chamber but Chapperal must have just picked some numbers out of the air. 

However, case expansion is minimal and I don't anticipate any serious problems. It seems to work well in arctic conditions but I hope spring gets here soon. -------------------------------- GeezerD
Oregon Bill
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 02:03:13 pm »

Geezer, it is wonderful to see an out-of-spec rifle brought into full compliance by a talented machinist.
 Wink
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 12:50:49 pm »

Sheesh ... looks like all the rumours about Chapparal guns is right!

I have a line on a nice looking '73 octagonal carbine in 44-40, but .... I'm not up to rebuilding it, nor do I care to farm the work out to get a proper working rifle.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Chapperal 50-95 Short Rifle ------ Update ( Pics Added ) « previous next »
Jump to: