Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 04:56:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Cutting Edge (Moderator: St. George)  |  Topic: Throwing knife 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Throwing knife  (Read 9116 times)
Pitchy
Top Active Citizen

« on: April 29, 2012, 09:30:49 am »

Made this throwing, wood chopping what ever knife while back.

USAF 72-76
DAV member
Silent Joe
The Netherlands
Top Active Citizen

Lady Lis and Me

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:15:31 pm »

That's a hell of a knife, Pard.

The Secret of Life is One Thing..........Just One Thing! (Curly in City Slickers)
Citizen of CAS City #203 * SASS L # 10461 * SBSS # 2064 DWSA # 120 * GAF Intern. #694* IPSAC #43 * Prayer Posse * WartHog * B.o.t.A. >>>------>*

Pitchy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:42:59 pm »

Thanks, made it from a buzz saw blade, good and sturdy for throwing not that i`m any good at it.

A couple more i made. burl oak slabs.

old hacksaw blade.

USAF 72-76
DAV member
Silent Joe
The Netherlands
Top Active Citizen

Lady Lis and Me

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:11:12 pm »

Cool. Nice work.  Smiley

The Secret of Life is One Thing..........Just One Thing! (Curly in City Slickers)
Citizen of CAS City #203 * SASS L # 10461 * SBSS # 2064 DWSA # 120 * GAF Intern. #694* IPSAC #43 * Prayer Posse * WartHog * B.o.t.A. >>>------>*

GunClick Rick
Top Active Citizen

May your moccasins walk the way of peace

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:18:36 pm »

Ain't nuttin wrong with them! Smiley I just picked up a couple good strieght area antlers today for ten bucks.

May your lodges hold much tatanka~
Pitchy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:34:23 pm »

Those should make some nice handles.  Cool

USAF 72-76
DAV member
ChurchandSon
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 05:10:04 pm »

Pitchy, that's some nice iron...Really like the friction folder, been wanting to try one....Randy

A Pilgrim in the Unholy Land of Kydex
Pitchy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 05:17:33 pm »

Thanks, those were my first attempts at making one, i should make another one some day as i`ve given away most of them knives.

USAF 72-76
DAV member
Dan Gerous
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »

Pitchy, that throwing knife looks just like one I bought at rendezvous a long time ago. A good ol' boy from Missouri was making them from sawmill blades with oak handles. It makes a mighty satisfying "thunk" when it sticks!

All growed up and still playin' Cowboy!
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 10:59:34 pm »

When I was buckskinnin' I made several throwing knives, and 2 or 3 tomahawks.  For the knives I have used torsion plates from old classic VW bugs, but the best ones were from chainsaw bars*, with leather scales.  (*free from chainsaw repair shops.)

The "hawks" were garage sale hatchets shape-shifted with an angle grinder. New handles were made straight from hammer & axe handles.

The length of both hawk & knife should be the same, and the length measured from elbow to knuckles of a closed fist. That came to 16 inches for me. That way they make close to identical "turns", on the way to the target.  After a lot of practice you can stick at most ranges, by altering the speed and follow-thru of the throw.  I practiced a lot (Thereby being accused of taking an unfair advantage!) and could stick about 50% of throws up to 10 paces (3 full turns) and the "thunk" was very satisfying.  The best hawk & knife man I knew had been a Logging skills competitor who could stick a double-bitted axe at 25 yards;- for money! A good score on the knife and hawk trail in our local competitions could usually lead to a top combined score for the overall prize.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:20:59 am »

Here's a picture of a couple of mine.  They were made from chain saw bars, just like Sir Charles'.  They are 'weighty' and virtually indestructable, and at just short of 16" length, make one full revolution (held by the handle) in about 4 paces.  Each additional revolution adds about 3 1/2 paces to the distance.  It takes a good arm to stick consistantly at three turns distance.
Pitchy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 03:07:23 pm »

Thanks guys, I`ve been away for a while so didn`t see your replies.
I got into building steam engines and other stuff and haven`t been shooting much or making knives.
Those are nice knives, I never heard of using chainsaw bars before I`ll have to give it a try.  Cool

USAF 72-76
DAV member
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Cutting Edge (Moderator: St. George)  |  Topic: Throwing knife « previous next »
Jump to: