Author Topic: 1/3 the way there!  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1/3 the way there!
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
I finished this one and really like it BUT, those funky bends are not holding up well on the drop panels to effectively hold the gun butts where they need to be.  The most permanent  solution will be a metal skeleton but for now theis one actually pleases me very well.  Now I need to make a left handed version with a matching belt.  I strapped this one on last night using an old belt worn low on the hip, putting the grip only a couple of inches above my wrist.  In the right hands this could be fast and I did have a tiny bit of the trigger guard peeking past the main seam to allow an offhand style draw.  Normally I do like to sew with black thread against this chestnut dye ut I will do that on the left hand holster.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: 1/3 the way there!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »
Looks good, Bob.  8)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
Thanks Marshall, will not be in the shop much for the next couple to several weeks as Mom is coming to visit fer a short spell.  I am planning to do a lefty to match this one but plan to go back to cross draw for myself.  I have a couple more patterns to work on before turning my attention to some seriuos work on metal liners.  Red Cent has seriously intrigued me with trying to do a main seam stitch on the front of a 'funnel' holster and I gots to scratch that itch now also! 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:02:53 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

Looking good Bob

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
Bob, I will add some other preferences in holsters. Red Cent's two cents. Minimize the holster "back flap". If you put on the belt "ears", have the skirt or back flap not be seen below the belt. Go as small as you can and maintain sturdiness.  Make enough drop to put the grip's top most tip just above the wrists. No one in the top 50 cowboy shooters use a Johnny Ringo hi-ride. Make the top outside of the holster to allow just a touch of flare for ease in reholstering. Most will want a minimal holster. Rather see a touch of steel of the barrel at the bottom rather than inch of empty holster.
I love it when style and function get together. Especially in the hands of a craftsman.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
Red Cent's two cents worth is correct. You want the drop to be right where he says. I accomplished the same thing with standard holsters and double crossed belts. I find it more comfortable than a stiff drop-holster and I'm competitive with that setup. I do have to use tie-downs to keep the holsters from riding up when I draw. I also don't have much to hang a belt on so I had to go that way initially to keep from having my gun belt drop down around my ankles. Here's a pic to show how that looks. It's also more historically correct and a shotgun slide can hang on the outside belt nicely or you can make a belt with shotgun loops on it (see second photo), although these days, I prefer a shotgun belt for the right side.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com