Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 03:55:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Darksider's Den  |  The Dark Arts (Moderator: Lucky Irish Tom)  |  Topic: Home-made Lube 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Home-made Lube  (Read 31314 times)
Driftwood Johnson
Driftwood Johnson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 10:31:37 am »

Howdy

There really does not need to be any mysticism or wizardry behind BP lubes. All that is required is it be 'gooey' enough to impart some moisture to the fouling, and rigid enough that it does not fall apart.

A simple 50/50 mixture of Beeswax and Crisco always served me pretty well. I mixed it 50/50 by eye and did not make a big deal about measuring it.

Today I use SPG. It is a little 'gooier' than my old 50/50 Beeswax/Crisco mix and it flows very well through my lubrisizer.

Thats bad business! How long do you think Id stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If hed pay me that much to stop robbing him, Id stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!
Springfield Slim
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 12:40:15 am »

I prefer to use Lanolin to impart some stickiness. At least i know what it is, unlike bowl rings. More expensive, thoough, but a little goes a long way.

Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster
Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 04:25:14 pm »

Left over Yankee Candle wax from burnt out candles n Crisco tossed in a glass jar n microwaved.

Dont think Cousin Tom liked it much when I handed im a jar of it but I think hell admit it werked good.  Smells good too.  Easy to adjust for the weather.  So easy even a caveman can do it n no bugs.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldnt be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 05:06:59 pm »

Half deer taller and half beeswax, still lube in bulletes dug out of the backstop out of a 30 inch barrel with an RCBS 500 GRer.  Nice big wet lube star on the bizznes end and seems to work the same from 100f to -10, gets hotter or colder I'll must likely not be shootin'.  Makes a good hand cream for dry skin and works on chapped lips also.  Helps callous's on Lab knees and might even cure other things. ain't tried it yet.  The deer taller is free and the bee's wax would be if I was brave enough to rob that bee tree I know of.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 07:49:56 am »

Cuts I got that idea when readin' 'bout the buffalo hunters that used lubed rather than paper patched boolets.  Don't even remember where, but back before I even had a Sharps to try it in.  Just didn't have a buffalo to render so went the next best thing and being a cook I'd cooked a bunch of both and knew the taller was very similar and not at all like that from a cow or pig.

Maybe not important to everyone, but it is a period lube also. Wink

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Dick Dastardly
Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 07:47:46 am »

There's a reason why PL-II, SPG and other available prepared lube sticks have the kind of formulas they do.  Since there's no way of knowing the conditions, weather, temperature etc, the lube has to be a compromise that works in all of them out to the extreme.

If I could get a smaller "window" of conditions that shooters were dealing with I could make my recipe for PL-II for that specific application.  That ain't goin' to happen so I have to make a formula wax alloy that will perform in the extremes.

DD-DLoS

Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Darksider's Den  |  The Dark Arts (Moderator: Lucky Irish Tom)  |  Topic: Home-made Lube « previous next »
Jump to: